PDA

View Full Version : Meet my future racer... Ice Princess

GreyhoundDaddy
11-08-2004, 06:43 AM
Here's my little baby...She lives in Jacksonville, FL and she and her littermates were born on Sept. 6, 2004 during Hurricane Frances.

She'll be given her racing name when she's a year old and we've been going back and forth with that since her demeanor changes almost weekly.

As you can see in these pics, she and her littermates are well taken care of... Clean pens, plenty of playtime, fat bellies, and most of all... lot's of love. These guys will no doubt be fantastic runners.

The thing that's really cool here, is that every single one of the pups from this litter have been "pre-adopted", a new thing that we think is going to really take flight. How it works is that someone... like me... who can't really take on a second hound, but, who can at a future date, can assure a hound a life after their racing career.

http://www.hometown.aol.com/greyhounddaddy/images/bigicee.jpg

http://www.hometown.aol.com/greyhounddaddy/images/iceefeeding.jpg

http://www.hometown.aol.com/greyhounddaddy/images/post-4557-1099409682_thumb.jpg

http://www.hometown.aol.com/greyhounddaddy/images/iceeleaves.jpg

http://www.hometown.aol.com/greyhounddaddy/images/iceecruise.jpg

4 Dog Mother
11-08-2004, 07:58 AM
Cute puppy! Looks like they are being well taken care of.

senorita02
11-08-2004, 07:59 AM
Oh she is adorable!!!

Jods
11-08-2004, 08:07 AM
So at what age do you get her at then?? She is very beautiful and I"m sure she'll be very fast :D

LorraineO
11-08-2004, 08:17 AM
Very sweet doggie,, but must you race her???

GreyhoundDaddy
11-08-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Jods
So at what age do you get her at then?? She is very beautiful and I"m sure she'll be very fast :D

The majority of hounds are graded off from racing between 2-3 years old. Exceptional racers from 4-5.

Sequoia, was one of those "exceptional" hounds...she, however was retired early due to what I suspect as a wrist injury. I got Sequoia when she was 3 years 4 months old.. Her birffday's coming up on Dec 12...She prefers Aroundthehounds Collars (http://www.aroundthehounds.com) for those of you thinking of getting her prezzies!

To answer your question, I dont know :) Icee could suck on the track.. and I'll have her in 18 months...or she may be the next Orange Park Derby Champ *fingers crossed* and I'll get her in 3,4, or 5 years :)

GreyhoundDaddy
11-08-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by LorraineO

Absolutely!

Why wouldn't she be raced? It's what she was bred to do...Look on her page... there's pics of her running all over the place already! Icee's Homepage (http://hometown.aol.com/greyhounddaddy/page10.html)

Would you deny any other animal to do what they were bred to do?

LorraineO
11-08-2004, 08:42 AM
Methinks I shall bow out of this.. :) I hope she does well for you tho.

GreyhoundDaddy
11-08-2004, 08:51 AM
Methinks I shall bow out of this.. :) I hope she does well for you tho.

Don't walk about with blinders on, Lorraine :) I don't have a vested monatary interest in her. I'm merely her pre-adoptive greyhounddaddy! I get nothing of her future winnings...I pay for none of her boarding, kenneling, training... none of that. I will say, however, that she's being handled, raised by some of the best people in the business and will be racing at one of the country's Top 10...maybe even Top 5 tracks.

Soon as her career is over, she get's to come out to San Diego...and that ain't a bad thing ;)

7up
11-08-2004, 09:00 AM
And there's at least 26,999 more of them born every year to choose from. Isn't that wonderful?

Jay

cloverfdx
11-08-2004, 09:16 AM
W:eek:W she is beautiful, there is nothing more gracefull than seeing a hound doing what he/ she does best "Running".

They are sighthounds, they were bred to "Run".

:D Just gorgeous.

true
11-08-2004, 09:23 AM
my greyhound loves running of her own volition, whenever she wants, and not when she doesnt, at the dog park!

but that is a cute puppy.

i didnt realize that seq retired so young. true raced til she was 5.

GreyhoundDaddy
11-08-2004, 09:58 AM
Jay, dont even start :) Oh ye afraid to identify HERSELF... as I've said before. until you feel comfortable spreading your vitriol in an other than anonymous way, please refrain from commenting on any of my threads.

Caroline, I understand and appreciate your position and your convictions...and, Icee does run when she wants...and she will continue to do so. If she doesn't run in her training and schooling.. she's going to coming ot west...Simple as that... :)

guster girl
11-08-2004, 10:03 AM
I think she's gorgeous. Are you going to be able to see her run in any races?

