PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about outside only pets?

greysandmoregreys
11-01-2004, 11:50 AM
I'm sure this question has been asked many times but I hadn't seen any threads on it so figure I would ask :)

I'm kinda in a toss up about outside only pets. That being dogs, cats, you know the normal house pets.

I understand that it would be tough to have an inside horse or cow ;) and these are known as pets also so just trying to clarify :)

I know that when I was young our family had a GSD that just hated to be inside for any lenght of time. She loved to just lay outside and soak up the sun and enjoy what was going on around her outside. She would come in and after about 5 min would be whining to go back outside.

So what are everyones thoughts?

aly
11-01-2004, 11:52 AM
I strongly disagree with outside only pets. I think if you adopt/buy/find an animal, you are making a committment to take this animal as a part of your life and family. Their emotional well-being is just as important as their physcial well-being. My heart breaks for the animals that spend their lives in a backyard looking inside at their "family" on the other side of the door :(

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-01-2004, 11:55 AM
I don't like it when dogs are being kept outside at all but when I was younger my family had to dog-sit a German Shepherd and he LOVED to be outside, we didn't like that he was living outside all the time but as soon as we brought him back in the house he would run to the door and bark, whine and scratch at the door because he wanted out again so finally we gave up and let him go outside. He always had plenty of water, toys and also a dog house incase he got too hot though, we also spent alot of time outside with him too so he wouldn't get lonely, he had very thick fur and was alwasy really hot in the house so I think that's why he liked to be outside. At night we brought him in the house. Generally I hate it when dogs are kept outside!

Oh and I just wanted to add that if this was my personal dog I wouldn't have wanted him to be outside all the tme but obviously he had lived outside for 7 years and living with us for a week I wasn't going to make him stay in the house.

guster girl
11-01-2004, 12:00 PM
I wouldn't personally ever have a pet strictly outside. But, as long as the pet is well nourished, given the attention it needs, and, has proper shelter, I'm ok with it. My neighbors had two outside dogs and they spent a lot of time with them. I've seen more neglect with outsdie pets than I have with inside pets, for sure. But, honestly, those people shouldn't have pets at all. Even if they were kept inside, they wouldn't be cared for. I completely disagree with a dog on a tie out for any length of time, though.

binka_nugget
11-01-2004, 12:03 PM
I think anyone adopting/buying a pet should only do it if they're willing to make the pet a part of the family and keep it indoors for a majority of the time.

However, if the dog liked being outside (and the yard was well secured), I wouldn't have a problem with leaving the door open so the dog could come in and out as it wished.

cali
11-01-2004, 12:03 PM
depends, I know my moms boss was denied a dog he wanted to adopt because it would be outside only, here is the thing...the guys buisness is on his land, he owns the buisess, the dogs have full run of the office building, which is larger then his hous,e they also sleep in the garage, which is attached to the house, but my moms boss is also ONLY indoors to sleep, otherwise he is always outside, his wife is also outside all the time because she has a little hobby farm, with chickens and a garden etc.. they are still learning about dogs but they are very willing to learn and have lots of refernces from various people, my mom included, as well as breeders etc... the guy just wants to rescue dogs, unfortinaly all the rescues deny him for the sole reason of that the dogs will not be indoor only. he did end up rescuing a dog a little while ago, a keesie mix girl that was found dumped on the highway.

Fox-Gal
11-01-2004, 12:21 PM
There are cases where there might not be a choice in the matter. Case in point, My Odie. He is a full time outside dog and yes I have been given H@#l for it by some people.

What they don't relize is when I got Odie, he was beaten with in a inch of his life and the shelter called him un-adoptable, because of his behaiver. So I took him in before he was to be put down.

I tried for years to get him, house trained, for that matter just to get him not afraid of the house. What ever happened to Odie, had to happen in a house and he has never recovered from it. He will come in side, if the front door is left open, but once it's closed, he do anything to get back out.

So here where my chooses. 1, to have him live outside and be happier or 2, I could have let the shelter put him down, because they belived he was un-adoptable at the time. I choice outside over being put to sleep any day.

Of course over the years sense I have had him, he now would be adoptable, but still would be a outside dog, no matter who got him..........And he's mine now and I love him, so we do the best we can by him, to make his outside life good and happy.

And if you ever came over and meet Odie, you say what everyone says when they see him........"That's one happy dog."

Even Tuffy and Cannilla are outside most of the time even though the both have the choice to come inside when ever they want. They just like it outside. Except when the weather turns cold, then you will find them inside. :D

Outside doesn't always mean a bad thing. Inside is better of course, but with the right housing outside, lots of love and caring, time spent with them, outside is not all that bad. Just don't let me see a outside dog chained up, living in a small area with not much human time......... Then I'll raise H#$L.

pitc9
11-01-2004, 12:23 PM
I feel bad for those poor animals left outside all the time. I try to understand... but it still upsets me. People will say most Northern breed dogs, Malamutes, Huskies... etc.. like to be outside. That may be the case, but I still feel bad for them. :(

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-01-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by pitc9
I feel bad for those poor animals left outside all the time. I try to understand... but it still upsets me. People will say most Northern breed dogs, Malamutes, Huskies... etc.. like to be outside. That may be the case, but I still feel bad for them. :(

That's how I felt with the GSD I had to dog-sit but he wouldn't stay inside no matter how hard I tried:( but he seemed happy outside so after a couple of days I gave up and left him there but he was allowed to come in whenever he wanted too:)

micki76
11-01-2004, 12:35 PM
I think some dogs probably DO prefer to be outside, whether they’re scared of the indoors, or just like it outside. Some, like my Millie, like to be outside all day (even if we’re home), but come evening, she wants to be with inside us. (I have a pet door, so mine go in and out at their leisure.)

Chester prefers the indoors for the majority of the day. :)

Now, behind us there’s a husky mix that’s miserable. He’s outside 24/7/365. He howls, barks, digs, and make a HUGE nuisance of himself to the entire neighborhood because he’s bored. This is the type of outside dog that burns me up. They NEVER have any time for him, or take him inside. EVER. He gets food and that's about it for attention.

