PDA

View Full Version : The Political Olive Branch

jazzzytina
11-03-2004, 02:35 PM
Ok, now the election is over. The concession and victory speeches have been made. Both were good speeches. Both candidates are committed Americans, albeit with different ideas. How can we put those ideas together to make America stronger?

As a Democrat, I'd like to reach out to my fellow American Republicans and congratulate you on the President's victory. And I'd like to give you a little "laundry list" of things I'd like to see done under his watch the next four years:

1. Help the economy. My county, Davidson Co, NC, has lost almost its entire furniture industry to outsourced jobs. We are the home of Lexington Home Brands, Bob Timberlake furniture and Thomasville Furniture, who at one time were major manufacturers of this nation's furniture. Good people lost jobs, and these people have no where else to turn. Education is not always the answer when you have to put food on the table for the kids tonight.

2. Make peace in the world. Help other nations to like and admire us rather than fear us and hate us. Reach out to help those in need.

3. Help the disabled, the elderly and the sick to obtain medicines, treatment and disability coverage in order to survive and not become homeless.

4. Help the disenfranchised of our society who don't have enough resources for basics such as shoes, food, clothing, homes.

5. Embrace rather than condemn people of all persuasions - whether that is racial, religious, gay or lesbian, old, young, fat, thin, etc. It's our differences that make us America. Remember the "melting pot"?

6. Help us to get out of Iraq as quickly as possible with as few casualties on both sides as possible.

If these things are considered and acted upon, then I will be happy to be supportive of our President and give him the respect the highest office of the land deserves.

Thank you, and thanks for voting yesterday and helping to make the process of democracy work. I admire you for your tenacity and strong beliefs in the President and his platform.

Peace,
Tina

Pam
11-03-2004, 02:45 PM
Thank you for this thread. Believe it or not, had Kerry won I was thinking of starting a similar thread. Honest!!! I thought 3 of the 4 speeches today were very good. I didn't care for Edwards' speech though because I still detected hostility. At some point people have to let go and move on.

aly
11-03-2004, 02:49 PM
I'm feeling a little more peaceful since the speeches are over. I'm not happy by a long shot, but I'm starting to realize that instead of sitting here being bitter, I should accept what has happened and make the best of it. Thank you for setting a wonderful example, Tina.

Samantha Puppy
11-03-2004, 03:00 PM
What a nice thread. Thank you, Tina. It's nice to see that despite everyone's vast political opinions and agendas, we can still put it aside and focus on what's really important - our goals, which are so similar... we just differ on the paths in which to reach them.

tatsxxx11
11-03-2004, 03:22 PM
Thanks Tina for reaching out and helping to mend fences!!! And being the good Democrat that I am, and in true "bleeding heart" fashion, I'd like to extend an olive branch of my own and invite you all to gather round and embrace in one big group hug and join in, singing that consummate "feelings flock" anthem, "Cum-bay-ah"

All together now....(C'mon, I know you know the words:D)

Cum-bay-ah, m'lord, Cum-bay-ah
Oh Lord, Cum-bay-ah

Someone's Singing Lord, Cum-bay-ah
Oh Lord, Cum-bay-ah

Someone's Crying Lord, Cum-bay-ah
Oh Lord, Cum-bay-ah

Someone's Praying Lord, Cum-bay-ah
Oh Lord, Cum-bay-ah

Someone's Sining Lord, Cum-bay-ah
Someone's Crying Lord, Cum-bay-ah.

Oh Lord, Cum-bay-ah!

There, now don't you feel better???:):):)

ramanth
11-03-2004, 03:54 PM
Taking deep breaths. :D

I missed the speeches, but thanks for the post Tina. :) I agree wholeheartedly.

lizzielou742
11-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the post. I fully demand of GWB to turn this economy around, bring the soldiers home after the Iraqi elections in January, fix the healthcare crisis facing our nation, and make our nation fully safe. It's all on him now. We will see how well he does this time.

Today, I may not have any faith that he can do such things. But, I know a lot of people do.

RICHARD
11-03-2004, 04:26 PM
I SWEAR THIS IS TRUE!!!!

I have an olive tree outside my door,

On windy days I hear the plop plop plop of falling olives,
Then I step on them and they stick to the bottom of my shoes,
They get dragged into my house.
I have poked my eye on the low branches and scratched myself on the stumps of the branches I have removed....

So if I am a little skeptical, that's why!!!!!;)

tatsxxx11
11-03-2004, 04:29 PM
Skip the olive branch and stick to the song then, Richard:D Too bad you don't a grape vine...it might be worth the mess:D