PDA

View Full Version : Dog Parks

Miranda_Rae
11-04-2004, 12:53 PM
We are getting a dog park where I live! :D I am SO excited! We just have to come up with $25,000 for the fence, and we need some things donated. I have been trying to sell these coupons to raise money for the park, and I am pretty sure I can sell the ones I have (I have 15) and then I can get more and sell. :) Most of the people that I am selling the coupons to aren't really into dogs, but they will buy them from me though (mostly because I am related to them :p :o) It is going to be 3 acres, and there are going to be 3 sections, one for big dogs, one for little dogs, and one for agility. :D Yay!! So excited! Heidi will love it so much. :) Well, just thought I would share this with you. Do any of you have dog parks in your city? How many acres are there? How many sections, and what are some of the features? :)

DogLover9501
11-04-2004, 01:07 PM
How exciting!!

I was very excited when I found out that we had a dog park!

I like the sections idea that yours is going to have, as small dogs could get trampled in ours ;)

We have 2 dog parks, one I have never seen because I only found out about it last Sunday, so we are going to try that one next time.

Im not sure the size of ours, it has a water fountain, fire hydrens(sp), benches and 2-3 stations where you can get pick up bags ;)

Miranda_Rae
11-04-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by DogLover9501
How exciting!!

I was very excited when I found out that we had a dog park!

I like the sections idea that yours is going to have, as small dogs could get trampled in ours ;)

We have 2 dog parks, one I have never seen because I only found out about it last Sunday, so we are going to try that one next time.

Im not sure the size of ours, it has a water fountain, fire hydrens(sp), benches and 2-3 stations where you can get pick up bags ;)

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, we have 2 parks where I live, but they don't allow dogs. :( I think thats because people don't pick up after their dogs. :mad: One of my pet peeves. I hope they do in this park. :)

KYS
11-04-2004, 06:33 PM
I am happy for you. :)

We have a couple of dog parks not to far.
One is about a 15 minute drive and the other approx.
30 minutes.

Nothing fancy about the closest park.
Approx. size about a football field with
grass and a fence.

guster girl
11-04-2004, 06:39 PM
That's cool that they are going to have a section for agility. The ones I have gone to (one in Plano, one in Dallas, one in Fort Worth), all have sections for dogs that are smaller or sensitive (I've seen a great dane in the "small dog" part, because he was ok with little dogs, but, not big ones). :) So, it's labelled "small dogs" but, small dogs can go in the big park, and, vice versa. It mostly depends on the dog's tolerance of others. :) One of the "BIG DOGS" at the Fort Worth park was a dachshund named Wilhemina. ;)

Jamieejo85
11-04-2004, 09:26 PM
We don't have any dog parks where I live but I sure would LOVE one....
~Jamie

Tonya
11-05-2004, 08:40 AM
That's cool!

We have two dogs parks. One is a private one that is really expensive. I hear the people are really stuck up there, so I haven't went. The other is a beautiful dog park built by a church. The church maintains it and doesn't charge a dime. I send money to the church ever so often and thank them for the park. I hope that others do the same so that they don't close it down.

mruffruff
11-05-2004, 09:58 AM
We now have two dog parks. I haven't been to one of them because it just opened.

The one I belong to is about 5 acres. It has woods on one end, a cement swimming pool, and a lot of open field. It has some trees at the other end and a metal shelter (roof only) in the middle. You have to belong to get in. It costs $36 a year no matter how many dogs you have. All dogs have to meet the administrator to verify friendliness and show they are current on shots. Scoop bags are provided at several locations and all are expected to clean up after their dogs. There are no provisions for smaller or shy dogs, but we have had very few problems. A couple of people have been asked to only come when others aren't there because of their dog's aggression.

My four don't interact a lot, but they like to see the other dogs anyway. And Bella loves to swim!

Have you considered asking for annual dues for upkeep?

Mary

RubyMutt
11-05-2004, 10:39 AM
How exciting :D

We're actually rather lucky to have quite a few dog parks around here. The largest and most popular one is called Marymoor. It's 40 acres :eek: There's plenty of trails, wide open spaces, and a little river great for swimming :) It is an awesome park :D

Miranda_Rae
11-08-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by mruffruff
Have you considered asking for annual dues for upkeep?

What do you mean? I don't think I follow. :o

Oh yes, and I have donated 300 ft of chain link fence to them that we took out of our yard. :D They might use it for the smaller dog section. Fun fun! So excited!

LorraineO
11-08-2004, 10:53 AM
oh how great!!! We dont have a dog park here ,,,,, wish we did!!! Best of luck getting the fence and such!!!!!!

mruffruff
11-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Re: annual dues

For instance, John Smith wants to bring his dogs to play. He can pay a set amount of money which will be set aside for mowing, fence repair, water bills, etc. For his money, he gets a key to the gate for unlimited access.

This serves two purposes. One is to have money on hand for unexpected costs and for improvements and the other is to keep out vandals.

We had some new lawn chairs stolen before we had a good lock installed. Now you need a key and a combination to get into the park. Of course, our park is quite a ways off the beaten path.

Mary

Miranda_Rae
11-18-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by mruffruff
Re: annual dues

For instance, John Smith wants to bring his dogs to play. He can pay a set amount of money which will be set aside for mowing, fence repair, water bills, etc. For his money, he gets a key to the gate for unlimited access.

This serves two purposes. One is to have money on hand for unexpected costs and for improvements and the other is to keep out vandals.

We had some new lawn chairs stolen before we had a good lock installed. Now you need a key and a combination to get into the park. Of course, our park is quite a ways off the beaten path.

Mary

Oh, I don't know if we are going to have that. I should ask tonight at Agility. :) Thanks for the tip. Sounds like a good idea.

Chilli
11-18-2004, 08:44 PM
Congradulations on the new and up-coming dog park!
You guys are lucky, around here we don't have many dog parks :( And none in Arkansas are within a 2 hour drive from where I live since they all are around central AR... mainly in Little Rock.

I would love to have a place to take my dogs so they can interact with other dogs. The closest thing I will get will be when we start group obediance classes with Ethan after Christmas.

elizabethann
11-19-2004, 11:31 AM
I'm so jealous. I live in a very small town outside of Manchester, NH (population OVER 100,000) and would you believe Manchester doesn't even have ONE dog park? The closest one to me is in Derry, NH and that is about 30 minutes away from where I live. There is supposed to be one built in Raymond, NH and that would be about 15 minutes away from where I live. They are thinking it may be built next year some time. I can't wait. To the person who said there's a dog park next to a church, I think that is so awesome. And it's so nice that you send the church money for its upkeep. Congratulations and have fun at the dog park! :)

Uabassoon
11-19-2004, 11:36 AM
Tucson has two dog parks that I know of, they are both run by Parks and Recreation so they are free to the public. They aren't very large, about the size of a baseball field, but the dogs still have lots of fun.