The people next to me treat their “yard” dogs pretty much the same way, yet they have a toy poodle inside. This one I really don’t get. They got all 3 as puppies, so I know the Dal & Lab weren’t too afraid to be inside, or they could’ve been crate trained. They do at least put them in the garage at night, and their dogs don’t bark (unlike the husky mix). They don’t get much attention. :(

On the other side of us are two dogs that are only out during the day. They go in at night and sleep in a crate. One’s a heeler and one’s a beagle. They don’t disrupt and are honestly happier playing and sunbathing during the day than they would be in crates. They get playtime and attention.

Glacier
11-01-2004, 12:45 PM
I have one dog who is strictly outdoors. Kayleigh comes in very rarely. She hates being inside. Generally, she comes in, gets a treat and waits at the door to go back outside. There are a number of reasons why Kayleigh is an outside dog. First she's a malamute-wolf hybrid. She has an astonishing coat and she overheats in minutes in the house. Second, she has an out of control prey drive. I have to lock up all my cats for Kayleigh to come inside. Third, she is dog aggressive and none of the other dogs can be inside while she is. I refuse to make Preacher spend any more time outside than he has to. His health won't take it. Kayleigh is young and extremely healthy.

Had I known what I know now about Kayleigh, I probably wouldn't have adopted her and she would be dead. Had the shelter known what I know about Kayleigh she would have been declared unadoptable and put down. That would have been a tragedy.

That said, I adore Kayleigh. She's a wonderful dog in many ways. I make a special effort to spend time with her. If I'm going for a long hike in the middle of nowhere, Kayleigh is always the dog who comes with me. I make a point of giving her extra attention since she doesn't get house time. If my hubby is working in his shop, he often takes Kayleigh in there with him. We are working on a way to build her an enclosure attached to the shop so she can come and go out of there at will & still keep the other dogs safe.

As for the Northern breed thing, if I'm outside in the winter and my hands get cold, I go stick them on Kayleigh's belly! She melts snow even at -40C! My dogs are happier and much more active at -20C than they are at 20C. Most of mine do come in at night, but sometimes they absolutely refuse to! I've rarely seen them use a doghouse. I waste alot of money buying straw for their houses that they kick out into the snow! I know mushers who have survived a night in the bush by having their dogs sleep on top of them in the sled basket. They give off an amazing amount of heat!

Generally, I think dogs should be part of the family. But I know lots of sled dogs who have never seen the inside of building who get more interaction with their owners than some inside dogs. It's just as easy to ignore a dog inside as it is to ignore one outside. I know inside dogs who spend long hours in their crates, even when someone is home.

GoldenRetrLuver
11-01-2004, 01:03 PM
Molly and Daisy are indoor/outdoor dogs.
They have doghouses in our backyard patio with nice, big beds inside of them for when we're not here (school, work, etc). Our patio is pretty large, so when they do have to spend part of the day outside, they're protected from the cold weather, wind, rain, etc.

Here's a picture of it:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid145/p18b6cfb85c3724882a8ccb5fb70aa452/f66b58e1.jpg

They also have indoor beds, which they usually sleep on at night. They both love to be outside, but of course, prefer to be inside with us, where they are for a huge majority of the time. :)

Our cats are also indoor only, as well as our cockatiels and our hamster. Our six desert tortoises are kept outside. When they were smaller, they had an area in the back of the yard which was covered, so birds and other animals that might be considered a threat couldn't get to them. Now since they've gotten bigger, my dad built a "playhouse" kind of room for them which is out in the backyard, attached to the garage. They go in there when it's time for them to hibernate. Otherwise, they usually have "free roam" of the backyard. (Don't worry, the dogs don't bother them, and vice versa. :))

I hate to see dogs and cats left outside 24/7. The family next to us has two Chihuahuas which are almost ALWAYS left outside. They used to have a Dalmation, which was tied to a tree 24/7 a few years ago. I don't know what happened to her. :(

On the other side of us, there's a family who has a Chow, which I've rarely seen welcomed inside as well.

I'll never understand why people get a dog or a cat, and leave them outside in the yard 24/7, with no attention. It's just not right. :(

Miranda_Rae
11-01-2004, 01:08 PM
First off I don't like outside animals. For one, they are social creatures, and I really don't know why anyone would want to have them outside when they could have them inside.

Second my family has 2 outside cats. Now before you get mad at me, let me explain. We have a heated shop and they are in that most of the time. Second they get ALL of their shots, and third my parents don't want them in the house because they are pretty allergic to cats and they don't want them in the house. Believe me I want them in the house SO very bad, but unfortunately I am not the boss of the house so I can't say, "The cats are going be inside only", I have to obey my parents. I would LOVE to have them in the house, as strickly inside cats only, but unfortunately I don't have control over that.

One of the reasons I have never mentioned our cats before is I was afraid that people would get angry with me, and start saying nasty things to me when i don't have control of whether they are inside or not. Believe me I would LOVE to have them inside, but its a no-win situation for me. :(

My extended family are farm people and they believe that the place whre a dog should be is outside, ESPECIALLY if it has long hair, and I do not agree with them. I have gotten some flax from people about MY dog being in MY house. :mad:

Anyho, I am just saying that I think any animal that a person has they should be INSIDE with them. :)

Kfamr
11-01-2004, 01:22 PM
I really don't agree with it, and that's all i'm going to say. :)

DogLover9501
11-01-2004, 01:25 PM
I really don't like when pets are kept outside.

I do believe that they CAN be happy if they are in a fenced area with alot of room to roam, with a warm place to sleep, and still get to spend lots of time with their owners, I still would never do that to my pets, and its rare(as most outside pets don't get the proper care/attention).

Way too many people get puppies because they are so cute or because their children want them, and then the puppies grow and the children get tired of them and they are tied up outside 24/7, that's what happened with many people in my family.

My cousin has a dog who is tied up all day long and gets to sleep inside, I still don't agree with that because he can't fit into his dog house and his chain is about 2-3 feet long even though they have a huge yard.

