PDA

View Full Version : Help on introducing my cats??? Advice please!!!

christa
11-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Right now I'm keeping Brodie in our room, door closed, separated from Josie.

I've never "introduced" a kitten to a cat.

How long should I keep them separate?

I'm treating him for fleas right now. They should be gone by tomorrow afternoon. He's getting another de-wormer tomorrow and another on Thursday. Probably will get his first set of shots Thursday also.

Advice please?

rg_girlca
11-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Well Christa, personally, I think it would be best until all the fleas are gone, had his second de-worming and his first set of shots.

If at all possible, I would keep them seperate for at least a good week. What I did, that I found worked very well with Poppy, was carried him around the house in my arms and very briefly let the others smell his butt as this is what they do with meeting a new animal. I did this for a few days and they I would let them smell each other face to face, with Poppy still in my arms. There was some hissing from Sades, but the rest did well. After a week of doing this, I opened Poppy's door to his room and the rest is history. All in all, I was very lucky that it went well.
BTW, Poppy was 8 weeks old when this all came about. He is now 4 1/2 months old and things are going relatively well.

Good luck with Brodie and i'm sure things will go well with Josie.

christa
11-08-2004, 09:04 PM
A week sounds better than what my vet suggested. She said 2-4 weeks! There's no way I can keep them separated that long! Josie is already really upset that we've blocked her off from that room, and she's hissed at us & huffed & sniffed us all day! I think in a week she'll be calmed down & might be OK with some supervised visits with the kitten in the cage.

LOL, that was funny about letting your cats sniff Poppy's butt. Never thought about it, but it's probably what they're most interested in, LOLOLOL.

Thanks for your reply!

Laura's Babies
11-08-2004, 10:49 PM
I had Lucky and Louie here for 6 days and then I turned them loose. I know Kevlin had let them roam free some at his house so the girls were familiar with them but Chester wasn't. Like I said, there was some growling but no fur flying at my house.

I think what rg told you sounds about as good a advice as you can get. Great idea, carrying them around and letting the sniff each other... I did that but it was such a natural thing to do that I didn't remember doing it until she said that...

I did let Lucky out earlier to wander around when all the others were taking their afternoon naps... we all know NOTHING disturbes their naps!

NoahsMommy
11-09-2004, 12:26 AM
Sometimes it takes time, it really depends on how the resident cat deals with the new addition.

As far as the time needed for your new little one...as long as he's gotten the all clear healthwise, he wont need any time. The babies always tend to want to meet another kitty.

:) Have fun! Your new baby is sooooo cute!

Craftlady
11-09-2004, 06:30 AM
Our story of introductions..... This was with older cats not kittens.

Thumper was isolated 1 week (introduced her to RB Butterscotch) they both pawed each other via closed door. I would put Thumper in carrier and she would be out in living room for 10 mins tops couple time a day. Finally after two weeks, they got tired of pawing each other under the door and became buddies. Since RB Butterscotch was King B for 2 yrs his nose was out of joint it took little more time and patience.

Skinny was introduced to RB Butterscotch and Thumper within a week. He didn't like being isolated wanted to be where action was all the time. He played well with other cats from observations before we brought him in to the house. Once all medical stuff was taken care of he was out and about in house during day when someone was here at home and he went to little room off kitchen when we werent home or over night. We did that for a week. RB Butterscotch was used to us adding on to the gang. Thumper took it in stride also.

Eleanor was introduced to Thumper and Skinny pretty much immediately. Eleanor did not like being isolated. I think she spent 1 ro 2 nights in her little room separated from the others. Eleanor adjusted it seems immediately to our house as photos proved. :)

We have been very lucky when it comes to introducing a new family member. For us it was much easier to introduce with multiples than first time with just one in house prior.

Best advise is go with your instincts. More relaxed you are the better the felines will do. Keep them separated over night and when no one is home to supervise. Have a squirt bottle handy in all rooms. :) More important..... Enjoy your furry kids :) :) :)

catmandu
11-09-2004, 08:37 AM
A week,sounds about right,as you have to make sure Brodie,is all right,and then intoduce them slowly.Put something,atht Brodie,has slept on,so that the Resident Cat,can get the scent,of The Kitten.And,if you can,have them see each other,first. a Cat,is sometimes scrared,of the Kitens energy,I know that The Found Cats,were leary,of the Kittens,taht I Cat Sat.Good Luck.

lizzielou742
11-09-2004, 10:15 AM
I don't think you'd have to wait 2-4 weeks. I would try going the "exchange scent" thing (trading toys) and let them get used to that in the next few days, then open the bedroom door and see how it goes. If it goes bad, separate them again and try later. I found Tito and Sophie were very nervous around each other for a couple of days. There was a lot of chasing each other around the house at top speed. And don't be surprised if little Brodie does the "kitten hiss" (which is so cute, by the way, when they hiss) - he's going to feel threatened by a bigger cat. Sophie hissed at Tito a lot too, and even growled a little. But they both got over it and were fine within three days. Hopefully you have as much luck as I did. :)

sirrahbed
11-09-2004, 10:23 AM
You already have great advice here Christa. The introduction does not have to be a big production - keep it relaxed. Josie is already interested. Give her LOTS of attention and don't make a huge fuss over Brodie - just act like he is part of the furnishings - you know, very relaxed and nonchalant. Before the kitens, I always put the newcomer in a carrier so the residents in a carrier but since Brodie is so small, Lorraine's idea might be best for some good ole butt sniffing. I just used the carrier so they did not associate the "intruder" with me:eek: Honestly there have NEVER been any problems whatsoever beyond the hissing and swatting that we just laugh at because it's part of being a cat:D You might even act surprised at seeing the kitten yourself - along with Josie. You know "oh my! what is this Josie?.... hmmm....looks like fun:)"

christa
11-09-2004, 10:35 AM
You all are awesome . . . what would I do without PT?

:)

Anyway, I'm glad you all think that a week is long enough, because so far, 2 days has been like an eternity! When I opened the door this morning, Josie was sitting there straining her neck to look into the room and see who was in there! She didn't try to get in, just tried to look. We've been letting her sniff our hands, try to get her used to the scent. She hasn't hissed at us since the initial shock. :eek:

I really hope that she takes up with this baby quick. I already feel guilty, like I'm cheating on her, LOL.

RICHARD
11-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
What I did, that I found worked very well with Poppy, was carried him around the house in my arms and very briefly let the others smell his butt as this is what they do with meeting a new animal.

It's been a while since I went out to meet new people...

Have the rules changed THAT much???;)