LorraineO
11-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by GreyhoundDaddy
Don't walk about with blinders on, Lorraine :) I don't have a vested monatary interest in her. I'm merely her pre-adoptive greyhounddaddy! I get nothing of her future winnings...I pay for none of her boarding, kenneling, training... none of that. I will say, however, that she's being handled, raised by some of the best people in the business and will be racing at one of the country's Top 10...maybe even Top 5 tracks.

Soon as her career is over, she get's to come out to San Diego...and that ain't a bad thing ;)

no blinders,, I just have other views,, but like I said,, I hope she does well for you.. she is a gorgeous dog!!!!!:)

Tonya
11-08-2004, 10:13 AM
She is a beautiful puppy! I don't think I'd ever seen a Greyhound puppy before. I hope to see more pictures! :D

GreyhoundDaddy
11-08-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by guster girl
I think she's gorgeous. Are you going to be able to see her run in any races?

sure wiil! that's also what's so cool about pre-adopting. I get updated pics from her owner all the time.. cute little stories and when she does start her career, I'll be able to watch from the very first time she sets foot on the track...

Jacksonville/Orange Park (http://www.jaxkennel.com)

That's where she's going to be someday :)

GreyhoundDaddy
11-08-2004, 10:45 AM
no blinders,, I just have other views,, but like I said,, I hope she does well for you.. she is a gorgeous dog!!!!!:)

I can respect that :)

And I hope that when I post a link to one of her races one day, you'll all join me in rooting her on :D

cloverfdx
11-08-2004, 10:48 AM
And I hope that when I post a link to one of her races one day, you'll all join me in rooting her on
Of course :D.

PJ's Mom
11-08-2004, 10:49 AM
I don't agree with the racing, but she is adorable! :D

dappledoxie
11-08-2004, 11:55 AM
She is very cute :) I love greyhounds and hey if she's already in this world, at least she'll have someone to love her forever already as well. :) Good luck little girl! I'll root you on :)

CountryWolf07
11-08-2004, 12:33 PM
It's the same concept..

with Siberian Huskies.. they were bred to PULL sleds.. run... across the tundra, etc.. same with Alaskan Malamutes.. especially with pulling..

what about Beagles? They were bred to hunt, track down game.. same with Labrador Retrievers..

What I'm trying to say.. every dog has their "thing". :)

By the way, the pup is a total cutie! :D

MomoftheFuzzy
11-08-2004, 01:07 PM
The majority of hounds are graded off from racing between 2-3 years old. Exceptional racers from 4-5.

Sequoia, was one of those "exceptional" hounds...

Gino retired at 4!!! He was an exceptional one too but you already knew that, right, Uncle Chris? :)

greysandmoregreys
11-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Icee is just the cuties little girl out there :)

Love the pictures and can't wait to see some more as she grows. I think she's going to look like my two white girls.

Coach finally gets his white baby :)

BCBlondie
11-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Wow she's gorgeous!! I wish her luck in her racing career. I'm glad all the pups have homes and that they're well-taken care of. :)

Just wondering... I completely understand they were bred for running... Have you ever considered lure coursing instead of greyhound racing? http://www.asfa.org/ :)

PJ's Mom
11-08-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by CountryWolf07
What I'm trying to say.. every dog has their "thing". :)

True, but people don't have to profit from dogs being run ragged on a track. :confused:

7up
11-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Jay, dont even start :) Oh ye afraid to identify HERSELF... as I've said before. until you feel comfortable spreading your vitriol in an other than anonymous way, please refrain from commenting on any of my threads.

Caroline, I understand and appreciate your position and your convictions...and, Icee does run when she wants...and she will continue to do so. If she doesn't run in her training and schooling.. she's going to coming ot west...Simple as that... :)

Dearest Greyhounddaddy, Not to bust your bubble, but anyone who has been around for a while already knows I am a female, so you are not revealing any secrets, as silly as they may be.

How is Icee going to run during the 18+ hours she is locked in her her crate every day? Even my retired hounds want to run and play more than that.

Jay

GreyhoundDaddy
11-08-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by BCBlondie
Wow she's gorgeous!! I wish her luck in her racing career. I'm glad all the pups have homes and that they're well-taken care of. :)

Just wondering... I completely understand they were bred for running... Have you ever considered lure coursing instead of greyhound racing? http://www.asfa.org/ :)

I straightline raced Sequoia, and she broke a toe... fugettaboutit

wmlcml6
11-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by 7up
Dearest Greyhounddaddy, Not to bust your bubble, but anyone who has been around for a while already knows I am a female, so you are not revealing any secrets, as silly as they may be.