So I basically disagree with outside pets 100%.

petslover
11-01-2004, 01:48 PM
Ziggy is a full time outside dog. She loves it. When she is inside she hates it. She goes to the door and just sits there until we let her out. She don't even like to sleep at night indoors. Also another reason Ziggy doesn't get along with our other dogs so we can't trust her inside with our dogs. I have a dog that stays outside full time, but that doesn't make me a bad owner. My dogs are spoiled rotten and are happy as can be. Ziggy is in a fenced in backyard of about 2 acres.

Also, There's a difference in an outside dog and you going outside to play with it, feed it, etc. and with you getting an outside dog going outside to feed it, come back in and never spending anytime with it.

wolfsoul
11-01-2004, 02:20 PM
I think it depends on the dog and the situation.

I see dogs outside without their owners and it makes me sad. Every day on the way to school and on the way back from school I see the cutest little BC pup outside all alone and it makes me sad. I have to wonder what kind of situation would make it alright for a puppy to be left outside all day. Judging from the lack of stimulation in his environment and the breed (and the herding characterstics are written all over this pup!), I'd say that the owner never did the research and when the pup is indoors he's nipping people's heels and chewing on everything. So they leave him outside in rain, snow, or hail (I've seen him in all).

Then again, I also know people whose dogs just don't like to be indoors. My aunt's RB Australian shepherd didn't like the indoors. She liked to lay out in the shade. Plus the indoors was a scary place for her -- she was old and had gone deaf, and the children would often pop out of places and scare her unintentionally. She liked to bury her biscuits in the dirt, and had a hard time doing that indoors. ;)

So I think it is fine as long as the dog gets lots of love and attention and actually enjoys being outside. If the dog is lonely and sad and feels seperated from the family, I just don't think it's right.

K9soul
11-01-2004, 03:14 PM
I agree with others who feel it depends on the situation. Overall and the majority of the time, I feel the dog should be inside, but there are certain situations where it is understandable if he/she lives outside. I'm mostly thinking about dogs here, although we have a family friend who is a farmer and keeps barn cats to keep rodents under control, I do not feel that is wrong as long as they are well cared for and spayed/neutered. They also have 2 pet indoor cats.

I also know that some working dogs, especially dogs that guard livestock, actually live with the livestock because they are to form their main bond with them, that is what makes them so efficient and loyal to "their" herd. These dogs are, I think, generally well cared for, they need to be to do their job.

All of the situations others described I can understand as well. If a dog prefers to be outside, truly loves the outdoors and is unhappy indoors, wouldn't it be rather selfish of me to force it to be indoors? I'd not like it but it but it would be for my own personal wish to have the dog inside with me, I'm glad my two prefer most to be where ever I am at, whether it is indoors or outdoors, and I think a lot of dogs are that way but some are more independent. I'm definitely all for the dog having the OPTION to able to come in, but understand in the case of some working dogs as I mentioned above. Like everyone else here, I absolutely detest seeing a dog live on the end of a chain and forced to be alone with no attention. There is a neighbor near me with a little American Eskimo dog that does this and it breaks my heart.

Miranda_Rae
11-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
I agree with others who feel it depends on the situation. Overall and the majority of the time, I feel the dog should be inside, but there are certain situations where it is understandable if he/she lives outside. I'm mostly thinking about dogs here, although we have a family friend who is a farmer and keeps barn cats to keep rodents under control, I do not feel that is wrong as long as they are well cared for and spayed/neutered. They also have 2 pet indoor cats.

Both of our outside cats are spayed and neutered. :) Again, I would LOVE to have them inside, 100%, but I have no control over that situation. :(

sammy101
11-01-2004, 04:48 PM
I agree with everyone else.If the dog loves being outside,then i dont really mind,as long as they have shelter,food,and they are fixed( and they get lots of love;))
It depends on the situation and the dogs.
i wouldnt keep them out in the winter time,especally somewhere where it gets really cold,and where it snows.

MariaM
11-01-2004, 04:48 PM
Hmmm I don't know where to start. Major is an outside dog. I don't think there's that many here who know the whole, entire story. I do not agree with him being outside, and I'd rather not go into details as I could be here for quite some time.

I take the best care of Major that I can. He's had his shots, is neutered, gets walks regularly, and he gets to go to the farm and run a couple times a week. He gets played with, and he's trained for the most part. He has good shelter and is healthy.

Of course, I'm dying to have him inside. I'm sure he really wants to come in as well. I'm trying my hardest to make that possible, but at the moment, this is how it is going.

I agree it depends on the situation.

However, I'm not saying that keeping Major outside is the right decision. That is out of my control right now, but like I said, I am trying me best.

Uabassoon
11-01-2004, 04:59 PM
I think in certain situations it's ok to have outdoor dogs, but it's not something I would ever do. Growing up my family always had outdoor dogs, I know they were happy but I still wish my family had at least tried to bring them inside. We grew up on a ranch so all of our dogs were strays that people would dump out in the country. They got lots of attention because someone was always outside working on stuff. Overall I think my familys dogs have a good and happy life, much better than where they could have ended up seeing as how most of them were strays. If a dog doesn't seem happy my dad will take it to the shelter so it will have a change at a life it will love. Right now they are down to only 1 dog who we found in a ditch outside of our house. I think my parents have actually tried bringing her in a few times and she's wanted nothing to do with it.

CamCamPup33
11-01-2004, 05:44 PM
I do not agree with it. At all. Of course, letting the dog's out here and there for a few minutes, or for an hour or something is perfectly fine. If the weather is okay, and their's shelter/water and the works. But honestly, if the dog is going to be out their ALL the time, it bothers me.

It bother's me more, when someone's dog is an inside dog ALL the time, then all of a sudden turns into an outside dog overnight, to me it's like your throwing a child out of your house for no apparent reason. Sure some people do have good reasons and good intentions, but then their's some people who dont have good intentions, and they just leave the dog out for the heck of it.

