PDA

View Full Version : Characteristics of your Senior Cats

Logan
11-04-2004, 07:17 AM
This thought struck me at 4:30 am when Mimi jumped on the bed and decided to make "biscuits" on my face. :rolleyes: I am interested in knowing how your "senior" kitties act and feel. Can you tell that they are older in the way they look or the way they act?

Mimi is 15 years old. I have had her since she was a kitten. She's been my daughter longer than my "skin" daughter has! :)

I can tell that she has aged because she is a bit unpredictable at times and is startled much more easily. She can't jump quite as high as she used to be able to either. But, otherwise, if you looked at her, I don't think you would know how old she is. Maybe her size has worked in her favor. She has always been a lightweight, with her weight ranging from 5.5 pounds to 7 pounds at her heaviest. She still hunts, plays on occasion, hisses at her brother, comes when you call her, has clear eyes and excellent hearing. She is loving as always and the person that sits still the longest is always her favorite because she loves to cuddle and sleep. Her teeth show her age according to the vet, but other than that, she is in perfect health.

I consider us very lucky that this girl is doing so well after so many years. Please tell me about your "senior" cat experiences.

catlover4ever
11-04-2004, 07:32 AM
While I have not been Tucker's original owner she has been a part of my family for the last 7 years. The best we can figure she is 18 + years old and in the last 2 years I have noticed that she has begun to "fail".

She is very slow in most things that she does...unless she is hunting ...then you see her run and jump like she was a kitten. She sleeps the majority of the time and does not eat as much as she used to and she lost 2 lbs at her last vet check-up. She also is not able to jump as high as she used to either so I try to make things very easy for her. She has also become very grouchy....I call her Oscar every so often...but I love her so much.

I wish you many, many more happy and wonderful years with Mimi. --- Meg

slick
11-04-2004, 08:14 AM
Oh Debbie!!!! I thread made just for us Feline Fogies!
Max is 11 and maybe it's not that senior but I've noticed in the past year he prefers to sleep than play. He never was a great "player" but always enjoyed the toys that Uncle Gary sent him. Now he sniffs and bats them around a bit and ignores them. He's getting a bit more intolerant to my combing and grooming him and I think he may be getting a touch of arthritis. Other than that, he still sleeps on the pillow beside me everynight and purrs in my ear. :)

Speckles is 17 and her personality has actually mellowed. I never used to be able to touch her tummy but now, when she's on the couch beside me I can give her all the tummy rubs she can handle. She still doesn't like being picked up or restrained but as she's gotten older she doesn't complain as loudly as before. She can't jump on the bed anymore so I have a big plastic storage bin (containing a Santa suit for the Humane Society) beside my bed as a stepping stool. She sleeps at the foot of the bed on a her special blanket. She sleeps alot now. I had the gas fireplace on last night and there she was sprawled out in front of it warming up her tummy.

My lifestyle does not suit a younger cat. When the time comes to choose another kitty it will be an rescued adult at least 8 years old.

cruisetime
11-04-2004, 08:47 AM
For some reason I thought all adult cats would be a little more loving and a little slower and more tolerant. I adopted one that is supposedly 2-1/2 years old and you would swear she was a kitten!!! My hubby said give her a few years but from what you guys are saying she could be a kitten always!!! :) :) :) At least I get a little more exercise- haha. :) I can only hope she is as happy and healthy as all yours are. Debbie

catmandu
11-04-2004, 08:53 AM
I find,taht the Senoir Found Cats,are a lot friendlier,as we have bionded,over the Years,and are still playful.They,are not as tolerant,to new Food and Toys,or Treats!They ,are the Light,of My Life,as I love Older Cats!

Logan
11-04-2004, 09:16 AM
Thank you to those who have responded so far. I love the "seniors", whether they be canine or feline, and I have one of each!!! :)

catlady1945
11-04-2004, 09:57 AM
Our 15 year old calico, Ginger has mellowed considerably. She was a holy terror in her youth. She could jump from the floor to your shoulder - but she's too chubby now to do that. Our 14 year old, orangie, Louis has discovered the cat fountain of youth and still looks like a young cat. He sleeps more than he did though. Our 9 year old, Krissy, also sleeps more than she did.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-04-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by slick
Oh Debbie!!!! I thread made just for us Feline Fogies!

