PDA

View Full Version : Where can the womanly woman go to shop??

sirrahbed
10-30-2004, 08:29 AM
This is meant to be a light-hearted take off to the other "I hate shopping" thread. My problem is different. I like and need things large. Large like size 22. The selection in most stores looks like mu-mus and granny clothes:eek: Where is a womanly woman supposed to shop without paying top dollar?? I have my best luck at Wal-Mart. The biggest problem is pretty lingerie and sleepwear. Up to size 7 is all the pretty and feminine stuff. Anything bigger is white cotton drawers and granny flannel gowns. I went shopping with my sister this week - wanting some new pj's. The closest thing to cute I found was some kitty cat sleep pants and a spaghetti strap camisole with a lacey neckline!! (it IS cute!!) That was at Fashion Bug:rolleyes:

chocolatepuppy
10-30-2004, 09:12 AM
"womanly woman"- sign me up! One problem I have is I wear a bigger size on top than the bottom! I can never buy cute two piece sets. ;)

KYS
10-30-2004, 09:20 AM
It always amazes me that stores
seem to cater to the skinny woman when
most of America is probably a size 12 and up.

Robinson-May has a large woman section in their department
store with a fairly nice selection.
(They carry Delta Burks line I think)

I like flannel Moo Moo's to wear to bed. :D

chocolatepuppy
10-30-2004, 09:20 AM
KYS I always wear flannel moo moo's! :D Can't get more comfy than that!

sirrahbed
10-30-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by chocolatepuppy
KYS I always wear flannel moo moo's! :D Can't get more comfy than that!
Don't get me wrong, I can't live without my flannel for comfort - but don't ya ever want something pretty to wear - just for...um...fun;) I mean, skinny Victoria may have her secret - but *I* want to have one too!

Cookiebaker
10-30-2004, 09:36 AM
I looove Lane Bryant. I think their clothes are specifically for larger woman (16 and up) and they are very reasonably priced (imo). Check out http://www.lanebryant.com

Cincy'sMom
10-30-2004, 09:38 AM
I have found that Lane Bryant has a decent selection of unmentionables for those of us with more on top. I also like they jeans, and it is nice going to a store, where the size I buy, is one of the smallest they sell (They have 14 and up).

Cookiebaker
10-30-2004, 09:39 AM
Looks like we were posting at the same time, Cincy's Mom. :D Good advice!! :)

chocolatepuppy
10-30-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Don't get me wrong, I can't live without my flannel for comfort - but don't ya ever want something pretty to wear - just for...um...fun;) I mean, skinny Victoria may have her secret - but *I* want to have one too!

All you have to do is take the moo moo off! ;) j/k I know what ya mean :p

Tonya
10-30-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker
I looove Lane Bryant. I think their clothes are specifically for larger woman (16 and up) and they are very reasonably priced (imo). Check out http://www.lanebryant.com

They have very cute clothes and resonable prices. Also, their clothing is very flattering.

We just got a new store in our mall called Torrid. It is a little more designed for the younger crowd, but they have cute inexpensive clothes. You can buy tops for $10 or so and jeans for $20-30...way cheaper then most specialty stores. I couldn't find a website for them though.

micki76
10-30-2004, 10:55 AM
Let's see... I've become quite the shopper since I discovered August Max (in malls in most areas, owned by Casual Corner) and Catherines (usually in strip centers, you have them in OH). Here's (http://catherines.charmingshoppes.com/home.asp) the Catherines website. :) I like Catherines for the plus petites. I'm only 5'3", and all the regular plus size pants are too long for my 6' husband!