In my opinion, leaving a dog outside says "I have a dog for a watchdog, not really because i love it" IF their's no water/food etc.. But of course like i said before, if theirs food/water/shelter and it is absolutley necessary then you have to do what you have to do.

Recently the house behind me, has been leaving their dog outside. The last time, it was all day, and all night plus all of the next day, and when i came home from school he was already inside. Now as i look out my window, i notice he's out their again, and will probably be there till tomorrow evening. I don't know their story, but i feel bad for him.. It just was pouring rain and still they haven't brought him in. And i have looked for food/water bowls but found nothing. The only shelter they have is a tiny little deck that holds about 3 chairs.

I think some people may say that i shouldn't be saying anything, because Cali (My cat) is an outdoor cat. But thats a different story because she sleeps in the garage at night, she has shelter, food and water, and she roams around as she pleases outside during the day. Of course, it's all up to her whether she wants in or out, but normally she's inside when we leave for school and work.

So back to the original question, im totally against it.

chocolatepuppy
11-01-2004, 06:15 PM
I keep my dogs and cats inside. I believe there are pets kept outside that are well cared for and loved, as well as pets kept inside that aren't cared for and loved. I prefer indoors. :)

ParNone
11-01-2004, 07:14 PM
I think a certain amount of Outside time is really healthy for dogs. I actually have the opposite issue right now of feeling guility that Oz and Gully are spending too much time Inside.

Murph and Maddie use to get to spend time Outside, while I was at work. I always felt that was much more beneficial to them to get to be Outside watching nature, then cooped up Inside all day. Then when I got home, they were happy, happy to spend time Inside with me. They weren't big barkers at all, so it was never an issue.

With Oz and Gully though, they will bark at people milling around the neighborhood and when they bark it's earth shattering loud. Since I'm too afraid of it annoying the neighbors, they only get to be Outside when I'm home and even then if they start barking, they've gotta come back Inside. I go Outside with them and play everyday and some nights we go for a walk around the neighborhood, but there's only so much Outside time I wanna do, especially if the skeeters are bad. So I know they don't get as much as they'd prefer, but I haven't figured out a way around the issue yet.

Par...

Cincy'sMom
11-01-2004, 08:04 PM
In general, I am against it. However, I do feel that it can be the right situation for some dogs...and if the choice to to have an dog that gets love and attention, but lives outside, I think that is much better then living indoors, in a tiny kennel and being ignored, or worse, being PTS.

dogs_4_me
11-01-2004, 08:12 PM
It really depends, if the dog enjoys been outside then I see no harm in it!

Tonya
11-01-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Glacier

Generally, I think dogs should be part of the family. But I know lots of sled dogs who have never seen the inside of building who get more interaction with their owners than some inside dogs. It's just as easy to ignore a dog inside as it is to ignore one outside. I know inside dogs who spend long hours in their crates, even when someone is home.

I agree. I think it depends greatly on the owner's lifestyle. My dad's boxer, Joe, is outside only. But my dad and the family are outside all the time. When I go to visit my dad, 99.9% of the time he's outside. He's got a big tent awning thingy with outdoor heaters, so even in the cold, we're hanging out there. Joe has a nice bed in the garage and a heater, so he's set up nice for the night. I don't think that Joe is mistreated in any way or that he's missing out on anything.

Alot of ranchers love their dogs and spend tons of time with them. At the end of the day, the rancher comes in and goes to bed and the dog stays outside. I suppose the reasoning is because farm dogs are always dirty...I don't know.

But, on the same line, my friend Kim's American Bulldog, Jimmy is neglected in my opinion. He's outside only and she's not much of an outdoor person. She doesn't even have a chair or anything in her backyard, so obviously she doesn't spend much time back there. She walks him daily, but that's not enough interaction in my opinion.

jcsperson
Originally posted by greysandmoregreys
I'm sure this question has been asked many times but I hadn't seen any threads on it so figure I would ask :)

I'm kinda in a toss up about outside only pets. That being dogs, cats, you know the normal house pets.
Heather,

As you probably know I adopted Pumpkin off Kristin's farm. We were a little worried about what kind of pet she'd make because she spent little time in the whelping barn and preferred to stay out in her run in all kinds of weather. Only a heavy downpour would drive her into her stall. We were wondering how she would adapt in the house, but happily she discovered the couch and she was a goner---spoiled instantly. Now I have to lure her outside to get her to relieve herself. She is one funny little greyhound.

(I'll save the Orange County Coursing Society story for another day. Pumpkin's new nickname is "mighty huntress.")

Glacier
Originally posted by jcsperson
Heather,

happily she discovered the couch and she was a goner---spoiled instantly. Now I have to lure her outside to get her to relieve herself. She is one funny little greyhound.

Giggle, my main lead dog is like that. She recently discovered the couch and now I have to harness her up in the house! She still loves to pull once she gets out there, but Pingo is loving life in the house.

Tonya
11-01-2004, 08:27 PM
I have to add, when we were first dealing with Jaden's allergies, I kept the dogs outside only. It is much more difficult to give dogs the attention they need when you have to go outside all the time. I constantly felt guilty like they weren't seeing me enough on the weekdays. It's so much easier to give them the attention when they're by your side. You really have to be an outdoor person in able to fairly have an outdoor dog.

jcsperson
11-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Glacier
Giggle, my main lead dog is like that. She recently discovered the couch and now I have to harness her up in the house! She still loves to pull once she gets out there, but Pingo is loving life in the house.

The best long distance runners eat raw meat, wear fur and sleep in the snow!

I love your signature! Maybe I should have one that reads:

"The best sprinters eat raw meat, wear a little fur and sleep on shredded paper!"

Kona & Oreo's mom
11-01-2004, 08:39 PM
I do not believe that one situation is the only good situation for every animal. Outside, inside, and combo--there are many ways that these can be good and many ways they can be bad. Without knowing the specific circumstances, I try not to judge. Some things are just not cut and dry.

Becki
11-01-2004, 09:07 PM
Personally, I can't see having an outside only pet. I feel there is a time and a place for both outside and inside pets, though, and the needs of the animal need to be.

