PDA

View Full Version : My poor Gretta girl! :o(

kimlovescats
11-05-2004, 03:20 PM
Today was annual vet check day for AnnaBelle and Gretta. I hadn't gotten a rabies shot for Gretta in several years, because she had a bad reaction that her first one. Well, today I just wanted her to have a good health check but no rabies shot. Everything was going fine, then I realized my vet gave her a shot while I was gabbing!!! I forgot to mention it before, and no one asked me specifically. Well, my poor girl immediately started peeing all over the place ... my vet said to put her in the floor, she thought a reaction was starting. :eek: Sure enough, Gretta started vomiting non-stop all over the place .... she was sooooooo pitiful. :( :( My vet called in her partner to help, and they had to give her an injection of steroids to stop the reaction. We had to wait a few minutes to be sure she didn't need the Epinephrine for Anaphlactic Shock! THANK GOD, she cleared up quickly with just the steroid shot. I feel soooooooo terrible for failing to mention her previous reaction soon enough. I had it in my mind to not get her shots at all today ... just a good health check. Boy did I screw up!:rolleyes: :(

Dr. LaValley said NO MORE SHOTS of any kind EVER for Gretta ... and that is just fine with me! My poor girl will sleep good tonight from all the trauma and Benadryl, etc.

Well, on the bright side, both my pups ... Gretta and AnnaBelle are heartworm negative and healthy girls. Ummm, Miss AnnaBelle is slightly overweight, but nothing too serious ... she just needs a little less bed time, and a bit more play time!;)

Denyce
11-05-2004, 03:21 PM
oh I am so glad that everything turned out ok!!! How very scary that must have been for you!

I am glad to hear that they are healthy other than that however.

Denyce

Jods
11-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Wow they should have had it in the file its in Pixies file in case I forget to mention it... Glad shes okay!!
:)

KYS
11-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Very scary,
Hugs to Gretta!

jenfer
11-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Poor Gretta. :(
Gigi is allergic to one of her shots too... I think it's the one for kennel cough. It was quite scary. She didn't vomit, but she was swollen. Quite frightening. :(

But I am glad Gretta is doing fine now. Give the doxie a hug for me.

tatsxxx11
11-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Oh poor Gretta, sweet baby girl!!!:( No more shots for you sweetheart:) {{{HUGS}}}

K9soul
11-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Wow, poor little Gretta. I bet the vet felt bad too. What a scare! I'm so glad she is okay now. Hugs to you little Gretta!

Cincy'sMom
11-06-2004, 12:32 PM
How scary for you and Greta both! I'm glad the reaction was easily controled and taht she is doing better now.

Becuase Cincy does have alot of health issues, I have wondered if we should continue to have her vacinated, or if we sahold give her a break. If we do, we would have titers done to be sure she had enough antibodies against teh diseases (we would have to for therapy dog, but I would do it anyway). I have not yet talked to our vet about it.

manda_moo87
11-06-2004, 01:45 PM
Aw, poor Gretta.
Hugs to your little girl from me!

Cookiebaker
11-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Oh how very scary for you and poor lil Gretta. :( I'm glad that she seems to be doing OK now, and tha tthe trauma is past. {{hugs}}