There's also Roman's (http://www.romans.com/roamans/layout/layout.asp?referer=1&) but they're catalog only, so no store to try on the clothes. I also don't like Roman's cause all their models are thin, and it makes it hard to decide what anything would look like on me. Why use thin models for plus size clothes? :mad:

dukedogsmom
10-30-2004, 11:06 AM
It's www.torrid.com I think it's horrible the way that they cater to the skinny majority and the rest of us get the scraps of what's left. Catherine's is very expensive, from what I saw the one time I was there. Plus, a lot of it was dress clothes, which I don't wear a lot. I just go to Wal Mart and sometimes Lane Bryant.

jazzcat
10-30-2004, 11:10 AM
I like Lane Bryant for bras only. I think their clothes all look like something from 1977. I don't know why they make everything multicolored striped polyester.:rolleyes:
I buy "womanly woman" clothing from Kohl's and Goody's mostly. Sometimes I find a good deal at JCPenny's, Proffits and Dillards - if they're on sale. I went to that store Torrid this past spring and decided it was for someone younger than me (37). My favorite store just closed this past July so I don't know what I'm going to do when I need something quick to wear. It was the one store I could always find something.:(

micki76
10-30-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by jazzcat
I went to that store Torrid this past spring and decided it was for someone younger than me (37).

Yeah. Me too.

Miranda_Rae
10-30-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by KYS
It always amazes me that stores
seem to cater to the skinny woman when
most of America is probably a size 12 and up

Isn't that so true though? I don't wear a 12, but the stores all think we are all 1-4. :rolleyes: :mad: I wear between a 1-7, depending on the brand, style, etc. Oh gosh, now I feel fat. :o :(

Christiansmommy
10-30-2004, 11:55 AM
My mother in law is a size 18, and she shops at August Max...i have bought her clothes at Kohls too...

zippy-kat
10-30-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
We just got a new store in our mall called Torrid. It is a little more designed for the younger crowd...

Torrid's owned by the same people who have Hot Topic, that's why! :)
(Gotta love Hot Topic!)

christa
10-30-2004, 01:10 PM
My mom shops at CJ Banks. She loves their clothes.

I don't think they carry lacie nighties though! ;)

They don't have online ordering but I just did a store search and there are tons of stores in Ohio.

carole
10-30-2004, 01:40 PM
I would just like to add, that NZ is no different, I believe there are stores for bigger sizes here, but they are expensive, and the cheaper stuff just looks hideous IMO.

Even though I am overweight right now, I fit standard sizes, but the sizing can vary so much, I have size 12's and 14's(we don't size in the sizes 1 ,2 etc here, they tried it, but seemed to have phased out.

I suppose it is harder to make clothes in the same young styles as the small ones, even if you look at say a size 8/10 then look at it in the size 16 it never looks as nice IMO.

Designers need to think,just because you are not the standard size, does not mean you want to look frumpy, we all like to look and feel good in our clothes.

sirrahbed
10-30-2004, 01:48 PM
heehee I went to the Torrid site and ordered :
http://www.torrid.com/Assets/product_images/lg/573984_lg.jpghttp://www.torrid.com/Assets/product_images/lg/557140_lg.jpg
Cute huh?;) :cool:

Miranda_Rae
10-30-2004, 01:51 PM
Oh that IS cute...love it! :D

carole
10-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Really CUTE, I love cat PJ's, I have two pairs and I just bought my daughter some summer ones, they have a kitty similar to yours on the front and glitter and short shorts, top in pink and Black and bottom in Black and Pink.

I have noticed here in NZ anyhow that kitties are featuring on lot of the clothes right now, especially t-shirts and PJ's and I am all for that.:)

All Creatures Great And Small
10-30-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by micki76
Why use thin models for plus size clothes? :mad:

GRRRR, this makes me nuts too! I need to see what an outfit will look like on a short, spherical person with absolutely no waist. The models in those catalogs are still shaped like regular women, just thicker and taller.

As I've gotten larger (I'm about a 22 right now), I really can't find anything at Kohl's any more - I only find things now at KMart or - don't laugh - Fleet Farm! My entire wardrobe is big ol' Lee elastic waist jeans and plaid / flowered blouses now. The absolute WORST thing to try and find now are bras - when you get past a certain size, the undergarment industry is convinced that you should just wear big white torpedo-cone bras with 8 hooks up the back. I do like the styles from Just My Size (http://www.justmysize.com) though, and they fit really well. I've never really looked at their other stuff, but they have regular clothing on their site too.

