PDA

View Full Version : Sure enough...

Tonya
10-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Why do I always learn things the hard way? I have heard people say time and time again to test your cats for a UTI right away if you see an accident. I'd never had a cat with a UTI, so I assumed it was the move and the new house. I just talked to the vet, Ron has a UTI. I feel like such a bad mom for not taking him sooner. :(

catfamily
10-30-2004, 12:36 PM
I hope they got it time so he doesn't need special food for life.Or worse an expensive operation,then special food for life.Their harder to place.I see so many cats at shelters for too long because the sign on the cage says"needs special food for life or will get UTI again".So many many cats get that.I had 2 that had it.They should remove the awful food from the regular super markets off the shelves.Most are bad for UTI'S.Except for Iams I think.I'm not sure what else is good there.I learned my lesson the hard way.Poor kitty's and cats have it rough with all the problems they so easily can get just from reg. cat food.

catfamily
10-30-2004, 12:39 PM
Stress also brings it on too.So it isn't anything you did wrong.They are just so darn sensitive.

Tonya
10-30-2004, 12:51 PM
You know, when we first moved, I ran out of cat food. I've always used the same brand, but I ran out in the middle of the night and grabbed a small bag of cheap off brand food. I fed that to them for a few days until I got to the store for their regular food. I wonder if that messed him up.

catfamily
10-30-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
You know, when we first moved, I ran out of cat food. I've always used the same brand, but I ran out in the middle of the night and grabbed a small bag of cheap off brand food. I fed that to them for a few days until I got to the store for their regular food. I wonder if that messed him up.
I doubt a few days of yukky food would do it.A lot of cats are prone to it.You took great care of your cats.My BooBoo had it about 10 years ago when he was 6 years old.He peed blood.Scared the daylights out of me.I was living alone with him and his now deseased brother KiKi and it was a Sunday(of course) and went and payed double for a vet to take care of him.I was shaking and crying the whole time.It was then that I learned the hardway to never feed my cats supermarket food again.He's been fine since then and does not need special UTI food.Thank gooness because I have 10 cats.
I've since then call supermarket pet food poison.LOL

carole
10-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Don't feel bad Tonya, we all make errors in judgement, and that is all you did, at least you have him on the road to recovery now, UTI's are very painful in humans, so I Imagine its no different for cats, so now he will be just fine and painfree.

Tonya
10-30-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by carole
Don't feel bad Tonya, we all make errors in judgement, and that is all you did, at least you have him on the road to recovery now, UTI's are very painful in humans, so I Imagine its no different for cats, so now he will be just fine and painfree.

Yeah, that is why I feel so guilty. I get UTI's often and they are sooo painful. I couldn't imagine having one for a month. I will never ever do that again. Next time, I will get my cat checked (if I even have cats still) at the first sign.

carole
10-30-2004, 02:05 PM
Oh ok, I understand, I guess I would be feeling the same , but try not to be too hard on yourself, you will have learned from this experience, so thats a positive thing.

To tell you the truth Tonya, until I came to PT, I never even knew cats could get them, I mean it stands to reason that they could, but i never gave it a thought..

catmandu
10-31-2004, 12:58 PM
We hope,that your Cat,is all right,and the White Coats can help him.

carole
10-31-2004, 02:02 PM
Tonya just trying to put it into perspective here, just think when Jaden was little, and could not talk, I am sure there were times when you were not sure what was wrong with him if he got sick, or even as a baby, you know my daughter was only 9 mths old when she got her first UTI, and although I knew she was not well, I had no way of knowing it was something like that or as serious, luckily I did get her to the doctor straight away, so don't feel so bad and be so hard on yourself, you made an error in judgement, and forgive yourself, next time you won't make the same mistake ok. cheers girl:)