Uummm.....I could write a book on this subject! :D :rolleyes: :D

Tubby was a total terror when he was a kitten. Naturally, as he grew a little older he calmed down a bit, but he has always been the naw-tee one in the family. However, he has always been a snuggle bunny too. So, over the years, his snuggling has increased and his naw-tee-ness has decreased to the point where the only thing I have to yell at him about these days is licking on Peanut. He used to jump up everywhere - now he jumps nowhere except onto the bed with the help of his little step stool, and onto the couch, which isn't that high. He used to be "into" everything, now he's into sleeping. He used to have to always be the center of attention, now he makes an appearance and goes back to bed. He used to be healthy as a horse and I never took him to the vet, now he's on 4 different meds and I have to take him back in 3 months. He used to easily get over stimulated and bite, now he loves pets and very rarely gets cranky. He used to be curious about everything, now he acts like an old codger who's "been there done that, so what?"

Peanut on the other hand, has always been aloof and stand offish. Now in her dotage ;) :p she is much more attention seeking and will even seek out a lap now and then. She never was one to play too much, and now she plays much more often. She used to be a meek little kitty that you rarely heard a peep out of. Now she's squeaking all the time - asking for treats, for attention, telling Tubby to leave her alone. She always liked to be up high and is now starting to not jump as much. She was never plump or anything, but now she is turning into a bag of bones. In the last few years I think she has really "come into herself." I think with the extra attention she gets from Terry (because Tubby was always such a hog of my attention) she has really turned into a little sweetie pie. I also think that as Tubby is slowing down, his role as Alpha is being questioned and she is asserting herself more towards him.

I don't miss coming home to a house in shambles but I do miss Tubby's curiousness. I don't miss the nightly "herd of horses" through the house, but I do miss that they don't play with each other anymore. I don't miss Tubby's incessant whining for treats, but I do miss seeing him by the window surveying his territory.

I've loved every minute of having each of them around and I've loved watching them get older and wiser and settling in in their old age. I'm not going to love watching their health decline any further and I'm going to miss both of them terribly when their time comes. But in the meantime, I love my snuggle bunny big boy and my aloof little princess to pieces. :D

Glacier
11-04-2004, 11:01 AM
Twicket will be 15 in a couple months. I've only had the pleasure for the last 18 months of his life. he was dumped at our local shelter when he was 13 by an owner who just couldn't be bothered anymore.

Twicket is the most affectionate cat I've ever met of any age. He would be happpiest if I could carry him around in a baby snuggly all day. He can not get enough snuggles. He sleeps wrapped around my head and purrs all day long. My husband is convinced that Twicket will eventually die from purring too hard!

Twicket definately looks old. He did have some health problems as a younger cat. He's had a PU surgery and still gets UTIs sometimes. His back end feels "boney", like an elderly person he is loosing his muscle mass. But at his last vet check, all of his blood work was within normal ranges. His liver and kidneys work just fine. Occasionally, a honeysuckle toy can inspire him to play like a kitten for a few minutes.

Edwina's Secretary
11-04-2004, 02:09 PM
My parents had a cat named Annie. I never met her. She wasn't feral but might as well have been. All I ever saw was her back end running away.

When she became old she became a snuggly lap cat...only with my parents but particularly with my father. She would stand by his chair and yell until he sat down in it. She would then jump on his lap and sit there happily for hours.

