PDA

View Full Version : Duke learned a brand new trick just from me!

joanofark
11-07-2004, 02:56 PM
Yup! Well it all started well I was doing the ol' Sit, Lay, Roll-Over trick and awarding him with a couple pieces of Kitty food (He loves Kitty food, it is the best treat for him). All of a sudden I came up with the idea of a Treasure hunt! I had my dad keep him away from me for a couple minutes, so I could go to our wood pile that runs beside out house. I put kitty food in little holes and cracks that he could easily reach. At first I pointed at them and showed him were to find them. The second time I had him follow me up the side of them constantly saying "Go Find Them". The third time all I had to say "Go Find them" and he did it all by himself!:) :) :)

flamepony12
11-29-2004, 10:45 PM
lol, I play that with Merlin. :)

luvofallhorses
12-11-2004, 01:44 PM
:) :) so cute!!

Lexi_Lover
01-03-2005, 06:04 PM
Just to let you know...Cat food is NOT good for dogs...it does someting to their stomachs...they can't digest it properly! I wouldn't feed him that anymore!

Thats a good idea though...maybe I could try that trick with Lexi!(Treasure Hunt)

PJ's Mom
01-04-2005, 09:05 AM
As long as it's only a few pieces of cat food a day, it won't hurt Duke.

Peej gets a couple of pieces before bed every night...after he gets his eye drops. His vet said it was fine as long as we don't over do it.

Congrats on teaching Duke a new trick! You must be very proud of him. :)

Lescoop77
01-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Is it really bad for dogs to eat cat food? Why? The reason I ask is because when we go visit grandma (who has a cat) my dog always (never fails) charges to the cat food bowl and eats all the cat food. I have never had a problem...just figured she liked the fishy taste!!
:confused:

jjjeremyyy
02-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Here is a link I found with information on dogs eating catfoods, I thought it would help you out.:)

http://healthypet.com/faq_view.aspx?ID=49&sid=1

Corinna
02-10-2005, 06:38 PM
You just found the way I train my dogs for search and rescues. They" find it"and are rewarded . Next is to put it in a leather glove drag the glove on the ground (unseen by dog) and say find it. You have then gotten half way to a tracking dog .

Bullboxer
02-10-2005, 07:34 PM
great game to play with dogs. My lab was awesome at this game. I started to hide items (not treats). I'd just show her it and say "get it". Then I would tell her to "go to her house" and she would run into her cage and wait for me to hide the item. I would hide things out of her reach and she would bark at it. I did this is college when I had a ton of free time. It was also good when I needed a free moment to refill my beer at the keg. :) I think she was good at it b/c i would play fetch at night. I'd smack a tennis ball with a tennis raquet into the woods in the pitch dark. It was a great way to buy a few minutes of time. I miss my labby so much. :(

I just taught my bullboxer fetch. She is in no rush to get it, she stalks it like a Lion, however she runs back and climbs in my lap:)

2crazypuppies4me
02-11-2005, 03:47 PM
That sounds fun, I sure that you had a ball (no pun intended :rolleyes: )

joanofark
02-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Just to let everyone know, I did not give him that much cat food.:) Only like 2 Pieces for easy spots and 3 or 4 Pieces for the hard spots.:)