PDA

View Full Version : Help! Excessive Panting

dukedogsmom
10-29-2004, 09:35 PM
I know this belongs in dog health but I also know a lot of people don't go over there and I need some advice. Duke is panting pretty heavily all the time now. He wakes me up at night panting loudly. I'm so worried because this is how his last pancreatitus attack happened. That was a year and a half ago and ever since then, he has eaten nothing but special food and treats which are given very sparingly. We're taking a road trip in a week and will be gone for 12 days. I'm scared to death that something is going to happen while on that trip. He just had a vet checkup about a month ago but the panting has gotten worse since then, also. I've gotten all his records printed out to take with me, just in case. Anyone have any advice or suggestions? I'm seriously considering taking him back to the vet, even though I need all the money I can because I'm renting a car. I just don't know what to do and get sad when I think about him maybe being sick. He acts normal otherwise, though. Sorry for the rambling.

Kfamr
10-29-2004, 09:40 PM
I don't think i've ever seen him not panting, other than when he was sleeping.

I really don't know what to say. Simba has started to pant a bit too, not as much as Duke, but he does quite often.

Maybe just call the vets and ask them what they think.

anna_66
10-29-2004, 09:43 PM
I don't want to make you worry but Angus did alot of panting too. We were never quite sure why though. Wouldn't hurt to call the vet and ask his advice. I hope it's nothing.
Keep us updated Val.

micki76
10-29-2004, 09:46 PM
I would at least call the vet. If Duke's panting has gotten worse, it could be a sign of some sort of pain. A call can't hurt.

Tinkerboots
10-29-2004, 09:48 PM
My intention is not to scare you, but to make you aware of the possibilty. One of my dogs, Beethoven, had the same issue. He began panting alot. Very heavily, almost as if he was having a hard time trying to breathe. That or he was coping through pain. We brought him in to the vet after a day of keeping an eye on him. His panting had not weaken. It had gotten worse. It turns out that that was his way in managing his breathing through pain. Kind of like labor pains and the heaving breathing. After taking some blood tests and x-rays, the doctor found that not only does he have an enlarged heart, but he has a brain tumor as well. Heavy panting/breathing is a sure sign something is not right. It's their way in letting you know something is wrong. I would suggest bringing him in to be on the safe side. Better safe than sorry... I hope everything turns out fine. Duke will be in my prayers.

Cookiebaker
10-29-2004, 10:22 PM
If it was me, I would call the vet and explain it to him/her exactly as you have here. Tell them what your concern is, and ask their advice whether or not you should bring him in. Ask for other symptoms that you should be aware of, and tell them that you are ready to head out for a trip.

Please keep us informed. We will keep you and the Dukester in our thoughts, and I hope you have a wonderful worry-free road trip!! :)

sabies
10-30-2004, 12:04 AM
I would call the vet. Has his heart been checked? Gather some numbers of vets that will be along the way for your trip. My thoughts are with you and Duke!

Fox-Gal
10-30-2004, 12:12 AM
Go see the vet before you leave, you'll feel better, he'll feel better and then you'll have a safe, happy, worry free trip. You know you won't enjoy the trip if you'r worried about him the whole time.

Plus, not to worry you sense painting can be from a lot of things, but a friend of mine just lost her baby and painting was one of the things she noticed too. Better safe then sorry.

Now don't go and freak out and worry your self to death, most likely it's nothing, just call the Vet, so you'll feel better about it.

BTW: give me a call about Thurs. That is if everythings ok with Duke and you.

cloverfdx
10-30-2004, 12:23 AM
Val, i would also give the Vet a call and see what they say. I will be keeping both you and Duke in my thoughts and prayers that the panting is nothing too serious and that you have a safe trip.

{{Hugs}}

dukedogsmom
10-30-2004, 09:07 AM
I've got to drop him off Monday morning so that the vet can do an exray of his chest and possibly a blood test. Vet asked if he sneezed and he does so often. So, I'm going to the store to get some benedryl. I hope it's nothing serious. It could be cushings disease which is not good at all. I got so upset last night researching what it could be. I wish he could just live forever.

sabies
10-30-2004, 10:23 AM
Good luck Monday. I'll be thinking of you and Duke. Please don't worry yourself too much (I know that's not easy).

wolfie
10-30-2004, 12:00 PM
Good luck at the vet's Duke!!! I hope it's nothing.

chocolatepuppy
10-30-2004, 12:07 PM
I will keep Duke in my thoughts and prayers, hopefully it's nothing serious.

