PDA

View Full Version : Cheesy Vegetable Soup

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-09-2004, 05:05 PM
At Thursday's last week everyone wanted my Cheesy Vegetable Soup recipe. So here's the actual recipe. However, I haven't looked at the recipe since I first got it, and it turns out I have veered far from the recipe. :o So first of all I'll give you the recipe, then I'll tell you how I actually make it and you can use either or, or combine like I did.

Cheesy Vegetable Soup

1 medium head cauliflower, broken into little pieces
1 medium carrot, shredded
¼ cup chopped celery
2 cups water
2 tsp chicken bullion granules
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
¾ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 cups milk
4 ounces (1 cup) cheddar cheese

In large saucepan combine cauliflower, carrots celery, water and bullion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until veggies are tender.

In another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat continuously stirring for 2 minutes or until thick. Reduce heater. Stir in cheese until melted. Stir in cauliflower mixture.

Ok, what I do is I use a big can of low sodium chicken broth instead of water. I still add 1 or two bullion cubes to taste. I use frozen veggies. Put broth, veggies and bullion in a pot. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer until veggies are tender.

In the meantime I make a white sauce which you do by mixing equal parts of fat(butter) and flour. So if you use 1/2 cup butter, then you need 1/2 cup flour. I usually end up using an entire stick of butter and end up adding a bit more flour to make it a little thicker. Then I add the white sauce to the soup, stir it in, then add cheese. I usually use a whole bag of cheese because I'm a cheesehead at heart, but I leave a little bit left in the bag to sprinkle over the top when serving.

So, I hope you can decipher between the two of them because the end result is absolutely de-lish-us! And I'm starving right now and wish I had some of this at home to snarf down when I get there!

Jods
11-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Mmmmmmmmm that sounds really good.

DJFyrewolf36
11-09-2004, 05:07 PM
OOOOOHHH that sounds so good!

Sigh, my house is so food deficient right now. Only one more day till payday (and I'll probibly focus more on feeding Remus and the Ratties than on feeding me lol)

aly
11-09-2004, 05:24 PM
That sounds SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!! I can't wait to try it!

wolflady
11-09-2004, 05:43 PM
Uh OH....did someone say CHEESE!!! This sounds so yummy, I just may have to make it this week! Thanks for posting this! I just love the winter, because it's the "soup season" for me! :D

Of course, if there is cheese involved...it's gotta be good! Cheese always makes it taste better, so don't forget extra cheese! ;)
LOL LOL
http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage11/20.gif

wolflady
11-09-2004, 05:44 PM
I forgot to ask, for the frozen veggies, what do you use? Do you use 1 bag or 2?
Thanks! :D
**hugs**
Karen

trayi52
11-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Oh that does sound so yummy, and I do love cheese!

Willie:D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-09-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
I forgot to ask, for the frozen veggies, what do you use? Do you use 1 bag or 2?
Thanks! :D
**hugs**
Karen

I usually just use one bag of...I think they call it the California mix - broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. Sometimes I throw in another bag of the green beans, corn, carrots(?) mixture, but then you might need to increase the liquid, which means you need to increase the thick white sauce.

I love your little cheesy eater smilie - too funny. :D

Barbara
11-10-2004, 05:19 AM
This sounds yummy:) I also love cheese and soups:D

wolflady
11-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
I usually just use one bag of...I think they call it the California mix - broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. Sometimes I throw in another bag of the green beans, corn, carrots(?) mixture, but then you might need to increase the liquid, which means you need to increase the thick white sauce.

I love your little cheesy eater smilie - too funny. :D

Cool, thanks! I think I actually have a bag or two of the california mix in my freezer, so I'm all set to go! I can't wait. It sounds like such a comfort food! :) I'll be making it this Saturday:)
YUM! :D

Lilith Cherry
11-11-2004, 02:07 AM
mmmm this soup is DELECTABLE!!! Of course I had to make it with Chinese veggies from the local market ( lettuce, chinese greens, watercress, red onions, green peppers, tomato, carrot, garlic and ginger and substitute philly cream cheese for half the cheese :( It's hard to find cheddar in China!) but oh it was sooo good! Thanks for the recipe!

AmberLee
11-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Yum, your version sounds terrific, too, Lilith!

Corinna
11-11-2004, 03:25 PM
I made the cream of cauliflower yesterday added a can og cheese soup Kids never knew they had the veggies. It was wonderful.
I toasted some of the sourdough bread Richard sent and we dipped it in the soup . It was very good and filling.

caseysmom
11-12-2004, 11:55 AM
I made this last night it was great! I made a few alterations, I doubled the recipe and instead of milk I used half buttermilk/half regular milk. I also added 4 diced potatoes. The kids loved it!

Jods
11-12-2004, 12:41 PM
What are bullion granules? Are they the same as Bullion cubes??if so do you still add 2?

sirrahbed
11-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Jods
What are bullion granules? Are they the same as Bullion cubes??if so do you still add 2?
The granules are a crumbly mixture that usually come in a short plastic or glass tub/jar. One teaspoon is about like one bouillion cube. I keep a tub each of chicken, beef and ham in the pantry and think they are great!! I think they taste better than the cubes though they might be just crumbled up cubes!!

wolflady
11-22-2004, 06:30 PM
I can't believe I forgot to post to say that I tried this a couple of weekends ago and it was delicious! I also ended up adding a can of cheddar cheese soup to the mix...YUM!
I'm actually going to be making it again tomorrow night for my parents (who are out visiting me for Thanksgiving), and my friends (who are vegetarian), while we watch the 3rd Harry Potter movie that finally comes out! Yay!

**hugs**
Karen

slick
11-22-2004, 07:09 PM
I'm going shopping tomorrow and I was thinking this morning that I would make this for dinner tomorrow night. However I'm going to use fresh vegetables instead of the frozen ones. I was thinking of using califlower, broccoli, carrots a maybe throw in a few green beans...depending on the price. This time of year fresh veggies aren't cheap around here.

wolflady
11-22-2004, 09:40 PM
That will be real yummy, slick! We'll both be eating cheesy veggie soup tomorrow night! Yum! :D

slick
11-25-2004, 05:02 PM
Well, I never made it the other night, but tonight's the night. I've decided to include leeks, fennel, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and potatoes. I'll let you know how it turns out. Also have a baguette with my home-made garlic butter. The good thing about pets is that they don't care about stinky breath. :eek: :D

Debbie, is this soup freezable?? Usually I don't freeze anything with milk in it.