How is Icee going to run during the 18+ hours she is locked in her her crate every day? Even my retired hounds want to run and play more than that.

Jay

18+ hours does sound like a lot of hours at first glance. I figure I sleep about 8 hours a night, and most people work 8-10 hours a day. So figuring 18 hours of "down time" for the average household, that leaves 6 hours to play. Our racers are outside for about 2 hours every morning, and at least three more times each day for about one hour each turn out. That's five hours. They also get walked almost a mile twice a week, sprinted twice a week (where they run in groups of 2-6 other dogs with muzzles but they run free at their own pace), and race 1-2 times per week. Doesn't sound too bad to me. Right now Icee and her siblings are playing 24 hours a day if they want to.

GreyhoundDaddy
11-08-2004, 03:19 PM
What are you? Carnac?

You know absolutely NOTHING of how she's being raised, who's raising her, where's she's at or anything else about her and yet, there you go... spouting off.

Rumor, assumption, conjecture...that's your bag, baby ;) And again.. for what's gotta be at least the 3rd or 4th time.. please refrain from posting to anything I initiate.. your nasty attitude, venom, and uninformed opinions aren't welcome. Thanks ;)

7up
11-08-2004, 03:43 PM
It is being in a cage for those hours that bothers me, as I am sure it bothers many of the dogs as well.

Sorry GD, stomp and throw as big a fit as you want. I am only telling the truth as I see it.

Jay

K9soul
11-08-2004, 03:47 PM
She's a beautiful girl, I remember going to her web page when you linked it on GT.

But I also wanted to say I think the debating should be kept to the debate thread, it's going to really wear everyone's nerves thin if it crops up in every thread with grey pics or stories, and I personally really love seeing the pics and stories without the venom! :)

GreyhoundDaddy
11-08-2004, 03:49 PM
You know.. it's people like you that make me thankful that I'm the kind of person I am :)

I posted this thread to show off my babydoll.. and all you can do is spit venom.. You must lead a very fulfilling life :)

And now I've learned that not only are you a bitter spiteful person, you're also disrespectful of people's requests. Again, I ask that you refrain from spewing hateful, deceitful, and misinformed opinions... Unless of course, you'd care to back up your banter with some facts about yourself.. Until which time, you're nothing more than a punk kid with a spraypaint can tagging walls to try and get your message across.

Ever notice how perfectly neat threads get turned into things like this when you post to them? Mind your business, please.

GreyhoundDaddy
11-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
She's a beautiful girl, I remember going to her web page when you linked it on GT.

But I also wanted to say I think the debating should be kept to the debate thread, it's going to really wear everyone's nerves thin if it crops up in every thread with grey pics or stories, and I personally really love seeing the pics and stories without the venom! :)

Thank You!!!
It'd appear I'm not the only one noticing this.

CountryWolf07
11-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Greyhound Daddy.. don't mind the venom comments, etc.. I know you're a good person! :)

true
11-08-2004, 04:19 PM
he is a good person, and he loves his greyhound sequoia like crazy.

i think whats happened overall is that someone posted a cute thread about their new pet greyhound, then some pro racing people came in and gave their line. then anti racing people came and and responded with their own line.

now its spilled over onto all threads about greyhounds.

racing is a very controversial sport. i think a thread that has something like "look at my cute greyhound roaching on my sofa" is one thing and is pretyt neutral. i can see why this thread got a bit controversial because it IS about a racing dog. therefore the issues of racing is present.

maybe a suggestion for pet talk is to only have racing threads in the dog house area, and only have purely pet related threads in this and other areas.

GreyhoundDaddy
11-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by true
he is a good person, and he loves his greyhound sequoia like crazy.

i think whats happened overall is that someone posted a cute thread about their new pet greyhound, then some pro racing people came in and gave their line. then anti racing people came and and responded with their own line.

On Count 1... I stand guilty as charged :) I lovers my babydoll...Both of 'em.

On Count 2...The WHOLE mess got started over someone who doesn't even owna hound yet decided to spout off and make greyhound owners look like stark raving lunatics. IMO...

I am crazy about my girl, Sequoia... that's a given. I'm proud of her past as a racer and proud of her present as a 45mph couch tater (even though she pooped in my room last ngiht when I forgot to let her poop on our late night walk) Oh well.. it cleaned up just fine!

