PDA

View Full Version : eekkk...Sahara is limping

shutterbug0303
11-06-2004, 10:05 AM
Ok everyone....bring together all forces! I'm so lost for what to do for my poor girl! Sahara's (who had demodex mange when we rescued her) foot is raw and swollen between her pads and she is not really walking on it. I wouldn't call what she is doing "limping"...more like she is kicking her sore foot (rear one) out behind her every time she walks. I hate to be so paranoid as to rush her to the vet the instant she is a little sore....but she is too say....so I called the vet and THEY WON'T TAKE HER TODAY?!?!!? So I called another one, and their doctor is already gone for the day!! No one is going to take my girl! So I could pay $100 for just walking in to the emergency clinic that is about an hour away....or I can do some home doctoring. I rinsed it with warm water and there is nothing stuck in there. So what should I do for the poor girl. She is shivery and scared...but that also stems from the fact that she HATES to have her feet touched, and conveniently :rolleyes: I attempted to trim her nails yesterday so that is making things worse....she thinks I'm going to do that again! My poor sweet girly! Any suggestions? Or should I just take her to the emergency vet? Thanks everyone

Jods
11-06-2004, 10:54 AM
Hi,
I don't have any advice, but whatever you decide to do will be right cuz your her mom. I hope she feels better soon and it's nothing serious. Maybe she had a sliver or a piece of glass stuck in there and it's infected. I don't think it would have anything to do with the mange, but who knows I'm not a vet. Maybe phone the clinic and ask them what you can do until you can get to your vet.... Good luck
Jodie

guster girl
11-06-2004, 11:12 AM
It sounds like she was bitten or stung, maybe.....if you can afford it, I would take her to the emergency vet. I've done that in the past when I had the money in the bank. Proved to be nothing, but, it settled my nerves. :)

lute
11-06-2004, 12:01 PM
poor sahara! i'm sure everything will be fine. i figure that if it's not life thretening i would just make her comfy until you can get her to your vet.

Glacier
11-06-2004, 01:55 PM
Got any polysporin cream? Sounds like she has a bit of an irritation in between her pads. Letting her lick at it will make it worse. Cover the area with polysporin, Bag Balm or something similar, then put a sock over her foot and tape it on. Then give her a buffered aspirin.

Hope she's feeling better soon.

shutterbug0303
11-06-2004, 03:41 PM
Thank you, Thank you for your info! That is exactly what we'll do. I think the mange is acting up and irritating her paws...there are also spots of irritation around her "armpits". She is off to the vet on Monday for some info on what to do about the mange acting up again. :( We knew it would never fully go away, but she looks so good...how could it be bothering her?!?! My poor girl. She is quiet and pretty tired today, but not limping anymore. Just a lot of rest and love until Monday. Thanks for the tips everyone! I'm off to get her some cream shortly...

Here a pic of the before and after shots of my girl...just couldn't resist :D

Sahara as a baby with mange (http://shutterbug0303.net/Baby%20Sahara.jpg)

Sahara all better (http://shutterbug0303.net/Is%20that%20spit%20on%20my%20lip.JPG)