PDA

View Full Version : New Additions?

NKBurlington
11-10-2004, 07:02 AM
I'm a bit nervous about this but . . .

D and I are going to take a couple of cats from his brother. He is engaged and his fiance is allergic to cats. He's been trying to find them a home for months and we've been thinking of getting a couple more kitties.

They are about nine years old. One of them actually was given to BIL by us. We wanted a playmate for our Jessie Girl but they did not get along very well, so we gave her to BIL. Now, she's coming back to us. Strange.

Anyway, I'm a bit nervous because I don't know how our resident boys will react. They been nuetered so I hope they won't spray. I've heard that neutered males can still spray so I'm afraid.

Samantha is Female and Vos is male so there will be three boys and one girl cat in the house. Do you think they'll get along?

We're going to put the new kitties in the basement (there is a large room with a door where I work out and plenty of room for them roam around in) until we are ready to introduce them. We will do supervised visits at first until everyone has sniffed each other's bums and they get to know each other. The newbies will stay in the locked basement when we are away at work until we are comfortable with leaving all four babies alone together.

Please keep your fingers crossed that it all works out.

BIL is not getting married until next July so we have lots of time to decide if it's going to work. If not, they go back. I hope it doesn't come to that.

We are planning on picking them up next weekend (Friday night). We have to drive to Toronto and back. It's about a forty minute drive so I hope the cats don't mind the ride home.

catmandu
11-10-2004, 08:41 AM
I hope,too taht they learn,to get along,as well,as The Found Cats,as there is very little fighting here,as even Princess,seems a lot calmer,even though,she has lost a lot,of her sight.Switch,the Cats around,in thier rooms,so they are used,to each others scents.

catlover4ever
11-10-2004, 09:09 AM
Sounds like you have the right plan....I ordered Feliway plug-in's for my house and this has calmed the "resident crew" when I introduced Gracie and Gabe into the house this weekend. I'm sure everything will work out fine.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-10-2004, 09:34 AM
I think you've got the right plan also. If it were 3 girls and one boy I'd be a little more worried, but if you stick to "the plan" I don't think you'll have any troubles. It make take a little time, but I think eventually they'll all claim their own space, getting the pecking order straight and peace will reign! :D

kimlovescats
11-10-2004, 10:23 AM
I agree that you have a good setup and plan for the introduction. Just take it slow, and I think it will work!;)

jazzcat
11-10-2004, 11:17 AM
I agree with the others that you have a good plan. Here At my house the Feliway Plug-ins and spray have helped a lot with keeping every one calmed.

Since you have two cats already then you have good chances of it going well because they are used to other cats. My poor Ripely was an only cat for over 10 years before I introduced more cats to him. It was rough sailing for a while and he still doesn't get along with Scout but it's a liveable situation.

As for spraying, yes neutered males can spray, Ripley is proof of that but it doesn't mean it will happen with any of your guys.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing pictures.