PDA

View Full Version : Warm + Red = Infection??

NoahsMommy
11-07-2004, 06:20 PM
OK, I've been back from the hospital for two days now and my arm pain (typical for me after a hospital stay) is back. This time, not only can I not open my arm or bend it all the way at the elbow, the site of my IV is red and warm to the touch.

The IV was put in my right arm where your elbow bends. There is a two inch patch that is red and warm. You can also see about five inches of my vein extending from that because its red and warm too.

This happen because my veins and tissues react to the medications and iv solutions I'm given in the hosptial. But its never been red. Does that mean infection?

Is it worth going to Urgent Care for? Its Sunday at 4:15pm. I called the ER to ask and they said they couldn't give me medical advice if I hadn't been there in the last 24 hours.

Anyone know?

micki76
11-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Kelly, I would PM Debbie. I know she's a nurse.

Kfamr
11-07-2004, 06:25 PM
Or Sandra... she's a nurse too, right?

wolflady
11-07-2004, 06:26 PM
OMG Kelly, I hope you are alright! When in doubt, it's worth a shot to have it looked at. I would say that if you haven't had this sort of reaction before, that you should probably just be safe and have someone look at it.
Let us know how you're doing! :(

**hugs**
Karen

micki76
11-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Yes, I think Sandra's a nurse too.

NoahsMommy
11-07-2004, 06:51 PM
Ok, I guess I should have said fever+warm+red = infection

My mom convinced me to call my dr and he's calling in zithromax for me. :)

Can I tell you all how much I truly love that guy? He's soooooo wonderful to me. Its so nice after so long to be cared about by your own doctor.

Thanks for the advice, guys. :)

micki76
11-07-2004, 06:55 PM
:) I'm glad you called your Dr. Hope your arm feels better soon!

Karen
11-07-2004, 06:57 PM
Glad your doc is responsive. Yup, warm + red + almost always means some kind of infection. Gosh, with your medical history, wish I could lend you my veins. I have absurdly sensitive skin, but getting blood drawn is never a problem. When I go to donate blood, if there's a trainee, I'm the one they send that person to. My elbow veins are quite visible, pretty big and you could spot 'em from across the room. I never have a react there.

Mind you, if someone walks by wearing perfume, THAT I react to, or if my skin gets any kind of scratch THAT it reacts to, but giving blood's never a problem.