I regards to Icee and her day to day life... I implore you guys to take a look at the page I've created for her. ]Icee's Page (http://www.hometown.aol.com/greyhounddaddy/page10.html) She and her littermates are happy hounds who are living a good life. How many litters of puppies do you guys know of who get to spend at least their entire first year together? Greyhounds do. Most other breeds are snatched away from their mothers at 8 weeks old and sold to someone who hasn't had a background check, a home visit, and interview.

They are getting far more love and attention than what many people would have others know. I'm not here to espouse the virtues or vices of the racing industry. I dont know enough about it... but,what I am learning is there are a broad range of people with definite (I hate to use this word) agendas.

Caroline, I've already told you that I respect your views and your passion and compassion. I know you dont think that all racers are treated poorly and it's the ones that ARE who you're most concerned with... but, you know what.. those hounds are the same one's that EVERYONE is concerned with, too! I've seen you ask countless times for people to take the time to go to a track, a kennel, an adoption agency... well, I've done all of that.. and by all accounts I've been to what's considered one of the "last stops" as far as race tracks are concerned. and while there were things there that didn't quite sit well with me, the look on the hound's faces and in their eyes when they were coming back from their run was just priceless...

ok.. tired fingers...

So how bout anudder pic of Icee :)

"...Man, brudder sure can hold his breff for a looooooong time.. hope he leebs some fer meee..."
http://www.hometown.aol.com/greyhounddaddy/images/post-4557-1099409682_thumb.jpg

lizbud
11-08-2004, 04:49 PM

racing is a very controversial sport. i think a thread that has something like "look at my cute greyhound roaching on my sofa" is one thing and is pretyt neutral. i can see why this thread got a bit controversial because it IS about a racing dog. therefore the issues of racing is present.

maybe a suggestion for pet talk is to only have racing threads in the dog house area, and only have purely pet related threads in this and other areas.

Funny, you don't sound like a raving fanatic. :D

What you say makes sense to me. I have no problem with Dog
Sports to test dog skills, but I have many problems with the dog
racing industry that is so very willing to overbreed these dogs &
casually drop them when they can no longer win races (make
money). Dog racing is for the entertainment & enrichment of
humans, not the dogs.

GreyhoundDaddy
11-08-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
Funny, you don't sound like a raving fanatic. :D

I have many problems with the dog
racing industry that is so very willing to overbreed these dogs &
casually drop them when they can no longer win races (make
money).

Count 1... Thanks :)

Count 2... That's what makes pre-adoption a winning proposition for everyone involved. The breeder/trainer who owns Icee's litter has a list of people 2 and 3 deep who would love to be the adoptive parents to these pups when they are done racing. And not just Icee's litter. Her owner has a littler 3 weeks older than Icee's who have the same lists going :)

As far as overbreeding, from what I've learned, it's not greyhounds that have the overbreeding problem.. it's labs, goldens, pitties, etc., etc., etc ...What happens to all of the pups we see every weekend in the sunday paper that dont get bought?

lizbud
11-08-2004, 05:22 PM
The quote was not directed at you. Didn't you notice the source
of it ? "Originally posted by true"

That's the one I wrote in response to. Scratch Count 1.

Count 2 sounds like a good program and long overdue.

jcsperson
11-08-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
True, but people don't have to profit from dogs being run ragged on a track. :confused:

I don't think 30 seconds of work every four or five days would qualify as being "run ragged."

Where do you live PJ's Mom? Maybe we can get you out to a track and see for yourself.

jcsperson
11-08-2004, 06:51 PM
You have mischaracterized the nature of that thread. I recall it differently. Several people, including long-time PTers, can attest to how it actually went. Here's my version and see who believes my version or yours:

A young lady posted a thread with a photo of her cousin's greyhound. She described it as "20-30 pounds underweight," "shy," and with "scars." While the tone of her post seemed to be happy that her cousins had adopted a greyhound, her manner suggested that it had been abused. She even put one of these after her description of him. :(

I suggested that a greyhound 20-30 pounds underweight would be emaciated. The greyhound in the photo looked absolutely normal.

You know as well as I do that greyhounds have very thin skin and scars are common on pets as well as racers. Shyness is typical of newly adopted dogs.

I made a number of offers:

1) To find out the dog's racing name. With that I could find out the kennel or racing owner and where the dog raced and his racing weight so his new owners could establish a baseline for determining his proper pet weight which should be no more than 5 pounds or so over his racing weight.