She died a couple years ago from Injection Sarcoma.

lisalee
11-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Debbie, that was so beautiful what you told us about Tubby and Peanut. I love reading about senior kitties. Sash just turned 12 and doesn't look any older and really doesn't act too different. He certainly is more vocal and demanding when he wants something. He does sleep more, still has a very hearty appetite and still shows interest in playing. He doesn't jump on things as much but I think that has more to do with his weight. Sash has always been very affecionate and cuddly but probably even more so now that he's older. I love my senior boy more than I ever have, and it's encouraging to read about all the older kitties.:)

krazyaboutkatz
11-04-2004, 11:51 PM
My Storm will be 9 years old in January so although he's still much younger than the rest of your senior cats he's still considered a senior. I've noticed that he sleeps more and he's calmed down a lot. I adopted him when he was 1 and he was a big kitten and very active. He finally starting calming down at around 6 but since he has 3 younger brothers he still remains quite active and tries to keep up with them.:)
He's always loved to cuddle when I'm in bed but has never been much of a lap cat and doesn't really like to be held. I'm hoping that as he gets older that he'll enjoy being held more and napping on laps too.:) He's also still very healthy except for the fact that he has calcium oxalates so now all of my furkids are on a special diet. He's the first cat that I've ever owned by myself and he's my heart kitty so I hope he'll live a long happy and healthy life.:)

Logan
11-05-2004, 09:03 AM
Thanks again, everyone. These experiences are helpful to me and others who either have or will have senior kitties. :) I know we will face issues as Mimi gets older, but I am so happy that she is doing so well right now. She goes to the vet less than any other pet I have, actually. I can only think of a couple of occasions where she has had to go in for reasons other than her annual check up. :D Hope she will stay like that for a long, long time!!! :)

Logan

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-05-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by lisalee
Debbie, that was so beautiful what you told us about Tubby and Peanut.

:o Thanks. :)

Killearn Kitties
11-05-2004, 09:51 AM
We think that Jessica might be around 12 or 13 now. She has been a very healthy cat, but Alec feels that she is perhaps getting a little stiff. It maybe takes her longer to stretch her little legs when she gets up after a snooze, I'm not sure.

They all leap around less than they used to, but they all still wrestle, play and pounce. Long may it continue. :)

Kater
11-10-2004, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
When she became old she became a snuggly lap cat...only with my parents but particularly with my father. She would stand by his chair and yell until he sat down in it. She would then jump on his lap and sit there happily for hours.

This sounds a lot like my Nipo! My father and Nipo have become inseparable these past 2 years and in that time Nipo has also become a little less "paranoid" and a little friendlier. Now, she isn't a lap cat and probably never will be - BUT she will demand petting whenever she fancies a scritchie. ;) Usually she makes these demands while waiting for my father by his La-Z-Boy and will assume the role of "guard cat" after he settles into his chair. Nipo is about 11 years old now (based on the shelter's approximation of 6 months at the time we adopted her) and has been with our family since I was just 11 years old.

She is definitely not the "jumper" she used to be. In her younger days she would launch herself into the air to try to reach the bird cages (RB Sunny budgie & RB Hans zebra finch) even though they were hung from the high ceiling so as to be far out of her reach. She also used to have a very tall scratching post (“her tower”) with 4 different perching levels. It stood about 4-4.5 feet tall. She could land right on the top of that thing in just one leap (especially if RB Jack (border collie) was chasing her)! However, by the time she was about 9.5 we noticed she had less desire to climb to her favorite high perch. The tower was looking a bit ragged by then so we traded it in for a shorter version, which she enjoys to this day. Nipo has also been much better about her “scratching habits” in her old age and only ever uses her own posts. However, in her “nawtee” youth she scratched the heck out of the back of a couch and scratched THROUGH a wood door! :o Her natwteeness is easily overlooked though, she’s just so sweet. :)

In my opinion, she doesn’t look a day over two years! The only thing hinting at her age would be her growing “hangy pouch of cuteness” which she’s had since her spay. I’m referring to that bit of loose skin that hangs adorably from some female (and male?) feline’s bellies. Do we have a name for that on PT? Anyway, she has gotten *slightly* wider over the years and so I have *tried* to keep her active and exercising. But she is usually NOT INTERESTED! There is no toy or string or laser light that will get her to move it! But I still try on occasion. She’s not overly sedentary though – she is well known for hysterical Random Cat Outbursts (RCOs) and my parents claim she has recently done full 360 degree FLIPS in the AIR during a few of these episodes. :eek: I’ve never seen it, so I’m not a believer - yet. ;)

