PDA

View Full Version : I hate politics!

Miranda_Rae
11-03-2004, 12:08 PM
I hate, hate, HATE it! I am so sick of everyone saying nasty things about people who voted for this one or that one, and saying nasty things about each canidate! :mad: I am so sick of it. All it ever does is make people upset, worried, confused, etc. and thats something I do NOT like to deal with at all! I worry and stress out easily, and with all this political talk, I freak out! :o :( :rolleyes: I know I am totally pathetic, but I just HAD to vent, because its driving me NUTS! :mad: :rolleyes: Ok....I'm done. :) :o

aly
11-03-2004, 12:10 PM
You're not alone. I'm sure we're all feeling that way, no matter who we support or what our political views are :(

jazzzytina
11-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Miranda, you're not totally pathetic. Everyone is feeling stressed out in one way or another today. That's why we have a democracy. I voted for Kerry. The people spoke, and the President got a majority of the electoral votes as well as a majority of the popular vote. That's how it's supposed to work. We all just need to be adults now and put the bitterness behind us and try to work together to make America a better place, and to make the world a better place. I'm encouraged by how many people got out and voted - more than since 1968. (I was 4 that year). That's democracy in action. People on both sides of the fence who are stressed or upset or rejoicing are deeply and passionately committed to our country - and that's a good thing. If nobody gave a damn, we'd be in a much sorrier situation.

Don't worry - it'll all be ok.

Peace,
Tina

K9soul
11-03-2004, 12:24 PM
I get stressed and down about all of it too Miranda, that's a big reason I just don't get involved in debates with people about it. People can and do get personally hurt by all of it, and long after the elections are over, those hurtful things said and done remain with a person. I don't want to be responsible for hurting someone and I don't want to be hurt either so I generally keep to myself with my feelings on it all. I discuss it with my husband because we have a lot of the same feelings on it all, and I know he won't turn it into something personal even if we do have different views on something.

This isn't directed just at the Doghouse discussions at Pet Talk but at political conflict that has been all around us, everywhere we go.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
11-03-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by jazzzytina
We all just need to be adults now and put the bitterness behind us and try to work together to make America a better place, and to make the world a better place. I'm encouraged by how many people got out and voted - more than since 1968. (I was 4 that year). That's democracy in action. People on both sides of the fence who are stressed or upset or rejoicing are deeply and passionately committed to our country - and that's a good thing. If nobody gave a damn, we'd be in a much sorrier situation.

Don't worry - it'll all be ok.

Peace,
Tina

Hear hear!

Samantha Puppy
11-03-2004, 12:26 PM
It's okay. Just remember - believe whatever you want to believe. If someone asks you about your beliefs, tell them about them. But don't go around telling other people that their opinions are wrong and that they're stupid for not thinking what you think. Everyone's entitled to say and think whatever they'd like. People can have debates without them turning into fights - case and point, my 'separation of church and state' conversation with Maresche this morning.

So don't get stressed. Take the higher road, state your beliefs if you'd like, listen to what others say and that's that. There is no need to degenerate into name-calling, nit-picking, view-bashing fights. :)

tatsxxx11
11-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Very well said, Tina and I agree totally! I just hope that those on both sides who have in the past chosen to pursue a path of divisivness, rethink this destructive course of action.

trayi52
11-03-2004, 12:32 PM
Yeap, I'm just like you, I hate politics!

Logan
11-03-2004, 12:51 PM
Miranda Rae, this is exactly the thing I fear about our nation's young people (our future leaders) when we have "ugly" elections like this one has been. 2000's Presidential Election was the same way. :( Your points are valid because it is hard to swallow. But you know what? Regardless of the outcome, Americans have continued to have the right to speak out and express their feelings. Some of us vote one way, some the other. We continue to thrive and survive, regardless and we're going to continue to do so. Speaking up is the BEST possible thing, and educating yourself as you have done is too!

