PDA

View Full Version : Who can have pets?

Who
10-31-2004, 10:54 PM
HI

I was just wondering what ya'll think.
Do you think that anyone can have pets? or do you think people should only have pets if they have an "Emergancy Fund".

NoahsMommy
10-31-2004, 11:58 PM
I don't know if you have to have a specific fund, but at least a way to get $$ if something were to happen. Its only fair to that animal as they depend solely on whomever adopts them.

CathyBogart
11-01-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
I don't know if you have to have a specific fund, but at least a way to get $$ if something were to happen. Its only fair to that animal as they depend solely on whomever adopts them.

I agree completely

catmandu
11-01-2004, 09:15 AM
That ias an excellent question,as so many people,are unable,to get little better,thanpart time work,and are living,fro Pay Cheque to Pay Cheque! As accidents,and illness,can snaek,up on Pet Guardians,you have have something stasheed way,but that can be hard,now , these days!

K9soul
11-01-2004, 09:52 AM
It depends. I think it is definitely best if people try to make sure they are able to handle medical care that may arise before they get a pet, I think it is most important to make sure you can get any immunizations and spay/neuter done if it is something that the pet needs.

However, there are circumstances that may differ from case to case. For example, I went through a really rough time financially when I had my collies. I had gotten them in more stable times, and a few years later hit on some tougher days. I loved them with all my heart and there was no way I would rehome them because I was having money trouble. I myself wore old clothes and alotted my food carefully in order to keep them fed, but if something big had happened, I don't know how I could have paid for it. I had a very good vet though and when some care had to be done and I couldn't pay for it, he let me make payments, and a couple of times waived the office fees. He just gave me a tube of prescription ointment free when Willie had an outer ear infection. I am very blessed to have a truly caring and compassionate vet.

So to me it depends on the situation, but I definitely think when planning to add another pet to the home, it is best to make sure you can provide for all his/her needs, but you can't always plan for every unforeseen circumstance.

Who
11-01-2004, 01:52 PM
The reason I did this was because my sister does an online PreVet Tech class, and one the questions was what I asked you, Well some of the answers of the people in that class were alittle mean if you ask me. I mean My family does not have alot of money and we have quite a few animals, Mine are my best friends. My question to those out there who voted "NO" on the Poll is this, Would you Deny those who may not have much money and not many or no friends, the friend that would stay with them and love them no matter what there finacial status is? I don't have friends, people hardly ever talk to me so my best friends are my dog, cat and horse, Do I have money for an emergancy? No. Do I love them any less? No.
Would I get rid of them? No.
I m not trying make anyone feel bad or anything, I am just trying to get people to think.

LW_Aussies4me
11-01-2004, 02:40 PM
I think this kind of question would vary case by case...

Being a young adult trying to start a life for myself money is often in short supply and things are almost always tight around here; if an emergency came up would I have an emergency fund for it? No, honestly I would not. Would that pet get immediate emergency care YES! There is nothing that would stop me from getting them taken care of. We are lucky here that we are in a smaller area and I am very close with the vets here; both will allow me in the event of an emergency to come on in with the dog/cat/bird and get it taken care of they know from us coming in over the past many years that we will always pay them in a timely manner; and it has never been a problem. Luckily though we've only had afew emergencies, so we are fortunate in that.

Our dogs aren't "spoiled rotten" they don't have hundreds of treats, or toys or collars for every occasion but they certainly never go without anything either, whatever they need they get. The animals come first; that's the way I was raised I can take care of myself they rely on me to take care of them. If you can't make a commit to them and properly take care of them you shouldn't have them. IMO

ConnorsGirlr0938
11-01-2004, 04:11 PM
i agree with NoahsMommy

ILoveReptiles
11-02-2004, 08:50 AM
I firmly believe that not everyone should be able to have a pet, unless they are fully aware of the responsibilities and can get the cash to take care of the animal as it deserves to be taken care of.

manda_moo87
11-02-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by ILoveReptiles
I firmly believe that not everyone should be able to have a pet, unless they are fully aware of the responsibilities and can get the cash to take care of the animal as it deserves to be taken care of.

That goes for me too... :p

cali
11-02-2004, 10:30 AM
well if I said no I would be a hypocrite lol I have 24 furrys and 7 fish currently, and we are on welfare. do we have money for an emerency? not even close. do the animals go to the vet and get any required treatment if the need be? sure do. Happy got x-rays, and antibiotics that she needed when she she broke her toenal and it got infected. however we are also very self sufficiant, we dont run to the vet at every little thing, we research it ourselves and only go to the vet if its absolutly nessisary, which does not happen often. when the dogs got KC we gave them cough syrup, and we gave then extra Vit.C till they were all better. when Happy got an eye infection margo gave us eye drops for her until we were able to get some ourselves. when Happy broke her toe nail we pulled it out ourselves. we dont go running to the vet for every little thing, and our pets have never suffered from it. however I think if a person does not have the money for a vet, AND does not have a clue how to treat anything themselves, then they should not have a lot of pets.

Who
11-02-2004, 11:04 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cali
[B] however we are also very self sufficiant, we dont run to the vet at every little thing, we research it ourselves and only go to the vet if its absolutly nessisary, which does not happen often. we dont go running to the vet for every little thing, and our pets have never suffered from it.

Us too

petslover
11-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Same here Cali.

wolfie
11-02-2004, 06:32 PM
How much money is an emergency? $100? $500? $2000? Unless you're a millionare, you can't be prepared for everything that might come up.

I think that everyone can have pets. Some pet owners don't have lots of money, but love and care for their animals just as much as anyone else. And, as cali said, you can treat many things by yourself, without harming your pets (as long as you know what your doing).