K9soul
10-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Oh Val I know how worried you must be :(. Duke will be in my prayers and I hope everything goes well at his vet appointment. Let us know as soon as you find out anything. {{HUGS}}

tomkatzid
10-30-2004, 12:22 PM
Tonee had 'cushings' and it is treatable, for many years. You'd just need blood test every 90 days. Does he have the other signs of 'cushings'? I hope the benedryl does the trick and he is just allergic to something in the air. Tonee was misdiagnosed for 2.5 yrs and they had her on a bronchial tube diolater. Waste of time and money. Blood work will tell you if he in fact he has ’cushings'.

Holly's mom
10-31-2004, 10:57 AM
Oh, I hope it's nothing serious. :( Keeping fingers and paws crossed that all will go well at the vet's tomorrow. Please keep us updated.

lizbud
10-31-2004, 02:07 PM
I hope Duke checks out o. k. on Monday. Buddy did seem to
pant a lot more in his later days as I think his body was just
slowly wearing out.:( There are probably a lot of other things
that could also cause the panting & I do hope the Vet can relieve
your mind about Duke. Please let us know what the Dr. says.

4 Dog Mother
10-31-2004, 04:04 PM
Will keep you and Duke in prayers until you find out what is causing the excess panting. Hope all turns out well!

tatsxxx11
10-31-2004, 04:32 PM
Oh Val:( I know how worried you must be. But try not to think ahead too far and ponder what it might before Duke is seen by the vet. So many things could be causing it, including not so serious ones. I will be keeping you and Duke in my prayers, Val. We all love Duke and hope for some encuraaging news tomorrow. {{{HUGS}}} Sandra, Cody and Star

shais_mom
10-31-2004, 04:33 PM
How is Duke?
keep us posted...

Kfamr
10-31-2004, 04:45 PM
Hope Val doesn't mind me posting......

She just left my house.
Duke threw up twice this morning but seemed A LOT better by the time we left to come here.

Here's a picture of him and his best buddy. :)

trayi52
10-31-2004, 04:47 PM
Val, I will keep you and Duke in my prayers. Hopefully it will be nothing serious. I agree with Sandra, just don't think so far in advance and see what the vet says.

Hugz,
Willie:)

Sudilar
10-31-2004, 05:24 PM
Great pic, Kay! Hopefully Duke is feeling a little better. Good luck at the vets!

Becki
11-01-2004, 12:02 AM
I hope the vet visit goes well.

cloverfdx
11-01-2004, 08:30 AM
Keeping Duke man in my thoughts and prayers. Check in when you can.

{{Hugs}}

micki76
11-01-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
She just left my house.
Duke threw up twice this morning but seemed A LOT better by the time we left to come here.

I'm glad he was feeling better. :) Good thoughts for Duke today!

FizzGiggs_Mommy
11-01-2004, 10:32 AM
I hope Duke feels much better after a visit with the doctor.

tatsxxx11
11-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Any news on Duke???:confused: Keeping my fingers crossed:)

kimlovescats
11-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Anxious to hear how Duke is!:confused:

Tollers-n-Dobes
11-01-2004, 03:43 PM
Any news yet?

dukedogsmom
11-01-2004, 03:59 PM
Thanks so much everyone. Poor Duke has been at the vet all day long. They were totally booked and had to fit him in. So, they didn't even start doing tests until about 2:30 :o We've been separated for half the day for nothing. Good news is his bloodwork came out normal. He didn't pant at all last night and his breathing was much better. I didn't sleep worth crap and have been up since 5 worrying about him. They're doing xrays now and hopefully will call soon so I can pick him up. I have to work tomorrow and haven't gotten to spend any time with him today. He wouldn't even walk back the to cage area without me. He kept looking back, making sure I was following the girl that had him. He's going to be very hungry and thirsty, too, because he couldn't have any water or food in case he had to be sedated. I'm thinking I'll just give him one Benedryl every night after supper. I think they are really helping him. Thanks for your concern. This will really put me at ease for the big trip ahead.

