PDA

View Full Version : Is it real?

Barbara
11-08-2004, 01:36 PM
I think it is somehow personal, but today is the tenth anniversary of a big surgery for me (the only time of my life I was in hospital). It took 9 hours and they removed a benign tumor from my brain (I had some hope to have a better character after but it didn't work out:D ).

I am very grateful to modern medicine because thanks to NMS tomography they could see where the tumor was and had much better chances to cut it out. Benign means that it grew slowly (it had grown about 15 years then:eek: ) and did not grow metastasis but it would have killed me middle term as there is not much room in the brain and sooner or later it would have oppressed some vital vein.

I have to check it every 3 years and up to now everything is ok (and if it came back there would be even better ways of removing it)- so most of the time it's no big thing.

But just today I think of these ten years and all the things that wouldn't have happened if..... and it feels more real than most of the time.

Before this we always had thought there would be lots of time to do all the things we wanted and after that we decided to marry (after 15 years of living together) and getting Filou and Tigris (of course we waited until we were married ;))

I think my life is better with these ten years than it would have been without them.

Sorry for being sentimental ;)

caseysmom
11-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Congratulations on that important anniversary. Glad they could help you.

tatsxxx11
11-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Oh Barbara, your words moved me to tears! You more than most, appreciate just how very precious each and every day is! We're ALL so glad you're here to celebrate this momentous day with us!!! {{{HUGS}}} Sandra

RICHARD
11-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Congratulations,

That is a great story..

Sometimes we need to look backwards to see how bright the future is!!

Modern medicine is amazing. The steps we have taken in the last 20 years are staggering-But the best is yet to come!

Thanks for sharing this anniversary with us......

Play a little today-you deserve it!

Tonya
11-08-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Barbara
Before this we always had thought there would be lots of time to do all the things we wanted and after that we decided to marry (after 15 years of living together) and getting Filou and Tigris (of course we waited until we were married ;))

LMAO!
---------

This just goes to show that sometimes bad things in life are really meant to bring out good. That may have been a horrible experience for you at the time, but I am sure it wound up giving you such a greater appreciation in life. Happy Anniversary.

lovemyshiba
11-08-2004, 02:03 PM
Thank you for sharing your story Barbara.

Congratulations on such a wonderful anniversary!!!

Kona & Oreo's mom
11-08-2004, 02:23 PM
Barbara,

Congratulations on this 10-year anniversary. I am so glad that you shared this moment with us so we, too, can remember the importance of enjoying every day. I hope you have a wonderful day!

Andrea

Randi
11-08-2004, 03:05 PM
Barbara, this is such a great Anniversary! Alive and kicking! :D I'm so happy for you, and to have met you in person. I'm hoping for another occasion soon! ;)

Isn't it wonderful how science have progressed and are able to heal almost anything! :)

Of course, getting Filou and Tigris, you HAD to get married - and what a wonderful guy to marry! :) ..... does that mean John and I are living in sin. :confused:

Barbara, take care of yourself and don't work too hard, it's time for some spoiling!! ;)

{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}

Killearn Kitties
11-08-2004, 03:40 PM
10 years today? Wow, that is a big anniversary. It's amazing, but as I was driving home tonight, I thought about you and your operation. I had seen a post where you mentioned it in passing. I mean it's not like having your tonsils out is it? If someone mentions they had had an operation on their brain, you tend to sit up and take notice! Anyway, I must have picked up your thought waves!

A celebration is called for tonight!

Edwina's Secretary
11-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Sentimental and funny at the same time! What a fabulous combination.

The surgeon obviously knew what he was doing. He left the best part in... ;-)

I am proud to call you "friend" and will raise a glass of red wine tonight to many, many more years!

Mazel tov - to life!

lizbud
11-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Barbara,

"(I had some hope to have a better character after but it didn't work out ).

:D

I'm so glad you shared this special day with us. Congratulations.

Karen
11-08-2004, 06:27 PM
Congratulations on the ten-year anniversary! My ten-year anniversary for brain surgery will be next September. I can only keep track of how many years it has been by my neice's age - Em was just a year old when I had it done, and she (with her parents and brother) came to visit me when I was Rapunzeling - I mean recovering - at home. I had an acoustic neuroma (benign tumor on the hearing nerve) removed. Because that nerve also controls balance, I wasn't allowed to go on stairs unsupervised for a time. As we lived in a third-floow apartment, I felt like Rapunzel, with the hair long enough - they shaved half my head.

