View Full Version : A VERY good reason to keep cats indoors :-(

QueenScoopalot
11-01-2004, 08:16 PM
http://www.thelouisvillechannel.com/news/3859638/detail.html

Indiana Cat Survives Being Shot In Head With Arrow
Police Don't Know Who Shot Animal

POSTED: 9:12 am EDT October 27, 2004
UPDATED: 5:24 pm EDT October 28, 2004

BEDFORD, Ind. -- A 2-year-old tabby cat is recovering at its owner's home after being shot in the head with an arrow last week, the owner said.

The cat, Lama, had been let outside with Diane Acton's other cats on the evening of Oct. 19. The next morning, Acton's daughter found Lama with an arrow through its head on their front porch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Slideshow: Pictures Of Injured Cat
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Acton said she took the cat to a veterinarian's office, where the arrow was taken out. Vets said the arrow didn't pierce anything vital, and the cat apparently didn't suffer brain damage, Indianapolis television station WRTV reported.

"(Lama) is doing really well," Acton said in a telephone interview Tuesday. "She's eating. She's up and around."

Acton said Lama suffered a concussion, and that a vet told her it was impossible to tell now whether the cat would suffer long-term effects from the injury.

Acton called police after finding the cat injured. Police do not know who shot the arrow, WRTV reported.

A vet told Acton that after looking at the way the arrow entered cat's head, he was sure the shot was deliberate, Acton said.

Acton said this wasn't the first time one of her cats had been attacked. She said that in September 2003, someone's pit bull attacked one of Acton's cats outside the home, killing it.

She called police after that incident, but no one was cited.
GRRRRRRR..love the next to last paragraph! That should have ended this woman's insistance on letting her cats out! :mad: :( :mad:

Uniqueviking
11-01-2004, 09:16 PM
I read the headline of the article and that was more than enough for me. My heart just bleeds :(

...AND it makes me angry beyond belief.

We had a case here in Denmark last week of a 16 year old and two 15 year old boys setting pets on fire simply "because they wanted to see what it looked like when animals burn". That was the explanation they gave when the police caught them.

I'm not ashamed to say, I'd like to have 5 minutes alone, just 5 minutes, with people like that... :mad:

jazzcat
11-01-2004, 09:32 PM
My Ripley was shot with an arrow in his leg over 10 years ago. I didn't want to let him out but he snuck out the front door once and then hubby talked me into letting him out regularly. This had been going on for about five months and then one day he didn't come home. We searched for two days and finally he showed up injured. Somehow that poor little guy managed to climb the 5 foot tall chain link fence into the back yard and up the deck to the back door. Ripley had either chewed off the the shaft off the arrow or it broke off and the vet removed the rest from inside his leg which ran from his knee down to the bend of his foot.

Since then I vowed to never let my cats outside again.

catfamily
11-02-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by jazzcat
My Ripley was shot with an arrow in his leg over 10 years ago. I didn't want to let him out but he snuck out the front door once and then hubby talked me into letting him out regularly. This had been going on for about five months and then one day he didn't come home. We searched for two days and finally he showed up injured. Somehow that poor little guy managed to climb the 5 foot tall chain link fence into the back yard and up the deck to the back door. Ripley had either chewed off the the shaft off the arrow or it broke off and the vet removed the rest from inside his leg which ran from his knee down to the bend of his foot.

Since then I vowed to never let my cats outside again.
OMG how awful for Ripley and for you.I guess you didn't find out who did it right?You're like me.Noone goes outside.Except my BooBoo went out for about 3 minutes with me or Mike..to walk down the driveway and back or to chew grass in back a few times.But that is stopping now because I have to many cats and I don't want them to see BooBoo go out (with us).We stayed right next to him.My neighbors must think we're crazy over protective seeing the way we stuck like glue with BooBoo.I can't stand to see cats outdoors unless they are in their yard or on their own porch steps.(Even that bothers me if I know the owners car isn't in the driveway.)
Thank goodness I don't have human kids.I'm to overprotective.LOL

catmandu
11-02-2004, 08:48 AM
The Found cats,are always indoors,and if the Guardians,of Gem,Roadblock,and Orange Blossom,had done that,those Cats would be alive Today.And of course Dear Karina!

jazzcat
11-02-2004, 09:19 AM
Carla - no, we never found out who shot him.:( The vet said maybe someone thought he was a racoon because of his size and markings but I live in a very busy area where no one should be hunting so I think it was just someone being mean.

catfamily
11-02-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by jazzcat
Carla - no, we never found out who shot him.:( The vet said maybe someone thought he was a racoon because of his size and markings but I live in a very busy area where no one should be hunting so I think it was just someone being mean.
I think the vet knew better but was trying to spare more heartbreak on you.Who would have a bow an arrow set up for a racoon?Yup...some meany out there.Too bad you couldn't of found out who it was and get a bow and arrow out and shoot him with it.:eek: I'm awful,I know.But I do beleive in an eye for an eye.LOL