2) If the dog had been mistreated, as the poster seemed to imply, I might be able to find out who might have done it. I know or can quickly find out the reputations of nearly every kennel operator out there. It just takes a few phone calls.

3) I could find out the breeder. My experience with greyhounds is that 90% of a greyhounds scars occur in puppyhood when its littermates play too rough with those sharp puppy teeth. There is nothing quite like going into a turnout pen at a farm with 13 snapping, nipping, jumping nearly grown puppies. One hook by one of those teeth in a play nip is a scar.

While making these offers of my time and effort I had to endure sniping and crabbing by a number of people who made disparaging comments while I was trying to help.

Then along you come, with an immediate personal attack on me, and got the thread deleted with just two posts. Nice job. You showed your "true" colors.

greysandmoregreys
11-09-2004, 12:18 AM
[i]Originally posted by lizbud
Dog racing is for the entertainment & enrichment of
humans, not the dogs. [/B]

It actually is for the enrichment of the dogs also. Why do you think that greyhounds are one of the only breeds that don't have hip dysplasia?

Also for a large breed dog not uncommon for them to live to 15 or 16.

How many large breed dogs do you know that it's common for them to live to that age?

I don't want to get to far off topic.

Icee is a beautiful little girl. She's is and will be getting the best care before, during and after her racing career is over.

She will be a champ in Coaches eyes no matter if she's a grade A or a grade off and that is what really matters :)

GreyhoundDaddy
11-09-2004, 03:26 AM
That's right :)

And if I were in J'ville... I'd do as Martin likes to do and whisper into Icee's ear, and every one of her littermates, "You're going to be the next Orange Park Derby Champion!"

LorraineO
11-09-2004, 05:44 AM
Isnt rather frustrating for a dog to chase after a plastic whatever the heck it is with NEVER getting a chance at catching it?

Isnt frustrating to be a running dog as you always remind us by only running when the trainers and owners deem it time? I am going by the info provided by some gray owners on here? no?? Am I mistaken? correct me if i am wrong please.

I figure that dogs should be allowed to run whenever they want! and trust me,, my dogs will sprint about with no warning given to anyone!

I love the sport of Agility, and flyball,,, the dogs have fun and are praised up and down, spend quality time with thier owners and not some trainer.

there was a user here that claimed I said the sport was CRUELTY to animals... I NEVER said that.. she also said I was anti dog and then used a profane word. I defy anybody on here to find on this thread or anywheres else where I said any such thing! I love dogs in sports,, I just cant abide racing dogs!! just my humble opinion is all and I would hope that in PT that we can all voice our opinions in a mature logical manner without having the fear of being verbally attacked!

I do however hope that anyone who owns a gray that they do well if they choose to race. Success is always one hopes for for ones friend.

GreyhoundDaddy
11-09-2004, 06:54 AM
Good Morning, Lorraine :)

Well said... but, let me see if I can answer some of your questions.

1. I'm not so sure they get frustrated...I've been to tracks only a couple times seeing how dogracing is illegal in CA (Thanks to the Horse racing lobby in the 30's). But, each time, I've seen dogs that are excited about what's going to happen.

From my recollection, here's how it works... after being weighed in, having their tattoo #'s verified, dressed with racing "slick"... I forget what they're really called... they are led onto the track by a leadout who parades the dog in front of the grandstand while the track announcer introduces the hound. They've all got that big greyhound grin and tails-a-waggin...and yes... from what I've seen... ALL. These guys know they're the show...the stars...the reason why people are there. They're then taken to the starting box where they wait about 5-7 minutes (for what, I dont know), but, once they're in the box, they start yelping, yippin, barking, roo'ing with excitement. All that noise only gets louder when they hounds hear the lure coming around the corner.

Once they finish the race, the lure operator either covers up or retrieves the lure so the hounds can't rip it apart. The leadouts then chase the hounds down, leash them up, then parade them one last time in front of the grandstand with the win, place, show dogs leading the way back to the kennel.

The couple times I went to the races, I was literally less than 10 feet away from the hounds as they walked back to their kennels...each and everyone of them had a glint in their eye and HUGE grins as their lungs and heart were pounding.