Blustang24
11-01-2004, 06:02 PM
It may just be allergies too Val! Since the benadryl is helping him with his panting and sneezing. He may have been just clogged up and struggling to breathe a little more air. Jessie had allergies and would sneeze and pant, and her eyes would get red. Then benadryl and some eye drops helped her out. Glad to hear he's doing better! :)

dukedogsmom
11-01-2004, 06:10 PM
Ok. Just got back from vet. Good news is they could find nothing wrong. That makes me feel a lot better about taking that long trip. The only thing that doesn't look quite normal is his liver count. But, it hasn't changed since his appointment in August. So, we're just going to be looking closely to make sure if he does change at all, we'll be sure to catch it. Bad news is, it cost $172 to find this out. But, I'd pay that and more to keep him healthy. He just got through eating dinner and I sang him the happy dog song while he had his noserubber on his favorite blanket. Thanks so much for everyone's kind words. They helped a lot. Seems like I worried so much for nothing.

delidog
11-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Oh Val & Duke,
I just saw this....then took another 20 min. to read through...
I am So Glad That Duke is Fine!!!!
So scary when they don't feel well!!!!!

Hugs & Special Treats Duke!!!!
Glad it all worked out!!!

dukedogsmom
11-01-2004, 07:09 PM
It is very scary! I was going to try and put this video in my other reply so as not to make a new one but couldn't. Here's Duke at the fountain before the vet this morning. I was trying to get the nice sound of the fountain but a construction truck came by near the end of it.

kimlovescats
11-01-2004, 08:07 PM
I'm so glad that everything is ok with your Duke! I love the video, he is so handsome, and I loved the fountain as well!;)

Fox-Gal
11-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Oh I am so gald he's fine. I thought about him and you, most of the day today, with fingers crossed . I know that has taking a huge load off your mind. Now you can go on your trip worry free.

BTW: have a great trip and be safe on the drive there and back.

slleipnir
11-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Glad he is ok! Josie has been panting A LOT lately too...I think it has something to do with the cat now being here though...but it worrys me because of her epilipsy..

K9soul
11-01-2004, 09:14 PM
That's wonderful news Val! I'm so glad nothing was found, that has to put your heart at ease finally. I know those vet bills can get a bit hefty but having that peace of mind is worth it I'm sure. The video of him was beautiful, give him a hug from me please :)

sabies
11-02-2004, 07:41 AM
So glad nothing was found. Stay healthy Duke! You look so cute on the fountain!

tatsxxx11
11-02-2004, 08:47 AM
What a HUGE relief it was to read this morning that the vet found nothing seriously wrong with our Duke:) I'm so happy for you Al, that you can now take your trip with your mind a bit more at ease and your heart, tons lighter:) As Jess says, we all know how those vet visits can drain the wallet. But I'm sure knowing that there's nothing seriously wrong with him was well worth the cost:) Please give Duke a big hug and kiss for me:):):)

RottiMommy49
11-02-2004, 12:38 PM
I'm sorry I just found this post and finished reading all the threads now. I'm so happy that everything is ok with Duke and you can have peace of mind on your trip. Enjoy and be safe.:)

Hugs....Deb

http://ibelieveinangels.mypicgallery.com/rottiangels/debrotts_large.jpg

tatsxxx11
11-02-2004, 05:59 PM
How's Duke doing today, Val? Update us when you can:) HUGS and bunches of kisses to you Duke!!! Sandra

wolfie
11-02-2004, 06:49 PM
I'm glad Duke is doing well!

molucass
11-02-2004, 07:24 PM
I'm glad Duke is doing well! Give that handsome pup some hugs and kisses from me! :D

dukedogsmom
11-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Duke is his fiesty old self tonight. Thanks for all the kind words. I just got through talking to Anna and I'm so wired. I can't wait until we head out on Saturday! Plus, getting a cat when I'm there, it's almost just too much excitement.