Hang in there. :)

Logan

Miranda_Rae
11-03-2004, 01:03 PM
The normal discussing the canadites (did I spell that wrong? :o), and having a civil discussion on how they want so and so to win, doesn't stress/upset me that bad, its the name calling, degrading etc of the candadites and people who voted for someone they didn't want to win that stresses/upsets me. :(

CathyBogart
11-03-2004, 02:15 PM
That's not politics. Politics is simply who gets what, when, ad how. Don't hate politics, hate pettiness.

Pam
11-03-2004, 02:56 PM
I think people are more apt to be mean and say hurtful things on a board such as this because of the anonymity. At my office there are only 7 employees (six girls and one male boss). At the outset of the election campaign we all pretty much knew who was voting for who (my boss and I were Bush supporters and the others were for Kerry). We kept politics out of most of our discussions and if it did crop up it was handled in a more thoughtful way. Today at work there was no gloating and no bashing. It's called r-e-s-p-e-c-t and I think there would be more of it here at Pet Talk if we were all in a room together and people weren't just firing off insults from a keyboard.

Miranda Rae welcome to the world of politics and elections :) - not always a pretty thing but we are all Americans and we will survive! :)

jcsperson
11-03-2004, 08:09 PM
Interesting how somebody posted here in agreement to the first post while unashamedly bashing a political candidate in another thread.

Kfamr
11-03-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by jcsperson
Interesting how somebody posted here in agreement to the first post while unashamedly bashing a political candidate in another thread.

Must you come here JUST to start things!?

dukedogsmom
11-03-2004, 08:18 PM
Kay, don't you know that's how he gets his fun? Yep, he's such an asSet to PT. Please, everyone, quit feeding him.

Miss Meow
11-03-2004, 08:20 PM
MR, you live in the world's most powerful country that supports democracy and the opportunity for every American-born person to run for office. I think people sometimes forget that when they whine and bitch and complain and treat it like supporting a football game. People risk their lives in many other countries to even have the right to cast a vote or have a say in who runs their country. It's a shame that politics is seen as nasty and politicians as dirtbags, because really, it should be something to aspire towards. One day!

jcsperson
11-03-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
Kay, don't you know that's how he gets his fun? Yep, he's such an asSet to PT. Please, everyone, quit feeding him. Thank you for helping me make my point.

Miranda_Rae
11-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Please don't turn this into an arguement guys. :( I really wouldn't like this to turn into it. Thanks! :)

Karen
11-03-2004, 09:36 PM
Politics is part of the joy and pain of living in a democracy.

And now, post-election, we can get down to the harder work of actually trying to make the country a better place for everyone, regardless of their political stripe. Remember, participatory democracy only works if we do participate! Don;t, for example, just whine to your pals, write to your elected representatives - the more local, the better!

And even though this is "the Dog House" it is still part of Pet Talk, and we should all treat each other with respect.

All the time.

Yes, I mean you.

Thank you.

Miranda_Rae
11-03-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Politics is part of the joy and pain of living in a democracy.

And now, post-election, we can get down to the harder work of actually trying to make the country a better place for everyone, regardless of their political stripe. Remember, participatory democracy only works if we do participate! Don;t, for example, just whine to your pals, write to your elected representatives - the more local, the better!

And even though this is "the Dog House" it is still part of Pet Talk, and we should all treat each other with respect.

All the time.

Yes, I mean you.

Thank you.

I didn't think I was being disrespectful. :( I'm sorry if I was....I didn't mean to, it just seemed to make me upset and confused, and I thought I would mention it. I'm sorry....:(

Logan
11-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Miranda, I can't help but think that Karen meant "you", as in anyone who was reading her message, not "you", personally. I'm not trying to answer for her, obviously, but I think maybe you didnt realize that she meant ALL of us.

Logan

Miranda_Rae
11-03-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Logan
Miranda, I can't help but think that Karen meant "you", as in anyone who was reading her message, not "you", personally. I'm not trying to answer for her, obviously, but I think maybe you didnt realize that she meant ALL of us.

Logan

Oh I hope so....I figured maybe she was talking about me, to me, because I started the thread.