KYS
10-30-2004, 05:53 PM
Those are cute p'J's.
I like the pink color and the kittens on
the pants.

guster girl
10-30-2004, 07:43 PM
I was going to mention Torrid. I've been in there before and saw some really cute stuff. My friend is 30 and she buys a lot of her clothes there. I like the pjs you ordered! :)

DogLover9501
10-30-2004, 07:58 PM
heehee I went to the Torrid site and ordered :
http://www.torrid.com/Assets/product_images/lg/573984_lg.jpghttp://www.torrid.com/Assets/product_images/lg/557140_lg.jpg
Cute huh?;) :cool:

Very cute :D :D

Nomilynn
10-30-2004, 08:03 PM
I also have a really hard time finding clothes. I'm only 24yrs old but I'm a size 22, usually. That makes it REALLY hard for me to find things I actually like! I also have a really hard time finding bras that actually fit (I'm a very large size) and don't break the bank. I usually shop at a place up here called Addition Elle for lingere, and just WalMart for regular, every day clothes. If I need something fancy I'll go to Addition Elle as well but they are VERY expensive.

However, there is a plus size section at an Old Navy in Washington that is only about a 4hr drive, and I'm gonna go one weekend (when I have money) and make a mini road-trip out of it :)

Buying clothes is SO depressing, but things seem to have gotten a bit better up here. Most department stores are carrying plus size clothes now, thank GOD!! :D

Twisterdog
10-30-2004, 08:22 PM
I like Lane Bryant for bras only

Me, too. Those are the only bras that I find to be truly comfortable ... important when you wear a large size!

Samantha Puppy
10-30-2004, 08:29 PM
Lane Bryant?

Maybe also look for magazines that feature larger models and see where they're dressed from.

Uabassoon
10-30-2004, 08:35 PM
I agree with the layne bryant for bras, I don't really like their other clothes but I love their bras.

carole
10-31-2004, 02:15 AM
Talking about Bra's, do you have the Osti brand in USA, they are really pretty and not expensive, infact it makes me mad because I am not in that size section, (too big) they start in size 18 up and neither do I fit the cutesy little ones, or need the padded ones, and there are so many of those today,my size does not have as pretty ones as the larger sizes. Guess its hard to please everyone.

BitsyNaceyDog
10-31-2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Miranda_Rae
Isn't that so true though? I don't wear a 12, but the stores all think we are all 1-4. :rolleyes: :mad:

I am a size 12-14 and I have a hard time finding clothes. I went to the mall last weekend and seriously everything was for people sizes 1-7. I left the mall and went to Target and found some clothes there.

carole
10-31-2004, 02:10 PM
I believe a size 14 is considered to be the average NZ woman.;)

Fox-Gal
10-31-2004, 04:17 PM
You if you really want something nice to where for those special nights. :D ;) You could always try Fredericks of H. I know a lot of their stuff is a little off the wall, but they do have some nice, not to wild outfits. A friend of mine picked something up there for her wedding night and she's a size 24, I think. I was surprised how cute/sexy it really was without being, well you know. :rolleyes:

But I know what you mean about larger sizes. It seem like they get the material off someone's couch or drapes. Just because someone is large doesn't mean they want to look like they just riped the drapes off the wall and wraped that around them. :eek:

Laura's Babies
10-31-2004, 06:54 PM
I am size 12 to 14 myself and all the clothes I see that I would love to buy are either for the larger ladies or MATERNITY!! NO Grandma should wear short shirts and low rider pants! I like loose and long for shirts and up to my WAIST panties that stay OUT of my butt! (and in cotton please!... Grandma panties!)

carole
10-31-2004, 07:11 PM
If you are a size 12 in NZ you are small, 8 to 10 petitie infact you would be pushed to find a size 6, but some stores do stock those sizes .
14 is average and 16 and up above average.

There are plenty lovely clothes here in size 12 and 14 to choose from.:)

yes a lot to cater for the younger ones, but we do have some stores that you can get shirts and pants as you describe Laura's Babies.

