PDA

View Full Version : I need advice :(

DogLover9501
10-30-2004, 07:25 PM
I need alot of advice about this...

I wanted to take some pictures of Tigger, so I called him in from outside...

I seen him running over from across the road and when he got across a car zoomed out the road...

It got me thinking alot :(

Is there anyway to keep him inside after 7 years?? He stays inside most of the time all winter, and always sleeps inside too.

He never used to leave the yard.

I love how Emma doesn't even bother with outside, she doesn't even care about looking out the window.

It just seems impossible to keep my big guy inside all the time, he REALLY enjoys outside, especially in the summer time.

Is there a way to teach him to stay off the road? :(

Thanks

Uabassoon
10-30-2004, 07:29 PM
Maybe you could try taking him outside on a harness. There really isn't any way to "train" a cat to stay off the road.

DogLover9501
10-30-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
Maybe you could try taking him outside on a harness. There really isn't any way to "train" a cat to stay off the road.

:eek: Would a harness even fit him?? I know that no cat collars do, and he's bigger than my small dogs!

sirrahbed
10-30-2004, 07:46 PM
Robyn, there is a walking jacket type harness that would probably fit Tigger since it comes in a large size for cats 17 pounds and up. You can look at it here. (http://www.hdw-inc.com/walkingjackets.htm) It is the type used by Eddie, Edwina and Julie (nibblets)

catcrazylady (Lisa) has some cats that used to be outdoor and she has pretty much weaned then to indoors and may have some ideas for you :)

DogLover9501
10-30-2004, 07:50 PM
Thanks Debbie! Those walking jackets look great, Im not sure if we have anything like that around here, though.

cubby31682
10-30-2004, 11:27 PM
I would really look into one of those walking jackets for him. If that doesn't work I don't know of anything else.

On a sidenote, growing up we had a cat that would sit on the curb and watch both ways. If he seen a car at the corner on the other side of the road or a car getting ready to turn he would sit and wait. When it was all clear all ways then he would run across. We had to sadly put him to sleep after he started attacking my mom and me. :(

Obpp
10-30-2004, 11:54 PM
There's a radio show locally here in the mornings about petcare with a veteranarian...he has recommended an invisible fence in situations like these. Of course, it requires that the pet wear a collar and he never really says how much the fence costs...

To the best of my knowledge there's no real way to train a cat to stay in a certain area. I've lost a couple like that, though, and none of mine are outdoor cats now...

cloverfdx
10-31-2004, 12:22 AM
Just an idea, have you thought about making a cat run for Tigger (And then Emma could enjoy the outdoors aswell). All you would need is a frame of some sort, and either some wire or cloth mesh. I am going to build one for Yumi, because i have the same fears as you.

I will try and find some pics and post them for you. :)

DogLover9501
10-31-2004, 12:53 AM
That sounds like a neat idea, Rhiannon! I'd love to find out more about that.

Tigger might still be mad, however :rolleyes:, as his favorite part of being outside is catching the mice and shrews and all of that stuff....a real hunter ;) :p

kt_luvs_kitties
10-31-2004, 12:57 AM
That stayed outside almost always. But when her situation turned bad *too many loose dogs roaming around* she had to keep her cat indoors, with no more outside privledges. It was tough for the first week or so, but she grew accustom to being indoor only. And never tried to get outside again.
I am sure with it becoming colder outside, it is the very best time to try to keep him dwelling indoors. Because cats dont seem to like the colder weather, and will be inside more anyways. I would just not let back outside, no matter how many whimpers he tries to make;)
PS> my mom bought a rabbit harness from petsmart, and she uses it for her "fluffy" cat, because it fits better than the kitty ones. Maybe you could try to get one of those, instead of a kitty harness. *I also think they are cheaper for the rabbit ones* Hope this helps:D

cloverfdx
10-31-2004, 12:59 AM
Yep i think they are a great idea, and cannot wait to get started on Yumis run (And i will be getting another cat when the cat run is finished ;) ).
I am just looking at a few different runs now.

http://www.cat-world.com.au/CatRun7.jpg
This one is made out of Cricket/ Sports netting with a pine frame.

http://www.cat-world.com.au/AJEnclosure3.jpg
This one is wire mesh and a pine frame.

http://www.siamesecats.tv/build/th_catrun9.jpg

http://www.siamesecats.tv/catcare.php
If you go to luxuries and click on cat run, the instructions should tell you everything you need to know.

Kirsten
10-31-2004, 04:34 AM
I think, since Tigger does stay inside during the winter already, you may have good chances to train him to be indoors only. At least I think it's worth a try - just too many dangers outside...

Kirsten

PayItForward
10-31-2004, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by Kirsten
I think, since Tigger does stay inside during the winter already, you may have good chances to train him to be indoors only. At least I think it's worth a try - just too many dangers outside...

Kirsten
Majority of inside/outside cats choose to stay inside during winter, as it is cold and wet out there. But summer is when cats want/need to be outside.

What about fence toppers, in that way your cat can have some freedom while being restricted to your garden ?

DogLover9501
10-31-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by PayItForward
What about fence toppers, in that way your cat can have some freedom while being restricted to your garden ?

Well our backyard is fenced(for the dogs), but Jasper chases and bugs Tigger sometimes, so I'm not sure if that would work, definatly something to think about though!

boscibo
10-31-2004, 08:16 AM
Bo was an indoor/outdoor cat, and I successfully turned him into an indoor-only cat. It was rough, but don't give in! He will probably beg and beg to go out, but leave the room when he does that. I retrained Bo when I moved from the country into town, he had to become an indoor cat. He never begs to go out anymore, and he is much safer indoors. You have a great opportunity with winter coming, as others have said. The main thing is to not give in when he wants to go out. I decided to not do the harness thing with him, I thought that would just lead to him wanting and begging to go out again. Bo does this *rear up on his hind legs and scratch furiously on the door* thing when he wants a door opened, and I wanted to discourage that.
Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that it is possible to turn an indoor/outdoor kitty into indoor-only. It just takes a strong committment on your part.

DogLover9501
10-31-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by boscibo
Bo was an indoor/outdoor cat, and I successfully turned him into an indoor-only cat. It was rough, but don't give in! He will probably beg and beg to go out, but leave the room when he does that. I retrained Bo when I moved from the country into town, he had to become an indoor cat. He never begs to go out anymore, and he is much safer indoors. You have a great opportunity with winter coming, as others have said. The main thing is to not give in when he wants to go out. I decided to not do the harness thing with him, I thought that would just lead to him wanting and begging to go out again. Bo does this *rear up on his hind legs and scratch furiously on the door* thing when he wants a door opened, and I wanted to discourage that.
Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that it is possible to turn an indoor/outdoor kitty into indoor-only. It just takes a strong committment on your part.

I know that *I* could turn him into an indoor cat, BUT the problem is my parents, and Tigger is very nawtee ;)

He will bang on windows, tear up screens...etc, trying to tell us he wants to go out, he will then go upstairs and run around and do the same, and bug my grandparents and sometimes its at night when they are asleep.

But the problem is, either my parents OR my grandparents WILL give in to him, so it makes it alot harder :(

I know how much more safe he'll be, I just wish I was old enough to know that when we first got him ;)