Karen
11-01-2004, 09:22 PM
I think if it is the animals' preference, and all efforts that have been made to try to make her/him feel comfortable in the house have been to no avail, like some of the dogs you mentioned, then that's fine. My cousin's Border Collie mix was one of those. She would willingly come inside to eat, and to make sure all her people were okay, but then she wanted OUT! How else could she check on all the other critters under her care? After all, every living creature - the pigs, chickens, even random squirrels who stopped by - NEED to be monitored every few seconds, right? YOU try convincing a determined Border Collie otherwise! ;) She was a great dog, and I am sure is keeping everyone at the Rainbow Bridge herded into their correct spots.

But, like everyone else, "outside only" dogs that are neglected and would rather be WITH their people I find heartbreaking.

Phoebe
11-01-2004, 09:29 PM
As long as the dog is not neglected..not just left outside and forgotten..it is ok if that is what that particular dog prefers. I HATE to see dogs in pens all the time or worse yet on those running chains..that stinks! I knew someone who had a chow chow and it was NEVER off that darn chain..and it was reported and they said they were not breaking any laws!! Aghhh...that poor dog was so sad looking all the time. He has long since gone on to RB where he can be carefree and have all the running time he wants..

They also should be brought in when its cold or given a good house and hay or something to stay warm/dry and have plenty of water at all times.

Gracie loves to be outside and she is out a lot but we are out with her in the back yard..shr races all over the yard and we play ball and frisbee..but she is definately an indoor kinda girl..she wouldn't want to be out there if we were not with her. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/pamelagraves/pamela2strip.gif

wolf_Q
11-01-2004, 09:59 PM
My best friends dogs are kept outside only. I know that they are well taken care of, they are spayed/neutered, get let out to play at least 2-3 times a day, taken for walks, etc. They are extremely well loved, I know she loves her dogs just as much as I love my dogs. I still have a really hard time with it. Especially in the winter when it is all wet and cold...they both have short coats too. I often think about them sleeping out there on cold winter nights. If it were her choice they would be inside (at least at night) but her parents are NOT pet people and they will not allow any animal in the house. :(

I would NEVER keep a dog outside only. Even if they dog has a coat where they are ok in the cold (like Nebo) I feel that dogs should be able to come in the house and be part of the family. Nebo loves to be outside, he's constantly wanting out. Usually he just lays in the grass and looks around, I know he really enjoys it. However, normally if he's been out for more than 15 minutes he's on the deck waiting for the door to open...and any longer than that he's scratching at the door!

It doesn't bother me to leave dogs outside (in a secure fenced area, NOT tied up) while you are gone to work, etc. as long as they are allowed to come in and out when you are home or at least sleep inside. I haven't used it in months but I do have a dog run that I have left Nebo in while I was at work. I know he would just love to have free roam of the backyard but I don't think the fence is secure enough.

I've seen many extremely matted and neglected dogs where I work, and the majority of them have been outside only dogs. A while ago a guy brought in 2 filthy, matted king charles spaniels (which I believe were bred to be companion dogs) with extension cords as leashes. The groomer had to use a surgical blade to shave the 5 inch thick matts of their ears. It's cases like that where I have to wonder WHY people get dogs...what, as a lawn ornament maybe? I am NOT by any means saying that everyone who keeps their dogs outside only neglects them...just that most of the neglected dogs I have seen have been outside only.

As far as cats go I do not agree with outside only cats. The same friend that has the outside dogs also has an outside cat...he hasn't been seen in months, he is probably at the RB now. When he did come to the house (in the garage), it was just every now and then and he was always covered in cuts and scraps, most likely from fights with other cats. I understand when the cat is born feral and can't be house tamed, but he was not born that way...he actually used to be allowed in the house before they moved. For me it's like why bother getting a pet when you treat it like a wild animal.

I also don't like inside/outside cats. I couldn't handle not knowing where my cat was at all times, not knowing what dangers they could be in. I don't care where you live, it's still dangerous to allow your pet to roam freely IMO. Now if you have a secure enclosed outside area for the cats or you take them out on a harness I think that is fine. If I were ever able to get cats they would be strictly inside only.

This is all just my opinion and if you don't agree with it, I don't care. :) And just for the record I understand situations that you have no control over (such as your parents not allowing pets in the house).

Glacier
11-01-2004, 10:02 PM

"The best sprinters eat raw meat, wear a little fur and sleep on shredded paper!"

LOL! That's cute. I stole mine from an old Alaskan Airlines commercial!

bckrazy
11-02-2004, 12:31 AM
I do not agree with anyone who says they have an "outside dog". Dogs are pack animals instinctively, they want to be with their family inside... to deny them of that is horrible :mad: but what can you do? People are cruel, and stupid. I'd like every person who forces their dog to sleep out in the cold and snow to try sleeping a night out there (even with a fur coat on...:rolleyes: ), or try spending a day in a cage alone. with some people (like Glacier), who have working dogs, it is completely understandable. But people who just leave their dogs in the backyard alone all day and night, need to be shot

My dogs have always been, and will always be a part of the family, and therefore "indoor dogs". Gonzo has the option of going in or out with his dog door, and 90% of the day he is inside with his people ^^

guster girl
11-02-2004, 01:52 AM

Ha ha, I like her signature, too, and, you should make yours read that. Just to be a copycat, I'll make mine say "the best pals eat raw meat, shed like crazy, and, sleep on the couch", cuz that's my Finn! ;)

cyber-sibes
11-02-2004, 07:47 AM
It depends on the situation - What about the poor house dog thats crated all day waiting for its owner? I think "alone" is tough on the dog, whether it's inside or out. I hate hearing people say their dog is "crate-trained" - how would you like to be confined for hours at a time where you can't stretch or walk around or go to the bathroom?
I see the real issue as proper care -and uncared for , whether in or out, is the worst! I too hate seeing a dog that always tied on a chain or confined to a little square kennel.