About letting them get out and run on their own when they want to... Well, let me tell you a little bit about greys...They are the LAZIEST dogs in the world. My dad has 2 pugs that he swears will take over the world if they ever stayed awake long enough...but, my Sequoia will sleep them under the table. Greys dont require a ton of excercise...I take Sequoia to the park 3-4 times a week and she runs... I mean REALLY runs...but, it's only in spurts. If she rips of 4-5 good 20-30 second runs, it's beena good day at the park. She's otherwise laying in the shade. And we're rarely at the park longer than an hour. While at the track, hounds are turned out 3-4 times a day for an hour at a time... this is in addition to their daily training. I mean, come on, does anyone REALLY think that an athlete is going to be worth a darn if he/she isn't training? Newp...aint gunna happen. I'll betcha $5 that Sequoia spent more time outside when she was racing than she has since I've had her. Lazybutt!

Lorraine, I'm not trying to come off as "pro-racing" or anything, but, I'm certainly not "anti-racing". I'm justa guy... one guy... I have my opinions about things, and I can see both the good and bad about things..But, I REALLY think that by and large people are trying to improve the state of racing.. I know Icee's owners are, and that's why I don't mind, and am looking forward to her impending career :)

LorraineO
11-09-2004, 07:01 AM
thank you for your reply,, I appreciate it alot :) Its nice to be able to *talk* about this and see other points of views and opinions.... and not be attacked!

Best of luck with her career!

true
11-09-2004, 07:23 AM
id like to post my impressions of some tracks that i have been to. i dont want to make it seem like a debate tho, because my experiences are very different than coaches.

i could tell what i have seen factually if people are interested in hearing about it.

Cincy'sMom
11-09-2004, 09:24 AM
I don't think anyway will argue, that she isn't an adorable puppy!! Very cute!!

lute
11-09-2004, 11:10 AM
Icee is sooo cute!:D

i personally enjoy dog races and i figger that if the dogs are responding to the training and doin what they are trained to do they enjoy it....did i mention that ICEE IS ADORABLE!!!:D

DJFyrewolf36
11-09-2004, 11:45 AM
I think its great that you've given your pup a life even after her racing career. I wish more people would look into this!

LorraineO
11-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
I think its great that you've given your pup a life even after her racing career. I wish more people would look into this!

I have friends who have adopted 7 or 8 retired racers.... shes a groomer and he is a computer programmer..... thats a lot of doggies!!!!!

7up
11-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Maybe I could mention one little thing without getting attacked?
Dogs don't grin. They pant. They only look like they are grinning because their mouths are open. This is not to say that they are not happy after they run. I believe they are. I think they feel great when they are exhausted. We can tell that dogs are happy from other types of body language as well.

The only reason I bring this up is so people can be aware that there can be times when your dog is not feeling well and may be panting because of it and you should not assume that your dog is smiling and overlook the signs of illness. I know it has nothing to do with this topic but I thought it was important for people to know and couldn't see opening a new thread about it.

That's all.

Jay
(real name witheld for personal reasons. If you want to know them, PM me)

GreyhoundDaddy
11-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Once again...the anonymous poster refuses to abide by someone's wishes...

Do you REALLY feel ANYONE thinks that look is indeed a smile? If that's what you think, you need your head examined. I can see it now.. "OMG!!! He's telling theese people that these dogs can actually smile... I MUST POST!!!"

Good God, woman.. get over yourself and go do some good you claim to do instead of blasting people's threads out of the water on a daily basis.

This isn't a thread for you to spout your vitriolic hatred for the industry.. read my posts, woman, and figure out where I stand on the subject as I think I've clearly presented my feelings about it.

Greytdog00
11-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Icee is a cutie. I didn't know that there was a pre-adoption program out there. What a greyt idea.

I've had Sammi for 4 yrs, Shotzie for 3 yrs and Scrappie for 2 yrs. My Shotzie & Scrappie are littermates that spent all but 8 months of their 7 years together. And BTW... Shotzie SMILES... ear to ear. Sammi and Scrappie smile (not as big as Shotzie)... even our lab and our Italian grey smile.

Joan & The James Gang

GreyhoundDaddy
11-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36

Well, the only way to get people aware of it is to talk about it :) Which is what I've chosen to do... Icee and all of her littermates have a waiting list of people ready to pre-adopt that's at least 2 deep for each pup. With the exception of Icee, of course, cuz that hound aint goin anywhere but to a couch in my home when she's done and everyone involved over on GT KNOWS this! In fact, there's a litter of pups that's 3 weeks older than Icee's litter, and they have the same deal going.. 2-3 people deep wanting to adopt them post-racing :)

guineapiglover4life
11-09-2004, 02:36 PM
Awww...

