PDA

View Full Version : a sad anniversary

davidpizzica
11-09-2004, 03:41 AM
I lost my father 4 years ago today. I miss him terribly. If he was still living, he would be 100 on December 3rd. He was incredible, he stopped driving a car at 93, and at the age of 89, he was able to play seven holes of golf carrying his own bag! I still miss him.

Killearn Kitties
11-09-2004, 03:49 AM
:( That is a sad anniversary, David. Your father sounds great, and a very lucky man to have had his health for so long. I hope you don't feel too down today.

davidpizzica
11-09-2004, 03:52 AM
Thank you, Karen.

moosmom
11-09-2004, 06:47 AM
David,

Like I told you on the phone last night, keep a candle burning for him throughout the day and keep him in your thoughts. That's what I do on my Dad's anniversary. It helps.

I'll be thinking of you today. Hang in there honey!

((((hugs)))))

Karen
11-09-2004, 07:26 AM
Today is a special day, but let it be one of celebration! Start a notebook of stories about your dad today - something that you can look over years from now for happy memories, as well as sad ones. I'm sure the little you've told us doesn't even begin to "capture him," right? ;)

momoffuzzyfaces
11-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Today is a special day, but let it be one of celebration! Start a notebook of stories about your dad today - something that you can look over years from now for happy memories, as well as sad ones. I'm sure the little you've told us doesn't even begin to "capture him," right? ;) That's a great idea. When my dad died in 1999, I inherited the old family photos. After finding out I did not know lots of the people in them, I started doing a family genealogy. I have found lots of wonderful cousins on the Internet and we exchange stories.

I also put stories of Dad in the family history. Like when he went tipped an out house over one Halloween, and was surprised to find it occupied!

I put Dad's pictures in an acid free scrapbook so they will stay safe. They and the stories help me through the rough spots. I can always look at them and remember how wonderful he was. If nothing else, a journal would be a great place to start!

lbaker
11-09-2004, 01:54 PM
The journal thing - with or without an album to go along with it, is a great idea! In fact, I think I'll start one about my Mom. A very good friend of mine (a friend whose name is five letters and starts with a "D" ;) ) once told me he had large shoulders if I needed them. Well we have large shoulders too David. Even if most of us are "gurls" :) Have a gentle evening.

Laurie

davidpizzica
11-09-2004, 02:01 PM
Yes, Laurie, it is kind of a sad day, but thank goodness for PT! Everyone here have collective shoulders that I can lean on. I can really take comfort from that. Thanks.

guineapiglover4life
11-09-2004, 02:35 PM
I'm sorry! You're dad sounds like he was really awsome! :)

shutterbug0303
11-09-2004, 03:06 PM
David....Tough to loose anyone, even after such a wonderful and long life! Your Dad must have been an awesome man! Moosmom's had the perfect idea...light that candle...and also do the journal, if you're into writing. I try to light a candle as often as I can in rememberance of my Dad. Good luck through the rest of the day. Use our shoulder's anytime...:)

QueenScoopalot
11-09-2004, 03:52 PM
As Donna said, light a candle, and raise a glass of wine (or juice) to your beloved dad. :) Keep always in your heart all the fond memories, and he'll always be there. ;)

Miss Meow
11-09-2004, 03:53 PM
I'm sorry it's a sad day for you, David.

You're very lucky to have had him in your life for so long, and he sounds like he was such a character :)

kimlovescats
11-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Wow, David ... he sounds very much like my beloved grandfather ... active up into his late 80's ... he lived to be 93.
((HUGS)) to you on this sad day ... but may his sweet and loving memories bring you comfort, and the promise of seeing him again one day in Heaven.

Kim;)

davidpizzica
11-09-2004, 05:20 PM
Thank you everyone at PT for being so understanding. It was rough thinking about him. He was very special to me. This is why PT is not just aout pets, it is about being one family, and and rallying around a menber going through a tough day. Thank you, PT. the candle is lit.

Jods
11-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Hi,
I will be thinking of you today... Sounds like your Father was a great man especially to have raised a son loving pets!!! The best quality of all LOL... I hope your day is filled with great memories.