My sibes happily live outside 24/7. they have a huge area fenced inbetween several buildings they have access to. They sleep in a greenhouse in the winter - they get incredibly warm and then run out to roll around in the snow--(could this be doggie sauna?) They go to the dogpark to run everyday and we take walks on our 4 acres. Huskies love to dig, so their kennel has lots of grass and open ground for digging dens - they have favorite pits all over the yard. They are well cared for and loved deeply.
I work from home and bring them in ocasionally - they love to nap inside - but as soon as they're awake, they want OUT!

When I was trying to get a second dog, I inquired about huskies that were rescued and recived a couple really nasty notes from people who think keeping a dog outside disqualifies you from being a good owner - I think they don't understand this breed. (These were on petfinder, not huskie rescue sites, who DO understand) However, if I lived in the south, no way I'd have huskies outdoors in constant heat. You have to do what's best for the nature of the breed.

Buddy Blaze Lover
11-02-2004, 12:20 PM
It depends on what kind of dog you have!! For smaller dogs who NEED to be inside, I think it's essential that they be indoor. If they're large dogs, and want to be outside, need excercise, destroy the house, etc...I think they should be outdoor. Blaze is a mostly outdoor dog since my parents don't want to clean house all the time, and have him scratch the floor with his toenails. Blaze also HATES being cooped up, so whenever he comes inside, he looks for trouble and feels cooped up, so being outside is a good thing for him. With ALLL that energy, he'd ruin the entire house being the dog he is!!;) (ha) Still, I always bring him in during bad weather, etc. He's just a natural outdoor dog!:D

petslover
11-02-2004, 02:49 PM
I don't agree with crates either.

PJ's Mom
11-02-2004, 02:57 PM
I don't understand people who get a pet only to leave it outside all the time. Why bother? :eek:

petslover
11-02-2004, 03:13 PM
My dog is outside all the time, and I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't mistreat her and play with her all the time. I don't consider myself a bad dog owner at all.

aly
11-02-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by cyber-sibes
I hate hearing people say their dog is "crate-trained" - how would you like to be confined for hours at a time where you can't stretch or walk around or go to the bathroom?

I work in rescue (with all of those "evil" groups/shelters who deny people that want outdoor only dogs). Crate training is a wonderful tool if it is used correctly, ESPECIALLY for our rescue dogs. Of course it can be misused - like when people throw the dogs in for too long or use it as punishment. I can't even begin to tell you how many dogs crate training has saved. Sometimes people are on the verge of throwing their dog into a shelter because of a problem they can't handle. Crating has solved a lot of these problems. It gives the dog a safe place to be when you can't supervise. It still allows them to be inside and part of the family, but prevents them from getting into trouble.

I have crate trained both of my own dogs and crate train all of my fosters. With my own dogs, they were each crated when I was gone for about the first month. When I knew they could safely have the run of the house with no one home, I didn't crate them anymore. They stay at home inside with free roam whenever I leave and they couldn't be happier. I think they would fall over dead if they had to be left outside by themselves.

My current foster LOVES her crate because I make it such a positive place to be. When I leave the door open, she runs in there on her own and often takes naps in it because it is so comfortable. It is definately her little "den".

When I first heard about crate training and saw people who used it the wrong way, I was 100% against it. I read up on it and educated myself though and now I am completely for it if used the right way. It has no doubt saved many a dog's life. Dogs that escape the yard, are destructive indoors, get into the trash, etc etc etc are completely safe in the crate.

I've made numerous posts about the right way to crate train if you want to search for them. I have a headache right now but will do it later if you are interested at all.

I know this is going off the topic of the thread, but since it was mentioned in a negative way, I felt the need to speak up :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-02-2004, 03:26 PM
I hate hearing people say their dog is "crate-trained" - how would you like to be confined for hours at a time where you can't stretch or walk around or go to the bathroom?

All of my dogs are crate trained, I don't leave them in a crate for a long period of time but it really helped alot oneday when a cat came into my house:) My dogs LOVE their crates! They go in it all the time to chew their bones, sleep, get away from annoying guests:D Tango's sleeping in hers right now, it's usually their own choice on whether or not they want to go in. I never use the crate for punishing them though.

Kfamr
11-02-2004, 03:28 PM
I believe crate training is a lot safer than keeping a dog outside 24/7 as long as the crate is safe and you train correctly. All three of my dogs are crate-trained. Although Simba and Nala have free roam of the house while we're gone, Kiara is confined in her cage for HER and our property's safety. She is only around 7 months old, and although I'm almost positive she'd be fine, i'd rather her be in a cage then be able to chew something she's not supposed to while i'm gone.
Of course, she isn't kept there for more than a few hours.

Keeping your dog outside is basically letting anyone and anything have access to him/her. Any person could throw something in your yard, could release your dog, or your dog could even dig under/jump the fence. Those are only a few of the dangers of keeping your dog outside.

Simba would LOVE to stay out all day if we let him, little kids would also LOVE to stay out and play in the dirt all day, but their parents don't allow them, nor will I allow my dog. And it's for their safety.

I despise seeing cats loose in our neighborhood.

petslover
11-02-2004, 03:38 PM
I have an outside dog. I see nothing wrong with it. Everyone can't access my dogs at all. I disagree with that. Ziggy stays in a fence that is locked and noone can get around her. So no they can't throw stuff at her. She gets plenty of exercise while she is outside. So personally I see nothing wrong with it.

chocolatepuppy
11-02-2004, 03:41 PM
For those who are against crates, I crate my dogs when no one is home with them. Actually Lacey has a room of her own and Mandy has a big crate. My Lacey will scratch on my windows(they are real glass) if she sees an animal outside. That would be nice to come home to her bleeding to death. Train her, sure and what if she decides to do it anyway when I'm not home. She is also a chewer(although she's four) So who knows what she might eat while we're not home. Mandy has a bad heart and surely would have died by now if she had free run of the house.Too much goes on outside all day when we're not home. Mandy is not fixed because of her heart and once and awhile goes off on Lacey,don't want to come home to that either.
My dogs willingly go to their crate/room sometimes just to get away from things, they feel safe there. While my husband and I both work dayturn, we don't work the same hours or even always the same days, so it's not a long day or a long week for my dogs.They are used to sleeping most of the day anyway and try to when we're off. They have constant attention when we are home and we are both homebodies so not many evenings out. I love and take good care of my dogs and won't be made to feel like I don't because we have to work. Let me also add, it's a good thing Lacey is 'room' trained after just having two surgeries on her leg and she's not suppose to run around!