MomoftheFuzzy
11-09-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by 7up
Dogs don't grin. They pant. They only look like they are grinning because their mouths are open. This is not to say that they are not happy after they run. I believe they are. I think they feel great when they are exhausted. We can tell that dogs are happy from other types of body language as well.

The only reason I bring this up is so people can be aware that there can be times when your dog is not feeling well and may be panting because of it and you should not assume that your dog is smiling and overlook the signs of illness. I know it has nothing to do with this topic but I thought it was important for people to know and couldn't see opening a new thread about it.

That's all.

Jay
(real name witheld for personal reasons. If you want to know them, PM me)

Well, I've kept quiet long enough. First, you berate my friend (yes, GD is a friend and I know him fairly well) and turn his thread regarding a beautiful creature he's thrilled to adopt into a hate-spewing debacle. THEN, you have the audacity to claim that dogs don't smile??? True, scientifically they may not be able to "smile" as humans do, but they damn sure do SMILE in so many other ways.

The grin is sometimes associated with panting, yes, but often times it's not. I can't tell you how many times I've photographically caught my dogs "smiling" when they were neither panting before or after the photo was taken. Often times, the smile might be caused by the musclature movement of their face, perhaps due to excessive jubilation (hence a smile) -- this is also evident in the widening of their eyes and other facial movements such as a twitching nose, which might also indicate curiosity. I've pored through book after book with dogs smiling and I seriously doubt they were all for the reasons you state (http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=17-0761129030-2.)

Granted it's best to be aware of what you stated above, but condemning an idea that dogs smile (which is perhaps just as much fluff as it is based on what people see with their own eyes) in a thread where it wasn't even called for in the first place is not too far off from the people who used to claim animals can't feel or acknowledge emotion. My dog smiles, acknowledges my emotions and the whole rest of the 9 yards regarding intelligence and perception that most don't accredit to the canine species. And just because you can't scientifically prove it doesn't mean a hill of beans to me or to any other real dog lovers.

Overall, my point is, no one came here to this thread looking for a fight or debate except you. I came to see beautiful pictures of Icee (Uncle Speck says hi, Icee!) and if you're looking for that kind of conflict, take thee elsewhere. It ain't here, sister. As much as we appreciate differing (and rational/non-abrasive) opinion in other threads, there was nothing to debate here. Your feelings about racing are rendered useless here and only serve to blind you to what is otherwise just a thread about appreciating the beauty of a dog.

MomoftheFuzzy
11-09-2004, 03:09 PM
Back to our regularly-scheduled program... greyt pics of Icee! I love the ears... got any more shots of the ears? Show them the ears, again, GD!!!! (They've got spots on 'em...) :D

wmlcml6
11-09-2004, 03:40 PM
I will try to get spotted ear pics for you tomorrow morning, MOTF. :)

GreyhoundDaddy
11-09-2004, 03:47 PM
ask and ye shall receive...

"....mmmmmmm, nummy goat's milk to fill my tummers! moob ober brudder... it's Icee Time!!!..."

Corinna
11-09-2004, 04:55 PM
I just saw this thread I'm so intrested in the pre adoption idea very resposible idea. Your dogs are very beautiful I remeber when a couple of sled racers started here until they were know better . The same stuff happened. Welcome and keep us up on the progress of the little one.

CamCamPup33
11-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Ohhh!

Icee is SOO cute. I just want to kiss his little nose! :p

Congrats on your "New addition". Hopefully their will be PLENTY more pictures to follow? ;) ;)

As for 7up, Go away if all your going to do it stir up more trouble. All GHD wants to do is show off his new baby, and your really not contribuiting to the many "Congrats!". So, PT doesn't need any trouble. :)

jcsperson
11-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by 7up

You're beautiful, Jay. :D

You come in here and crap all over GD's cute puppy thread and then worry about being "attacked." :rolleyes:

GreyhoundDaddy
11-09-2004, 06:34 PM
That's her M.O., Martin.. always worried how she'll appear. Why do you think she hides in anonymity and why people like you and I readily mention who we are...it's simple really, if you've got nothing to hide... you don't ;)

sammy101
11-09-2004, 07:30 PM
omg what a gorgeous pup!:D i hope she does well for you!Post many more pics of her;)

Amber
11-09-2004, 08:08 PM
She's adorable!

I know she'll have the time of her life, running. I believe if its what the dog was originally bred to do, and the dog enjoys it, go for it! :D I'll be rootin' her on.

Congrats!

Auntie Anne
11-10-2004, 04:41 AM
There's my sweet girl!!!!! And her sweet Daddy!!!

