PDA

View Full Version : Please pray for Phoebe

dreamingoutloud
11-04-2004, 03:07 PM
Please say a prayer for my poor Phoebe wub bug...

She's been with me for almost 19 years, and now she's suffering with either a bad infection in her mouth or a tumor.

The Vet wants to do surgery to find out what's going on, but I won't put her through any more pain. She's on two different anti-biotics and pain killers, and I'm dealing with it day by day.

She's drooling a lot, and getting diareah from the anti-biotics.

I'm waiting a few days to see if the anti-biotics will work, but i'm not going to selfishly force her to go through this pain much longer.

Please pray that the anti-biotics kick in, and also that I'll know when to let go if they don't.

Phoebe's been my friend, and my family for so long....this is just killing me.

Thanks everyone

emily

catfamily
11-04-2004, 03:10 PM
Why on earth would he do surgery without xrays to see what it is?Does he KNOW what is?I've never heard of a vet doing surgery just to SEE what is.

catnapper
11-04-2004, 03:10 PM
{{{HUGS}}} I'm sorry to hear she is going through so much right now. What a truly awful situation.

I wish I could welcome you to Pet Talk on a happier note.

dreamingoutloud
11-04-2004, 03:16 PM
Thanks Catfamily and Catnapper

I asked the Vet why she couldn't just take X-rays to find out whether it's a tumor or infection, but she said a biopsy is the definitive way!

She went on to say that if it indeed is a tumor, that the only treatment is to start removing parts of poor Phoebe's jaw:(

At almost 19, I obviously won't be doing that, so I couldn't see why I should her put her through any surgery what so ever.

It's very nice to find a place where I could come and talk about what's going on. I have 2 other cats, and it seems like this will be a fun place to talk about "good times", too!

catfamily
11-04-2004, 03:41 PM
OH OK...That's what they did with my KiKi 3 weeks ago.They took a biopsy to see if it was Cancer in the Jaw.It was..So we put him down a couple weeks ago at 16 years old.They told me even a 2 year old should NOT have to go through removing part of the jaw.It is awful for the cat after.So getting a biopsy is good to see if it tuly is cancer.But I wouldn't remove the part of the jaw that has the Cancer.Good Luck,Carla
And I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

K & L
11-04-2004, 03:45 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. Hope Phoebe pulls through this without much pain. Keep everyone posted.

dreamingoutloud
11-04-2004, 03:46 PM
Thanks for sharing what you went through Carla. I'm so sorry that you had to lose your kitty!!!

I really don't want to put Phoebe through the biopsy. We have her on anti-biotics, so if it is an infection that we're dealing with it should start to clear up pretty soon. If it doesn't, then we'll just assume that we're dealing with a tumor.

Laura's Babies
11-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Most of the vets I have delt with do not want to do surgery on a old cat for fear the anistesia (sp?) alone would kill them. Phoebe is old so if you do have that done, prepare yourself should something happen. Meantime, PT prayers are going for her and YOU.

Welcome to Pet Talk and please stay around no matter what...OK?

rg_girlca
11-04-2004, 05:35 PM
Welcome to PT.

Prayers and positive thoughts coming your way for your precious Phoebe.

dreamingoutloud
11-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Thanks for everyone's very kind thoughts. You're making me feel very welcome here.

I don't have any intention of putting phoebe through surgery. The Vet examined her, and did blood work. Apparently she's fit enough to withstand the anesthesia, but I won't do that to her.

Thanks again, everyone...

rosethecopycat
11-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Welcome to PT.

You sound very wise and unselfish about how to handle your dear Phoebe.

We are here and we care.

Singing for the antibiotics to send relief to Phoebe.

Rose & the Siamese choir

kimlovescats
11-04-2004, 07:13 PM
I am so sorry to hear of Phoebe's condition. I have to agree with you that putting her through the trauma of surgery at 19 years of age would be horrible. I pray that the antibiotics and pain med can keep her comfortable for what time she has left to be loved by you!;)

catcrazylady
11-04-2004, 07:16 PM
This is a very sad way to come to PT but we are glad your here. Your pain is very understood and we certainly will be praying for Phoebe. I hope that the antibiotics kick in and it's just an infection. You sound like a wonderful cat mom who is putting Phoebe's wellfare ahead of all else. Phoebe is a very lucky girl to have such a caring and wonderful family.
Please keep us posted on how you and Phoebe are doing.

Lilith Cherry
11-05-2004, 12:13 AM
I think your approach to dealing with it is very caring; I'm sure you will do the right thing if needs be. Good luck with the antibiotics and I will send good thoughts for them to work on Phoebe!

catmandu
11-05-2004, 08:56 AM
You,will get a lot,of support,at Pet Talk,as I think,that all of us,here have gone,through,the terrible pain,of losing a Companion,and The Found Cats,and I are sending,our Prayers,for Poor Phoebe,and that she,is well soon.

jazzzytina
11-05-2004, 09:07 AM
I'm so very sorry about Phoebe. Our Pep was almost 19 when he passed away last month, so I know what you are going through. He was his Daddy's best friend, and such a good cat. Pet Talk really helped us get through that, so you've come to the right place.

I'm sending prayers and good wishes your way that Phoebe will recover and be with you for many more years.

Love and hugs,
Tina

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-05-2004, 09:52 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Phoebe. I totally understand your position of not putting her through too much. My Tubby boy is 18 1/2 and I've already decided that if something serious happens to him I won't put him through unneccessary procedures either. He and Phoebe have lived good long lives and there's no sense in making their last days any more torturous (sp?) for them than necessary.

I sure hope the antibiotics do their thing and Phoebe starts feeling better. Hugs and smoochies to her and {{{hugs}}} to you for doing the best you can for her. :)

dreamingoutloud
11-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Thanks again to everyone who's sent me their loving thoughts and prayers.

Phoebe's still holding her own today, still eating like a horse...which I take to be a very good sign. She's still drooling a lot, but i'm hoping that the anti-biotics are starting to kick in, because she does have times when she's "drool free" and seems very strong.

Thanks again to everyone here at pet talk. You all seem like very lovely people who care soooooo much for your wonderful, beautiful fur babies.

God bless all of you.

----emily and Phoebe.....