PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance with Illnesses

NoahsMommy
11-06-2004, 07:22 PM
Does anyone know anything on how to qualify for insurance if you have an illness?

I have insurance through David's company, but I'm looking for other options. My new job does not offer any type of insurance.

Nomilynn
11-06-2004, 07:43 PM
if you want to get out of David's plan, ask other insurance companies about "coversion plans" (at least that is what they are called up here). When I had to get insurance, I basically couldn't with diabetes until I found a company that would give me a conversion plan. Basically, they took the plan I HAD and made it fit into a plan they offered. And when I did it this way, I didn't have to be underwritten (ie no medical exams/questions).

NoahsMommy
11-06-2004, 08:17 PM
That sounds neat! I'll check into that, thanks Nom. :)

BitsyNaceyDog
11-06-2004, 08:50 PM
Kelly,
When my family moved down here from New York we had a really really hard time getting health insurance. I had (well have) very bad scoliosis and my sister had very bad asthma and it was near impossible to get insurance. We ended up getting a plan that didn't cover preexisting illnesses.

NoahsMommy
11-07-2004, 12:40 AM
Kari,
Thanks for the information. I'm sorry your illnesses weren't covered. Its horrible they do this stuff, I know they have to make $$. But jeeesh, nice!!

I actually found an insurance plan partially funded by the state (actually, taxes from tobacco sales) that offers insurance for people that are denied coverage due to pre-existing illness. Its expensive, but its good PPO coverage.

Its so great to know I have that available to me. :) I was really getting concerned.