NoahsMommy
10-31-2004, 09:17 PM
In the last year or so, my mom has been shopping at Lane Bryant for a few trendy items (actually really very cute, but it may be the area?) and has found really, really nice items at Nordstrum.

I'm not sure what size Victoria's Secret goes up to, but she wears a 16/18 and can typically find things there.

kimlovescats
10-31-2004, 09:29 PM
I love those PJ's Debbie!!! I hear you on the size thing .... I am a size 16 stuffed into a size 6 frame and very short. All of my life, before all the medication I have been put on, I was in 5's or even 3's .... now it is virtually impossible to find clothes and I HATE shopping for clothes!!! I think the term Petite Plus is non-existant!!!:rolleyes: :(

sirrahved
10-31-2004, 10:23 PM
Mom, I just checked out lanebryant.com and they have such pretty things for the... err.. bedroom! Check it out!

wolf_Q
10-31-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Miranda_Rae
Isn't that so true though? I don't wear a 12, but the stores all think we are all 1-4. :rolleyes: :mad: I wear between a 1-7, depending on the brand, style, etc. Oh gosh, now I feel fat. :o :(

You wear a 1-7 and you think you are fat? Now I feel like a blimp! :o

Barbara
11-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by carole
If you are a size 12 in NZ you are small, 8 to 10 petitie infact you would be pushed to find a size 6, but some stores do stock those sizes .
14 is average and 16 and up above average.

There are plenty lovely clothes here in size 12 and 14 to choose from.:)

yes a lot to cater for the younger ones, but we do have some stores that you can get shirts and pants as you describe Laura's Babies.

Carole could it be that NZ has British sizes? A British 12 is a US 8. A US 12 is a British 16;)

carole
11-01-2004, 01:21 PM
Yes Barbara you would be right, phew i was getting mighty confused here.:)

emily_the_spoiled
11-01-2004, 01:24 PM
Has anyone ever looked at www.Chadwicks.com? I haven't bought the women's size clothes, but I have purchased their petite stuff and it seems to fit okay.

Maresche
11-01-2004, 02:09 PM
Let me just second (or third or fourth, I've lost track) Lane Bryant. I've been buying from them a lot recently and they do have some pretty stylish things in addition to a few frumpy.

They have a great lingerie and "underthings" section. I love their bras.

About 8 months ago, I bought a great nightdress from them. In fact, I credit it as one of the main reasons we're currently expecting.

mugsy
11-01-2004, 03:54 PM
I like Lane Bryant, the Avenue, Jessica London (online), K-Mart and Walmart....

I don't like LB's bras....I HATE underwire!! I usually just buy Playtex, but, I get the prettier ones.

sammy101
11-01-2004, 04:23 PM
im a little on the big side,i wear size 11 pants,pants are the only clothes that i can buy that are made for teens,all the shirts people sell these teens today are so short,like theyre made to show you bellybutton or whatever,but you know,i cant show mine! so im always wearing just regular t-shirts,or hoodies.I cant buy girls shirts,theyre always too short.it makes me so angry that they cant make girls shirts long enough:mad:

For bra's and underweari go to Victoria's Secret!:D i love that store.

wolflady
11-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Interesting thread! Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas. Torrid looks like it actually has some cute clothes for us larger ladies. Lately, I've just hated shopping, because this was the very problem I was facing. I've gained so much weight, that I just don't know how to dress myself. I feel like a huge blimp (I used to wear 6 - 8s, but am now in 14s!!!!! :( Ugh) and of course the type of clothing I used to pick out looks absolutely horrendous on me now. It's impossible to squeeze my fat rolls into anything cute, it seems. *sigh*

One of my friends took me to Macy's and I actually found some cute clothes there. I also shop a lot at Mervyn's, Target and TJ Maxx. I'll have to check out Lane Bryant and Torrid. I used to like Hot Topic, so Torrid would be perfect for me.

