PDA

View Full Version : Kitty Body Language :-)

QueenScoopalot
11-01-2004, 08:22 PM
http://www.herald-sun.com/orange/10-536240.html

Get to know feline body language to better understand your cat

By Ellen S. Whitaker : APS of Orange County
Oct 23, 2004 : 8:52 pm ET

CHAPEL HILL -- The body language of cats is often misunderstood. The incorrect assumption that a cat's body language is similar to a dog's is a common reason for this.

A cat's tail can be expressive, but the movements and their meanings can be quite different from those of dogs. With the exception of one odd little Cornish Rex cat, I've never known cats to wag their tails rhythmically to express happiness. Cats generally don't "wag" their tails at all. Cats whip, swish, flick and wave their tails.

When a cat vigorously whips or swishes the entire tail, the cat is not at all happy. This is an extremely annoyed or angry cat, ready and willing to attack. A submissive posture will also include a swishing tail, but it will be held lower.

Mildly irritated or indecisive cats will flick the tip of their tails in erratic rhythms. They may be purring on your lap, but if you're not petting them "just right," the tail-tip will begin to move. Despite their appreciation for your affection, they may leave rather than continue to endure the imperfect attention you're giving.

A tail held vertical with a bend near the tip indicates a cat that's happy and interested in something. A tail held rigidly vertical, including the tip, communicates intense happiness or anticipation of something wonderful -- such as some love from you.

Your cat may greet you affectionately by rubbing against you and wrapping her tail around your leg. Cats greet each other in this way, intertwining tails as they pass one another. If your cat licks you or rubs against you with her nose or forehead, she is clearly displaying affection. Rubbing her cheek against you, however, while communicating fondness, also serves to mark you as her territory with the scent glands in her cheek.

If, while you are petting your cat, she plops onto her back, this is a display of trust, not an invitation to scratch her tummy. A dog would want the belly rub. When a cat turns her backside to you, this is another common display of trust -- not an insult.

When a cat is confronted with a potential foe (the neighbor's dog or an unfamiliar cat, perhaps), a bend in the forelegs indicates a reluctance to fight, but a willingness to do so if necessary. Bent hind legs indicate indecision or lack of confidence. Huddling down with legs tucked under the body indicates submissiveness and a readiness to flee (or fight, if unavoidable).

An arched tail, with head held high, indicates a defensive but confident posture. Often, the cat will also arch his back, bristle his hair and stand on tiptoes with his side facing his opponent. The cat looks larger in this position, which may cause his opponent to back off without anyone getting hurt. However, a defensive cat can quickly go on the offense if the threat persists.

The ears of a happy and alert cat are erect and often in motion, following every little sound. Angry cats point their ears forward at an angle. Frightened cats flatten their ears to the side of their heads to indicate submission, hoping to avoid being attacked and injured.

Cats often greet each other with an eye-blink, but staring makes them uncomfortable. Dilated pupils usually indicate a fearful cat that's about to become aggressive. A cat that's spotted prey will thrust whiskers and ears forward. She will sneak slowly and patiently toward the prey with her body low to the ground and then, quite suddenly, launch a full-scale attack.

Cats purr and knead with their paws while nursing from their mothers. Purring and kneading in adulthood have long been understood as signs of contentment. These behaviors are also seen in cats that are too sick or injured to actually be content. In these cases, purring and kneading may be a means of comforting themselves, or may indicate that they are feeling comforted by you.

A cat's posture communicates a lot about how that cat is feeling. If your cat is lying stretched out, belly up, it is very warm in the room. A huddled and stiff position with the tail wrapped tightly around the body indicates that the cat is cold. On the other hand, if the cat is in a similar position without the stiffness, or is curled up on her side with her tail wrapped loosely around her body, this indicates a healthy and content cat.

A sick cat doesn't usually curl up at all, but will lie in a position that takes less energy. Also, if a cat walks with his head down, or appears to be dragging his tail behind him, he is probably sick. Call your vet if you notice any unusual behaviors or postures.

Uniqueviking
11-01-2004, 09:28 PM
I'm terrible, but I sometimes put finger tip on Boomer's tail - just to tease - when he starts that flicking of the tip of the tail :o

...can't help it. His tail is so soft and it's so cute when he then turns around and scolds me for doing it, lol!

Don Juan's mom
11-01-2004, 09:29 PM
I'm pleased to note that Don Juan usually carries his tail on the vertical, with a little bend at the tip.:)

But... when he's watching birds through the open door, he will sometimes sit or crouch with his tail wrapped around himself. I wonder if that's to insure that the twitching tip won't give him away.... :D

Liz

Laura's Babies
11-01-2004, 10:17 PM
I reckon I need to print all that out and refer to it when I need to..:)

trayi52
11-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Thats a very interesting article, Jan. Thanks for the info.:)

catfamily
11-02-2004, 12:30 AM
Great info.Printed it out.Thanks Jan:D

catnapper
11-02-2004, 07:12 AM
Great article. I found this to be especially interesting:

A cat's posture communicates a lot about how that cat is feeling. If your cat is lying stretched out, belly up, it is very warm in the room. A huddled and stiff position with the tail wrapped tightly around the body indicates that the cat is cold. On the other hand, if the cat is in a similar position without the stiffness, or is curled up on her side with her tail wrapped loosely around her body, this indicates a healthy and content cat.
I'll have to watch my mosnters now to see how they curl up.

smokey the elder
11-02-2004, 08:38 AM
When Tic Tac shows his belly, he definitely wants it scritched!

catmandu
11-02-2004, 08:40 AM
That is an excellent thread,as Cats,are not dogs,they all have thier different characteristics! Dogs,being pack and larger,are a bit braver,tahn the smaller Cat,who has to be more careful,around us,until we can be trusted!