PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Calm a Dog

catmandu
11-04-2004, 08:48 AM
That doesnt like Men.I have a chance,to earn money,for Christmas,by Dog sitting,and The One Dog,is fine,but Tiffany,has a fear,of Men,other taht her Guardian.Is there,any way,to break,the ice,I brough her a Toy,and gave her Treats,butjust as I thought,that we are connecting,she would growl,and hbark,a little scray,to a person,not used to Dogs! Any Ideas? Please!

Jods
11-04-2004, 08:53 AM
Just keep going over and visiting if you have the chance before Christmas. Bring her maybe a biscuit everytime you go and maybe if you go over YOU let her out and do a few of the things you'll be doing while the owner is gone. Then at least she won't be shocked when the owner leaves. There's really not much you can do till she gets used to you. Mercedes is like this with strange people she just needs longer to warm up to them.
Hope this helped a bit.

LorraineO
11-04-2004, 09:06 AM
Time and plenty of patience.... slow going is the key,,, no sudden moves and try to stay down at the dogs level,,,, speak calmly and warmly,,,, let the dog set the pace...... Best of luck....

binka_nugget
11-04-2004, 09:40 AM
Allow her room to back away if she wants to (avoid cornering her and such).

Ask the owner if she has a favorite treat or toy, and try offering it everytime you see her. She'll probably start associating you with good things! Kaedyn doesn't like men. Once, he was having a fit and barking at a guy but as soon as the guy offered his favorite treat, he forgot that he was supposed to hate men. :D

cloverfdx
11-04-2004, 09:40 AM
no sudden moves and try to stay down at the dogs level
Going down to the dogs level can be very threatening to a dog, especially is she is scared already. It will take time and if you can visit with her a few times before christmas and just spend some time with her, offereing her treats etc hopefully she will get used to you. Good luck, please keep us posted on how everything goes.

LorraineO
11-04-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by cloverfdx
Going down to the dogs level can be very threatening to a dog, especially is she is scared already.

Well I didnt mean to go down and put your face in thiers!!!!:D Of course common sense would dictate that one keep a safe distance!!

pitc9
11-04-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by LorraineO
Time and plenty of patience.... slow going is the key,,, no sudden moves and try to stay down at the dogs level,,,, speak calmly and warmly,,,, let the dog set the pace...... Best of luck....

DITTO!!

I've had Buddy for almost two years and he's STILL getting used to my hubby!!!

The most important things... NO QUICK MOVEMENTS, if the dog is asleep, tell him NOT to try to sneak past the dog, wake the dog up first. (My hubby tries that all the time but Buddy wakes up when he's close to him and freaks him out!)

patience...patience....patience....patience!! (and lots of treats!)
If the dog enjoys rides in the car, have him take them for a ride!

catmandu
11-04-2004, 09:55 AM
Thank You,for your replies,and I will take Tiffany,a Toy,the next time,that I am upe,and will talk,to her,and keep,a low profil;e,as I am determined,to be her Friend! And,this time,I will bne a bit more used,to her BARKING!

Denyce
11-04-2004, 11:01 AM
Don't look her in the eyes and don't smile. Looking her in the eyes signals you are more dominant and smiling to dogs can be taken as a snarl. You have to think about it from their perspective.

Talk in soothing tones. Sometimes I find low singing helps to calm animals. It is the repetiveness of your voice. All the other suggestions are great. Just quiet time spent is very helpful along with the treats and such.

Denyce

Logan
11-04-2004, 11:08 AM
Gary, I think if any man can break through to this dog, it will be you!!!! :) You have gotten some excellent advice, and I think patience is the key. Just park yourself near the dog, but don't force yourself on her. Treats from an open hand wouldn't hurt, either! Cut up hotdogs are a good starting point!! :p

Every dog is different, of course, but I think not towering over them is a better way to make them comfortable, getting on eye level so as not to seem "superior" or threatening is good, but obviously, as Lorraine said, not in her face.

Good luck! I'm doing some petsitting myself right now and enjoying thoroughly.

Logan

Kfamr
11-04-2004, 01:16 PM
If poissible, go over there often.
Give the dog everything good -- feed her her meals, take her on her walks, take her to go potty, give her treats, etc..