micki76
11-02-2004, 07:34 PM
I agree with Aly that crate training can be wonderful thing if used properly. We crate trained Chester from puppyhood, and he loves the crate and goes in happily. He no longer needs the crate (he can be trusted in the house) but his crate training paid off in a HUGE way when he had surgery and had to be confined per the vets orders for a long period. Our last foster Abby, had to be confined per vets orders for a very long time (months) and was never crate trained prior to staying with us. That was a LONG nightmare for all of us, but mostly her. :(

I can’t tell you how much crate training has benefitted Chester. He rides in the car in a crate as well, and loves it. We have to spell C R A T E or he goes bananas, cause he likes his so much.

Millie tolerates the crate, but she doesn’t love it like Chester does.

Phoebe
11-02-2004, 07:46 PM
I also am crate training Gracie and I have printed off every thing I could find on crate training as well as talked to my vet and I am doing it exactly by the book and it has been wonderful. I come home a full hour for lunch to let gracie out and we play the whole time. She views it as her den and she has a lambswool pillow and one toy in it. She will even go in it when she doesnt have to just to check it out sometimes. Its a pleasant atmosphere. I would never put her in it for punishment. It is strictly for training purposes when she can not be supervised by one of us. If we are home she is never in it. Personally I don't like puppy pads...and won't use them. So this has been the best tool for us. She has never balked at going in, she doesn't cry and I don't think she minds it at all. She is secure, and she is not in it for more than 4 hours at a time since I am only 4 min from work and can come home mid day to take her out that hour. If I have to be gone all day which so far has only happened twice, then I put her on the patio which is inclosed and we have puppy proofed..and leave the door open for her to go out if she needs to. I even put the crate out there so she can go in it if she wants to for added security if she gets overwhelmed by the big open space and no one there. So all in all, I would say crate training is the way to go for us~and I sure don't see one bit of cruelty in it in any way..http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/pamelagraves/pamela2strip.gif

wolf_Q
11-02-2004, 07:54 PM
I have to chime in also about crate training. It is not cruel at all if done properly in my opinion. All of my dogs have been crate trained since puppies.

Nebo absolutely loves his crate, it is his den. My mom works at a school so she has the summer off. So all of the dogs would be loose in the house during the day while I was at work. She told me that Nebo spent the majority of the day in his crate, on his own free will. He would go down there to chew his kong or just sleep. He only came out when he wanted outside.

Since she is now at work and I am too he is in a crate while we are gone (we tried the free roam of the house thing, he did great for about a week then he made a huge mess...I would have given him many more chances, but it's my parents house and therefore not my choice). Every morning he sees me stuffing his kong with goodies and he goes right into his crate, he does not protest at all. I just make sure I let him out twice to potty before I leave and I always go into the backyard and exercise him as well. When I come home he's always peacefully laying there, usually asleep. What do you think your dog does in the yard or in your house while you are gone? I bet the majority of dogs spend most of the time sleeping.

I do of course understand there are instances where crates are misused, but you can't claim that crate training is cruel because of those instances.

Also from working at a grooming salon (and I bet those who have worked at vet offices will agree) crate training greatly helps dogs when they must stay away from their owners. If they are used to being in a crate they are less stressed when placed in one. It is not a struggle to get them in, nor do they bark or hurt their paws scratching at the door. They are more calm and so are the people who work there.

I do not and will never agree to 100% outdoor dogs but I will leave it at that.

petslover
11-02-2004, 08:09 PM
I have a question. If the dog is happy outside would you really keep it inside where its not happy? Thats what I don't understand.

Kfamr
11-02-2004, 08:11 PM
Since i'm very paranoid for it's safety, Yes.

chocolatepuppy
11-02-2004, 08:19 PM
petslover, If you feel your dog is safe outside then that's great. But for me there is no way! There was an incident in the next town a few years ago where a lady had left her two goldens out and when she came home found that someone had used them both for target practice with bows and arrows, they were both dead. And what about someone stealing a dog or poisoning it? No way.
I feel a dog is like an eternal two year old, it needs your protection. Whatever you do with your dog is your business, I do not judge people, if you're happy with the situation and feel it is safe, that's great. :)

Fox-Gal
11-02-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by petslover
I have a question. If the dog is happy outside would you really keep it inside where its not happy? Thats what I don't understand.

I have to say that even through I have a outside dog, I can understand why most, like Kay and others keeps their dogs in, even if maybe they like outside better. If I lived in a town/neighborhood, my outside dog would be inside too, even if it meant him going into a panic. I'm lucky, for Odie's sake, we live so far out, down a long dirt road, with nobody (except 1) around us, fenced in etc etc.. I can feel safe with Odie outside. Most people can't feel that safe in their area. So their dog should be inside.

Just like my cats, they go outside/inside here, but I would never adopt out any of my rescues to anyone who's going to let them out. Different places call for different rules.

chocolatepuppy
11-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Fox-Gal
I have to say that even through I have a outside dog, I can understand why most, like Kay and others keeps their dogs in, even if maybe they like outside better. If I lived in a town/neighborhood, my outside dog would be inside too, even if it meant him going into a panic. I'm lucky, for Odie's sake, we live so far out, down a long dirt road, with nobody (except 1) around us, fenced in etc etc.. I can feel safe with Odie outside. Most people can't feel that safe in their area. So their dog should be inside.

Just like my cats, they go outside/inside here, but I would never adopt out any of my rescues to anyone who's going to let them out. Different places call for different rules.