If anyone ever has any doubt about how well these puppies, in particular, are treated and how much they are loved, then they have simply to come and see them and meet their current mommy. She has to be one of the warmest, lovingest, sweetest women on the planet. And she goes out of her way daily to make sure that these babies are healthy, happy and and have wonderful lives. There is not a better mommy or friend that they or I could have.

Bred to run or not, they do LOVE to run! Not for long periods.... gosh that sure takes it out of you.... and then you have to rest for a long time. And they do love to play, and play they do... until they wear their little selves right out. It's hard work I'm telling you!

And as for GreyHoundDaddy. I'm not sure I've ever met a man who has loved and doted on (and spoiled) his baby more and who has been more proud of his baby girl regardless of what type of dog she is. So, it seems to me that this thread is about nothing more than a proud daddy showing off his new baby! And what a beautiful baby she is! And I am very proud that she will be going home with him one day.

And one other thing I have to say. Dogs DO smile... They can grin like crazy and a grinny dog is my favorite kind of dog..... have you never seen a grinning dog..... My dog grins from ear to ear when she greets people that she really loves or when she gets really excited or happy over something. And at 14 she rarely does anything that causes her to pant, so I can't really attribute it to that.

Sorry this is so long, but let's try to keep the focus here.... It does make me happy that there are so many people who are willing to make peace rather than argument. And basically to agree to disagree as it were.

What a beauty your new baby is.

Love and good wishes to all

puppy midwife extraordinaire

anne

pitc9
11-10-2004, 08:43 AM
Why are the puppies drinking goats milk??
Have they been taken away from their mother??

Auntie Anne
11-10-2004, 08:46 AM
They are old enough at this age that they have been weaned by their mother, although they still spend some time with her.

The goats milk is just something that they like that helps keep them healthy. It was used as a supplement to mother's milk as well when it was needed.

jcsperson
11-10-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by pitc9
Why are the puppies drinking goats milk??
Have they been taken away from their mother??

Puppies are given goats milk to supplement their kibble. They love it. They will eventually be introduced to meat and weaned from the goat's milk.

Most farmers take the pups from their dam at around three months. Farmers understand that there is a great deal of greyhound lore to be taught the pups by their mothers. It's cute to see her in the sprint field every day being chased by a bunch of her pups desperate to keep up. Most dams know to set a pace just ahead of the pups.

An Irish breeder I know thinks this is so important he tries to leave them in until a month or so before the dam's next season which could be up to nine months. This can be done with litters that get along famously, but three months is about the age that the pups' playful scrapping can become injurious, so farmers figure out who is picking on whom and put them in separate pens. This is also about the time that some dams lose patience with their pups and can be overzealous in their discipline.

If the litter is a large one, or there are rivalry issues, the pups will be broken up into factions and placed in neighboring pens. Sometimes a pup who is a pariah in his litter and is picked on by the rest is put in with a friendly litter of similar or slightly younger age.

Watching the pack dynamics in these litters is endlessly facinating, especially when one knows the personalities of the sire and dam well. It doesn't take long for the pups' personalities to emerge. It sounds like Cathie had this litter's temperaments figured out after just a few weeks.

GreyhoundDaddy
11-10-2004, 05:29 PM
yeah... what Martin said!

true
11-10-2004, 07:17 PM
i wanted to respond to some of the thigns in this thread, but didnt want to start a debate here, so i started a new one in another area. please visit it ehre : http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63685 so that we can leave this thread to be about the cuteness of puppies.

jcsperson
11-10-2004, 09:52 PM
i wanted to respond to some of the thigns in this thread, but didnt want to start a debate here, so i started a new one in another area. please visit it ehre : http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63685 so that we can leave this thread to be about the cuteness of puppies.

I posted my thoughts there, too. Considering that I was once more AR than True ever was, you might find them interesting.

Martin

Dogz
11-10-2004, 10:43 PM
Awww, what cuties! They are just precious, GreyhoundDaddy. :)

When do you start to train them for racing? I would love to see some pictures of them running, too. They must love that.

GreyhoundDaddy
11-11-2004, 04:26 AM
Well, I wont be doing the training actually. I live in San Diego, Icee, her littermates and her owner live in Jacksonville. I'm not 100% sure on the methods and schedule of her training, but if you look here Greyhound race training (http://www.raceforadoption.com/index.cfm?content=45&Menu=3) you'll get a detailed account of what it is to grow up a racing greyhound :)