I have to agree with everyone at how frustrating it is to see all of these clothes geared toward the impossibly skinny women. That's why I've always hated magazines, because yes...the clothes are cute, if you're thin as a rail. It doesn't help me decide if a particular style will look good on a normal person let alone a pear-shaped one! :rolleyes:

Also, why are all the clothes for young people designed to look like what prostitutes wear??!! :eek: Ugh :rolleyes:

cookieluver7
11-01-2004, 05:35 PM
My mom shops at Eddie Bauers (Spelled sumthin like that) they have cool clothes for women that isn't too tight.

Twisterdog
11-01-2004, 06:41 PM
I like loose and long for shirts and up to my WAIST panties that stay OUT of my butt! (and in cotton please!... Grandma panties!)

AMEN to that! I just cannot imagine walking around all day in thong underwear ... isn't that like having a wedgie for eighteen straight hours?! No wonder so many people seem grouchy these days!

im a little on the big side,i wear size 11 pants

Since when did a size 11 pants become "big"? That is a perfectly normal, average ... actually smaller than average! ... size! We women have become so brainwashed by the media to think if we do not wear a size 4 and look like a pre-teen boy, that we are fat. WRONG.

Miranda_Rae
11-01-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
AMEN to that! I just cannot imagine walking around all day in thong underwear ... isn't that like having a wedgie for eighteen straight hours?! No wonder so many people seem grouchy these days!

LOL....my aunt wears thongs (and the ONLY reason I know this is because my cousin told me or I was shopping with her one time, or something like THAT :o) and she is VERY crabby. She thinks its her business to know about everyone else business and shes kind of a backstabber. :mad: That funny though...lol.

sammy101
11-01-2004, 07:27 PM

Since when did a size 11 pants become "big"? That is a perfectly normal, average ... actually smaller than average! ... size! We women have become so brainwashed by the media to think if we do not wear a size 4 and look like a pre-teen boy, that we are fat. WRONG.

I didnt know that size 11 was below average!:eek: thanks so much.Some girls at my school think theyre fat b/c they wear like size 8 pants,im like no!

For thongs,to be honest i have like 3 pairs but i never wear them.lol i think theyre really uncomfortable,i like the "boy shorts" those are really comfortable.;)

sirrahbed
11-01-2004, 09:37 PM

ROFLBMO :D My daughter (age 20) told me all about thongs and how comfy they are - I actually bought a pair:o She helped me pick them out, telling me the skinnier the back piece the more comfy. NO WAY. It does feel like a wedgie all day long. I don't wear granny drawers but I like waist fitting french cut hi-thigh undies. I told her that I had always thought THONGS were beach shoes to be worn on the feet and she doesn't believe me!!

Doesn't anyone here ever wear thongs on their feet?:rolleyes:

sammy101
11-01-2004, 09:41 PM
ROFLBMO

Doesn't anyone here ever wear thongs on their feet?:rolleyes: '

lol,i do almost everyday!:p

carole
11-01-2004, 10:56 PM
I am wearing them right now, and do in the summertime quite abit, I have ones on now that have pretty coloured stones on them, and the official name here in NZ is Jandals, however Thongs is becoming the word used here for them as well.:)

shais_mom
11-01-2004, 11:09 PM
sign me up too!!
I wear Victoria Secret Bras and Undies - I don't have a problem with their XL cotton briefs fitting me..
I usually go to Fashion Bug or Lane Bryant.
I have gained so much weight in the last few years I have given up on Walmart and other stores.
We have a local store here in town called Pamida that I have gotten some jeans/capris from. And they have nice selection of sporty wear. I just bought a sweatshirt and a couple hooded tops there.
And when in doubt I buy men's sport pants, t shirts, sweatshirts, sweaters, etc.

I was with my cousin and we were in American Eagle - she has a KILLER figure, and the sales girl came up to me and said what size can I get you.... it was all I could do to NOT laugh in her face - Like I could wear anything in there. I just pointed to my cousin.
funny story - same day we went into Victoria Secret and I asked to be measured. The girl took me back to the dressing booth where 2 girls were measuring they were like "stand straight" "arms up" "arms down" "up again" went and grabbed a box and handed me a box of bras. It was like running around one of those whirly doors!! Our Victoria Secret doesn't have dedicated measuring people so it was all new to me!