PDA

View Full Version : Stitches

zippy-kat
11-07-2004, 12:27 AM
I had surgery on Thursday and have a few stitches (on my belly). They're not red or infected looking but they're burning. (No, not itching. Burning.)

Does anyone know of any cream or _?_ that might make it stop or, at the very least, less annoying? :(

Thanks!
Zip

(I've tried Neosporin type stuff... didn't work!)

micki76
11-07-2004, 12:33 AM
Hmmm... Maybe Aloe Vera?

Hope you're ok, Tonya. :)

shais_mom
11-07-2004, 12:34 AM
mebbe some hydrocortisone cream?
I know they don't burn but you never know what helps

NoahsMommy
11-07-2004, 12:43 AM
I was going to suggest hydrocortisone too.

Hope everything's OK. :)

Rachel
11-07-2004, 07:23 AM
Zippy, we were thinking and praying for you on Thursday. Don't be afraid to leave a message with your doctor's answering service. I'm sure he would be more than willing to offer up some advice and then too at least he would be alerted to a condition that might not be normal.

ps. Hannah suggested licking it, but I don't know about that;)

GraciesMommy
11-07-2004, 07:38 AM
Make sure you are washing it in phisoderm or anti bacterial soap like Dial..that will help it heal faster..(once they say you can get it wet)

lizbud
11-07-2004, 10:09 AM
Stitches ? So sorry Tonya, I didn't know about that.:o

Everyone's given good advice so far. Think I'd go along with
Rachel's idea about calling the Dr's office or service for
their ideas too. Hope you're feeling better soon sweetie.:)

Some cyber-mom's are the last to know.:( Hugs from me & all
the furry gang at my house. Liz.:)

gini
11-07-2004, 11:21 AM
http://www.meritcare.com/hwdb/showTopic.asp?pd_hwid=tp21283

Tonya, here is a source for you to reference.

I would really recommend that you call the Dr. before you put anything on the incision.

This reference tells you to not put anything on the stitches and to keep the area clean.

trayi52
11-07-2004, 12:17 PM
I would also tell you to call your doctor. You don't want to put something on it that might harm the stiches. I have had lots of surgerys before, and it does burn, but please do call your doctor and see what he says.

My husband had open heart surgery, and I had to clean his stiches with some kind of solution the doctor gave me.

Just be careful with what you put on those stitches. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Willie:)

tatsxxx11
11-07-2004, 01:04 PM
Hi Zip!:) Hope you're doing ok, sweetie. Nurse Sandra concurs...don't put anything on the incision; call the doc! Keep it clean and dry and gently covered till then, ok? It's natural to feel a little burning but you don't want to take chances. If it starts getting red and hot and burning, definitely give the answering service a call! Feel better, friend! (I've been there;))

Rachel
11-08-2004, 06:39 AM
Okay, Zippy, we need an uppy-date on how you are doing?

Tonya
11-08-2004, 10:05 AM
I would talk to your doctor because I believe burning is still a sign of infection. I've never had stitches, but my son Jaden has had stitches twice and staples twice in his head. I only remember him complaining that they were itchy. They always told me to keep them dry and put nothing but Neosporin on them. Some things that you put on them could cause them to scar worse.

zippy-kat
11-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
Okay, Zippy, we need an uppy-date on how you are doing?

Considering it's Monday and I actually HAD to get out of my pajamas today.... not too bad, so far! :D

But on the other hand, I've registered for 2 theory classes (Spring semster), am contimplating going straight for my phD, AND I've completed all my homework for the week (what?! no procrastinating?) ... I must be ill. lol

I was too lazy to iron my work-dresses and I'm paying the price now -- when I sit down, the waist of my slacks hits/rubs my incision. Wanna guess what I'll be doing after class tonight?! (Need anything pressed, while I'm at it? lol)

It's not really burning anymore (and still no redness) but GRRRRRR is it itchy!

My left "side" started hurting again on Saturday night (same night I quit taking my pain pills); it's not as bad as it was but it's still there and quite annoying. :( (I can't take my pain pills while working because they make me so drowsy.)

I have a check-up on the 18th.
Since they didn't find what they thought they would, we'll start talking about exploring other organs/organ systems, specifically the GI schtuff. (I was soooo hoping this would be a "quick fix!" :( )

Thanks for thinking of me! :)
And thanks to everyone for their advice!

Logan
11-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Tonya, I had umbilical hernia surgery many years ago and I remember how badly I "hurt" for days afterwards. Pants were the WORST thing ever!!!! Happy Ironing to you! And I do hope that your problem can be solved. I hate that you are enduring so much pain.

Logan

Nomilynn
11-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
I was too lazy to iron my work-dresses and I'm paying the price now -- when I sit down, the waist of my slacks hits/rubs my incision. Wanna guess what I'll be doing after class tonight?! (Need anything pressed, while I'm at it? lol)

Hmmm does this mean it's sometimes a good idea to listen to yer ole' pal Nome??? HMMM???? ;) ;) ;)

Itching is a good sign - it means you are healing.

And - I'll do your ironing if you do my dishes. I actually don't mind ironing, and well, you know my thoughts on dishes. In fact.. I'll do your ironing AND dusting if you do my dishes!!! It's a great deal!!! :D :D

Cinder & Smoke
11-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat

... am contimplating going straight for my phD ...

:cool:

Will it be ~ "Doktur ZIPPY"

or

"Doktur KAT"

??

;)

PPS:
Cinder & Smokey agree with Hannah ~
Give da *zippurz* a Gud *LICK*! :D

zippy-kat
11-08-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
Hmmm does this mean it's sometimes a good idea to listen to yer ole' pal Nome??? HMMM???? ;) ;) ;)

[....]

I'll do your ironing AND dusting if you do my dishes!!! It's a great deal!!! :D :D

I'm ignoring the first part of that... ;)

Dusting and ironing in exchange for dishes, you got it!!!!

:D

(Psst Phred... hold off on ALL doctors at the moment! :eek: lol )

Nomilynn
11-08-2004, 08:53 PM
I'm sure you know me well enough by now that I could never let you ignore me!! :D LOL!

ramanth
11-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Hope you're feeling better Tonya.

I honestly can't remember if I had stitches or not when I had a laproscopy done. I do remember being sore though... :(

*HUGS*

Miss Meow
11-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Ouch, Zippy :(

I hope you are feeling better today. What a pain that they didn't find what they thought - better get your doctorship ASAP I reckon!!! :D