I hope she is with me for many, many years to come!!! :) I love my Nipo-potamus! :D :D :D

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Mimi, Tucker, Max, Speckles, Ginger, Louis, Krissy, Tubby, Peanut, Twicket, Annie, Sash, Storm and Jessica! Thanks for sharing these stories about your wonderful and *special* senior kitties! :D

Barbara
11-10-2004, 07:21 AM
Filou and Tigris are 8 years old so I don't think of them as seniors but some of the developments you described I started to notice as well.

Both were not the most people friendly of cats and Filou shows his precious self even less than he used too. He will be a grumpy old man I suppose:D but being an Aby he still is very good in jumping and running.

Tigris however came closer to us humans. He loves to be in the middle of parties. Last year when Randi and John were here we were all surprised Tigris came over and accepted being petted by John- but this year we think it is normal that he asks visitors for attention:D

Both look gorgeous- Filou on the thinner side and Tigris being a handsome hunk! I hope to share my life with them for many years to come:)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-10-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Barbara
Tigris however came closer to us humans. He loves to be in the middle of parties. Last year when Randi and John were here we were all surprised Tigris came over and accepted being petted by John- but this year we think it is normal that he asks visitors for attention:D

Now that you mention this, Barbara, Peanut has done the same thing! She was always one to run and hide whenever a stranger was around. Now, as she gets older, she is coming out more and more for people. She doesn't run and hide immediately, although depending on how the people enter the house, she may be ready to bolt at any second! ;) Every February we have a spaghetti party for our friends. Last year she had to come out and make the rounds and beg from everybody, which totally surprised us. With Peanut, it might have to do with the fact that she is becoming more self confident as Tubby grows older and his alpha-cat status is being challenged. But to me, I don't care why it's happening, I'm just glad it's happening and my little scaredy cat is becoming a little social butterfly. ;) :D

Vermontcat
11-10-2004, 11:44 AM
I've been meaning to post in this thread for a while now, sorry it has taken me so long.
Samantha is 16 now, like Logan's Mimi she is my first baby and she has been very healthy over the years, only needing to go to the vet's when she got spayed and then for her regular checkups.
The only problem she has had is being a little bit too fluffy, but we put her on a special new diet in September which she is doing well on.(less hairballs too!)
She still goes crazy over catnip, and demands our attention when she thinks we aren't giving her enough.
She also still has a lot of attitude at the vet's office which means she has a lot of fight in her still and she doesn't plan on going anywhere soon.
She doesn't jump up on furniture any more but she still does fine with going up and down stairs.
She has picked out a couple of new favorite places to sleep, the bathroom where we put a cat bed for her and now in the laundry room right in front of the dryer where we put a new catnip pad on top of a purr pad to make it extra comfy for her.
She does like to sleep a lot now but has her playful moments too.
I hope I didn't go on for too long, she is just so special to me and I'm so happy that we have had so many years together and that we still have more to come.:)

iloverat
11-10-2004, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
[B]Now that you mention this, Barbara, Peanut has done the same thing! She was always one to run and hide whenever a stranger was around. Now, as she gets older, she is coming out more and more for people.

Our Briggs is still a youngster at 5 but I had to add a comment. Briggs is not terribly sociable, runs and hides whenever anyone comes over. She plays favorites and will come out for one or two specially annointed friends. Now, having said this, I had a gathering of female friends two years ago and guess who decided to be the party girl??!!! None of us could believe it when Miss Briggs sauntered in midst all the revelers, took her seat and stayed with us for most of the celebration. :eek: :eek: :eek: We all felt quite honored by the princess's presence. Hasn't happened since that one time - she's back to hiding under the bed every time someone rings the doorbell. :rolleyes:

Bobbi