PDA

View Full Version : what is "dressage"???

lute
11-06-2004, 04:44 PM
someone asked me if i wanted to do dressage...i don't even know what it is!!! could someone PLEASE let me know.:)

guster girl
11-06-2004, 04:49 PM
merriam webster definition:

: the execution by a trained horse of precision movements in response to barely perceptible signals from its rider

They show it on tv, and, it's where the horse and rider elegantly maneuver within an arena.....it's pretty and I know it's really difficult!

flamepony12
11-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Ha! dressage is kind of like making your horse "dance" with a rider. I have to do dressage on Merlin every wednesday and trust me, it's not my favorite, but It can be fun at times, especially at the extended trot (where your horse trots, but takes longer steps, and it feels like youre floating) do dressage and be prepared to work your a$$ off! :D

lute
11-06-2004, 08:06 PM
hmmm...thanks for the info guys! i dunno if i'm gonna do it. i really love just riding around western. i thought i'd try to do something in the english saddle,but i dunno if dressage is what i wanna do.

Desert Arabian
11-06-2004, 11:05 PM
For English, you want to start out at hunt seat equitation or jumper so you get a feel for English riding. Western and English are so different, it is tricky to get used to both. Start Dressage after you get a firm understanding of the English field.

Speaking from experience.

cocker_luva
11-07-2004, 09:32 PM
its a sort of horse ballet