Good point Fox-Gal

cyber-sibes
11-02-2004, 10:07 PM
We live out in the country, too. The only nearby neighbor loves our dogs as much as we do and visits them all the time. There are no access roads, driveways, or paths to the kennel, which is out of sight of the road.
I brought up the crate-thing because to me it's like the outdoor dog question -- there is no set right or wrong, it depends on your perspective and experience. Do what works for YOU and YOUR dogs so you are happy and they are too.

greysandmoregreys
11-03-2004, 10:49 AM
There's an old saying with horses "different courses for different horses"

Some dogs are misserable inside some dogs are misserable outside. Whatever works for the dogs and humans is what I say. Who am I to judge something I know nothing about.

I hate to see dogs tied out just like everyone on this board. I"m talking about the dogs tied at the furthest corner of the yard, where there is no human interaction at all.

I do want to say one thing about having outside dogs and people could come by and throw something in the yard, or open the gate.

It can happen to inside dogs as well. I had my house broken into years ago. My dogs would be outside in a big "pen" and I use that term loosely. It was like 1/2 an acre fenced in with huge dog huts. You could fit 4 dogs in one hut, that had two doors that could close and lock and filled with hay.

Anyway my home was broken into and the front door was kicked in. The robbers were not nice enough to put the door back up. If my dogs were in the house at that time 1) the robbers may have hurt my dogs.
2) My dogs would have run out that front door and who knows where they would have been when I got home.

I was so happy that day that my dogs were out in there pen safe and sound away from the robbers. Now maybe if they were in the house the robbers would have never broke into my house but if they did what would have happened to my dogs?

So I feel that outside dogs are fine as long as they are well cared for, loved, and concered part of the family :)

K9soul
11-03-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by petslover

Again, it would depend on the situation. If the dog had always been outside before, it might just need a chance to get used to being inside, and I would definitely try to work with the dog to get it to be comfortable indoors. However, if no matter how much and how hard we worked on it the dog was still miserable inside, I would concede and let it be outside, but do anything and everything I could to make sure it was safe and comfortable. If it came down to the dog having a 24/7 miserable quality of life because it was trapped indoors, that would override the risks in setting up an outdoor living place for it. In that case, in my mind it would be preferable that there be a small risk of something happening outside than the dog living a miserable life inside.

When I was growing up and Mom worked and I went to school, the collies had to stay outside during the day while we were gone. That was the rule. We built a long kennel run with doghouse etc within the already fenced yard so that no one could bother them without climbing 2 fences.

Things are not always black and white, yes or no, bad or good. You can't just make blank statements like "you're a bad owner if you use crates" or "you're a bad owner if you leave your dogs outside" and have them be accurate in every single case. I believe that very strongly.

PJ's Mom
11-03-2004, 11:07 AM
My dogs are inside dogs. Always have been, always will be. I do however believe that they should be able to go outside whenever they want, so they have a doggie door to come and go as they please. Bailey loves to lay in the sun for hours at a time, and I could never deprive her of that. :)

Miranda_Rae
11-03-2004, 11:18 AM
It depends on the situation - What about the poor house dog thats crated all day waiting for its owner? I think "alone" is tough on the dog, whether it's inside or out. I hate hearing people say their dog is "crate-trained" - how would you like to be confined for hours at a time where you can't stretch or walk around or go to the bathroom?

Heidi is crate trained. I crate trained her for potty reasons, and because it is a lot safer for her (and for my house :o), because when she was a puppy she could have chewed on things that weren't good for her, etc. Also, she feels secure and happy in her crate. How do I know? I sometimes have a very hard time getting her to come out of her crate! Sometimes I have to drag her out of her crate, and then she will go right back in. :rolleyes: And she isn't in there ALL day....I am home with her practically all day, as I am homeschooled and she is out of her crate most of the time. :) Sometimes Heidi needs some "alone" time because she is ALWAYS being petted and cuddled when she is out of her crate. She has a x-large crate so she has room to turn, stretch, etc. She loves her crate, though, and even if she could be trusted in the house (which she can't be, not yet anyway) I don't think I would take it away from her because she likes its alot. :)

cali
11-03-2004, 11:39 AM
I know Shadow was orginanly an outdoor dog, only because my dad got her when the rest of the family was in BC, and he was not sure my mom wanted a dog in the house, shadow however went to work with my dad every day, he had built her a dog house etc.. when we cam back my mom said shadow would be an inside dog, however she slept chained to the backdoor(just inside the door) only later did she start to become a completly fully indoor dog, BUT she STILL loves to be outside, she does not make a racket, if someone opens to the gate to let her out she wanders next door, then comes back to the yard. at her new home she spends a lot of time outside still, but they also have an 8 foot privacy fence. an indident we had at one point though was some kid tried to shoot shadow with a bow an arrow this was at out old house, she was a fully inside dog at the time, things can happen outside dog or not. my friends old dog sparky was an outside only dog, they insisted that sparky liked being outside... uhh yeah, and thats why he tried to come in the house any chance he could get, and they had to force him to go back outside again :rolleyes: shadow is an inside dog there but she askes to go out, and they have to force her to come IN. none of my current dogs lik ebeing outside for long periods, actually they hate it lol Happy is not a happy camper when she is indoors, but she only likes being outside if I am with her, if I am not with her she will go out, potty and come right back in. Misty likes being outside for the sole purpose of barking lol we dont allow that the rule is you bark you come in, like it or not. on the topic of crate training, well all my dogs are crate trained and even perky who absolutly hated crates has started going in them, half the time you cant get that dog out of a crate anymore. Happy is the only one who is not crated while we are away, but she goes in her crate anyway, doors open the whole time. we dont have a problem getting the dogs crated we have a problem getting the dogs to go in the RIGHT crates lol I say crate happy and misty run into the same kennel, or misty runs into blairs kennel, or perky runs into Ripleys kennel then Ripley tried to go into his kennel... lol we have acually locked 2 dogs in the smae crate by mistake before, Misty will goe in Ripleys crate(even though its half her size lol) and Ripley happens to be curled up in the same crate in front of misty so you just close the dorr not realizing misty in there lol then you come home to see 2 sets of eyes in the same crate lol