It sounds like your surgery was more worrisome than mine. Okay, OTHERS were worried when I had my surgery, but I wasn't very worried.

Congratulations again on 10 years of joy and fun and laughter and Filou and Tigris and we are glad to know you!

Corinna
11-08-2004, 06:54 PM
Congratulations Barbara!! My hubby celebrateds his cancer surgry 10 years ago in abyt 10 days. Modern medicine wonderful!!

trayi52
11-08-2004, 07:04 PM
Congratulations Barbara on such a wonderful anniversary! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Willie:)

GraciesMommy
11-08-2004, 08:23 PM
Thanks to the Good Lord for guiding the doctors, modern medicine and you being able to have a happy healthy life!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/pamelagraves/pamela2strip.gif

AmberLee
11-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Congratulations, dear, and thanks for letting us celebrate with you.

Logan
11-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Dear Barbara,

I haven't written to you in quite a long time, and tonight, as my Meowmie and I were sitting here on the computer, she finally saw this message (I'm still wondering what took her so long to find it).

I am SO happy that you are ok and that the "loving" part of your brain was never affected by that bad tumor. :) After all, you love me, so that is saying a lot!!! And I love you back.

Mom and I wanted to celebrate with you too!!! :D

Love,
Butter

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-09-2004, 10:29 AM
Oh my Barbara, I had no idea! However, I have to agree with Sara - they left the best part in. :) I'm so glad they were able to get it all and you are still here today - alive and well. This, once more, is proof of my saying that everything turns out for the best even though we can't see it at the time. I'm sure you would have doubted this as you were going through all the tests, surgery and recovery, but now - 10 years after - you can see the good that has come out of it.

Congratulations on your anniversary and big {{{hugs}}} to you, along with that raised glass of red wine with Sara! :)

Cataholic
11-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Barbara,
How miracously wonderful! You have lots of reasons to celebrate, Barbara, as do the lucky ones of us that have met you.

The herd, Jonah and I will lift a glass of milk to you tonight!

Love,
Johanna

sirrahbed
11-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Oh Barbara - that is just a very sweet, sentimental and even humorous message that you wrote! Thank you for sharing it. I enjoyed reading it and thinking about it:)

Barbara
11-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Thank you for all your hugs and wishes:) It is exactly what you need in a moment like that.

@Karen: mine was a meningeoma that pushed on my optical nerve , so I had only left 30% of sight in the left eye. And they shaved my head too and I walked 4 months with a silk bandanna on my head (I had them in any colour to match my business suits ;)) Then I had an asymmetric cut which was ok at that time.

@Logan: yes Butter, I love you:) You are my best cat friend (of course I do not count my cat kids). And all the love, especially for nawteekitties is still there.

Vio&Juni
11-09-2004, 01:32 PM
We should never take it for granted. We should enjoy and celebrate EVERY day we get - life is a precious gift.
I am so happy for the modern medicine and for the good doctors - they did left the best part in :)

Miss Meow
11-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Barbara, {{{hugs}}}

What a scary time for you, but what a special anniversary to remember the preciousness of life :)

kimlovescats
11-09-2004, 03:41 PM
Oh Barbara .. of course we want to celebrate LIFE with you! What an incredible story you have to share, one of hope, perseverance, and blessings!!!! We are certainly blessed here on Pet Talk to have made your acquaintance ... and the world is a better place having you here as well!

(((BIG HEALTHY HUGS))))
Kim

QueenScoopalot
11-09-2004, 03:48 PM
That's a wonderful reason to celebrate! Congratulations on ten healthy years behind you (since the tumor) and to many, many more happy and healthy years ahead! :D :) Pssstt...isn't living in sin for so long kind of fun? It really makes you know if it's the right person for you...I know...I did it too! Shhh!!

DJFyrewolf36
11-09-2004, 05:05 PM
*hugs* to you. What a great aniversery to celebrate!

A toast to life and living it to the fullest!!

May you be happy and healthy for many many many more years!

*PS Remus sends a headbumpie and a toothrub*