PDA

View Full Version : Finally! A great interview

catnapper
11-05-2004, 10:27 AM
I had a meeting today with a furniture dealer to see if they could have any use for me doing design work on a project by project basis. I've had several others just like it and they were all a bust. But I walked away from this one with a good feeling that I'll hear from them adn actually get projects from them! He does mostly universities, so he doesn't have anything now, but he says things start heating up project-wise after the holidays for furniture to be installed in the summer. (Just so you know, it can take a month to get a layout right and approved, then another few weeks to get the purchasing department to issue a PO.. once ordered, it usually takes anywhere form 4-8 weeks for the furniture to be made, and usually another week in transport... which puts you right at summer break.)

ALSO, the person I do most of my design work for has someone who needs general office work - like calling people who are late on invoices, mailing out invoices, etc. He'll let me work from home and we'd just e-mail or fax the info to each other. He's willing to hire me for 10 hours or so a week. Thats exactly what I need! She thinks that once I start working for him, and he sees that the money he's paying me is making a difference in his life that he'll give me more and more hours. Woohoo!

I feel much better now knowing that I might actually have some money coming in.

BUT, the one thing I feel bad about is the meeting I had today was behind my "partner's" back. We are not formal partners, and as hubby said, she's not giving me any work... so I need to find something on my own. I still feel guilty knowing that I had this appointment and might be working for someone else on an as-need basis.... I know full-well that she wants everything to go through her. She's even said that anybody else who wants to hire me for projects to go through her. Even though she is not paying me a salary and we have no contract, nothing formal. Still I feel like I just stabbed her in the back, but at the same time I need money and something coming in. I guess though that since I am "freelance" that means I am allowed to take jobs when and where they come --- Regardless of how the main person I do business for feels

catnapper
11-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Oh, I forgot to say that my luck is always that, no matter what time I have a meeting, I will be late. Well, today I was right on time. I stepped out the door feeling great.

I walked to the interview (informal at a cafe down the street) and as I walked, the wind blew leaves around my feet and the sun shined. I was on time - its a great! Until I reached up to adjust my eye glasses and the lens popped out! What to do? Run back home and repair them or walk into the cafe with broken eyeglasses and conduct an interview blind? Well, deciding to be on time and blind, I walked in. :D

A couple saw me looking perplexed and asked if they could help me. I told them my glasses broke. The husband took my glasses from me to see if he could repair them, then ran down the street and had them repaired at the local jewelry store! :D It took him nearly 15 minutes, and didn't ask for anything in return. I said, "Please you must take soemthing for being so wonderful" He said, "No. This is my good deed for the day."

Well, thank you lovely, wonderful man who graciously repaired my glasses for me!

ChrisH
11-06-2004, 07:33 AM
Looks like things are looking up for you. :) It's a pity about your partner but it seems a classic case of 'needs must' to me.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

Chris

QueenScoopalot
11-06-2004, 07:41 AM
It sounds promising! Your current partner doesn't seem very concerned about seeing that you have a salary, or a contract or anything, so I wouldn't worry any about her. ;) The people sound very nice IMO going off and getting your glasses fixed for you! Do you think current "partner" would have done the same? Me thinks not. :rolleyes: Good luck at this new possibility! :)