PDA

View Full Version : Food for urinary tract...

Tonya
11-02-2004, 08:49 PM
The food at the vet was $15 for a 4lb bag. What other foods are out there that will protect Ron from getting another UTI? If I have to pay $15 a bag, I will, but if I can find something cheaper that'd be great.

p.s. I got some stuff that you rub on the cat's fur weekly that is supposed to eliminate most dander. Wish me luck!

Tonya
11-03-2004, 08:53 AM
bump

catlover4ever
11-03-2004, 08:55 AM
Tonya.....does Ron get crystals in his urine or is it strictly a UTI? --- Meg

catmandu
11-03-2004, 08:57 AM
I think,that there is a Cat Chow,Formula,and I know that Nutro,has one,as well.

Tonya
11-03-2004, 09:03 AM
It was just a UTI, and it is his first one that we know of. But the vet says most pet store food is crap and I should get something better to be safe.

catlover4ever
11-03-2004, 09:20 AM
Tonya, I don't think I can be very much help but I use a tablet in Smokey's food called Methio-Form. It is a crushable tablet that I use twice a day to help him with his urinary tract health. Smokey suffered many UTI and he refused to eat the food the vet wanted me to use so instead of paying for food he would not eat we were able to use the Methio-Form and we have not had a problem since.

I do know that there is also a UTI paste that you can use to help keep their PH lower and aids in urinary tract health as well....here is a link to the paste.

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-2026

For Smokey's food I use the Purina Chicken and Rice crunchy food and for wet food I try to look for foods with the lowest amount of ash in the ingredients.

Hope some of this helps.

K & L
11-03-2004, 09:21 AM
I don't know of any cheaper. We have to feed Porch food for this also, and we're paying about $17 a bag.

Tonya
11-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Thanks, everyone. The vet told me he wasn't eating that one that he'd recommended during his stay. (Which is probably why he lost weight.) There's a small pet store here that always has samples...I'm going to stop by and get a few and see what he'll eat. If he doesn't like any of them, I'll check out the tablets or paste.

Fox-Gal
11-03-2004, 09:55 AM
It's been awhile sense I has to go through this, but my Tigger went through this and hated the food the vet gave us. So we did find low ash food at the stores for him. It's just been so long, I don't remember the name.

But I do know if you take the time and read the bag/can you can find something. Just look for anything with a ash count of 2.5 or lower. I use to read every can/bag on the shelf till I finally found what worked and what he would eat.

cubby31682
11-03-2004, 10:02 AM
The last bag of the food I got for Cubby I paid $40. It's worth it, it keeps him healthy. He is starting to gain a little bit of a "plush belly". I haven't had any problems with him though.

mruffruff
11-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Two of my cats had bloody urine and straining to pee at separate times. Both had to go to the emergency room--$250 each. My vet recommended Purina One Urinary Tract dry food. It costs about $10 a bag for about 9 pounds (I think). It's been about a year and so far, so good.

Mary