PDA

View Full Version : Therapy Doggy Classes

sammy101
10-29-2004, 08:50 PM
My mom and I are talking about signing Kodie up to be a Therapy Doggy!:) We would just take him to the Senior Homes and Hospitals.
The only problem is that he has to stop jumping( most the time he doesnt) and he likes to bite your arm.(not hard though)
My mom is going to talk about it to Kodies Obediance Trainer.I think he would be a wonderful Therapy dog,just b/c he as a wonderful personality,and loves people.

I'll let you know soon!:)

Cincy'sMom
10-30-2004, 09:26 AM
Good luck! All 3 of our dogs are therpay dogs and it is great to see what a visit from a dog can do to cheer a person up.

Our sadie is a jumper and a licker, but shelearnd that when she is "working" she can't act that way. She seems to know who is play amterial, and who she need sto be more gentle with.

How old is Kodie?

sammy101
10-30-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom

How old is Kodie?

He'll be 16 months old in 2 days!

also,what do they learn in Therapy classes?

Miranda_Rae
10-30-2004, 10:44 AM
I want Heidi to become a Therapy dog, but I have to wait another year, just so that she calms down a bit. She will be 2 in December. Her breed is normally hyper, and everyone who knows about the breed says that she is doing REALLY good, I mean mellow and things. I just have to give her some more time. :)

Aspen and Misty
10-30-2004, 10:52 AM
I think Nova would make a good theropy dog, but she doesn't like her tail pulled. She doesn't bite, but puts your hand in her mouth and Whines. SO I'm pretty sure she can't do it, although we are working with her for her tail.

Connor would make a exellent theropy dog! He loves people, isvery gentle. He is smart,sensitive, good in public, walks well on a leash, allows you to do anything to you and isn't afried of anything!

I think having a theropy dog would be a wonderful thing. It gives your dog's love to people who need it.

I think it's wonderful you are thinking about doing this with Kodie, I know he will do wonderful!

Ash

sammy101
10-30-2004, 11:12 AM
Kodie doesnt mind when you pull his tail or whatever.Theres a 89 year old lady that my mom see's every morning,and she says " Good Morning,Kodie!" then she would give him a kiss and Kodie would kiss her back on her cheek:D ,he's usualy very gentle with older people.
im going to call on Monday.

petslover
10-30-2004, 11:31 AM
I have that same problem with my dog Ziggy. She is 2 and she will always jump on you and after she does that I always have scratches all over my arm and she likes to put my hand in her mouth. I know she don't understand , but she snaps down sometimes and it hurts. I been thinking about taking her to a obedience class, but she doesn't like any other dogs. We have to keep her away from our other dogs. I go out there everyday with her hoping that she will get out of that stage. I love Ziggy though. She is my buddy! I know what your going through... Good Luck with it.

How much are obedience classes? usually?

Cincy'sMom
10-30-2004, 11:38 AM
The reason I asked Kodie's age, is that a dog has to be 1 year old before they can take the test. cincy took it at 1 1/2 and sadie and Spot were 3 before they took the test. Some dogs just need t be a little older and past the puppy stage before they are ready to calm down.

Basically, in the class, they teach the skills our dog needs to know before they take thes test. Your dog should have some training before you jump into this class.

Here is a link to the TDI page.
http://www.tdi-dog.org/

On the left sideof the page, there is alink for TDI testing, and tells the skills your dog needs to pass to pass the test.

Miranda_Rae
10-30-2004, 12:06 PM
The reason I asked Kodie's age, is that a dog has to be 1 year old before they can take the test. cincy took it at 1 1/2 and sadie and Spot were 3 before they took the test. Some dogs just need t be a little older and past the puppy stage before they are ready to calm down.

Basically, in the class, they teach the skills our dog needs to know before they take thes test. Your dog should have some training before you jump into this class.

Here is a link to the TDI page.
http://www.tdi-dog.org/

On the left sideof the page, there is alink for TDI testing, and tells the skills your dog needs to pass to pass the test.

Its kind of like the Canine Good Citizen Test with a few things added, right? Heidi passed the Canine Good Citizen test when she was 10 months old, so I am sure she would be able to do this, but I don't think anyone does the testing around here. :( Not sure though.

sammy101
10-30-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by petslover

How much are obedience classes? usually?

Mine is a one time cost of $75!:eek: cheap,eh??You can go as long as you want to.

Thanks for the website.Kodie has some training,he knows sit,heel,down,we just need to work on the Come command.He would do well in that test,except for the come when called.

petslover
10-30-2004, 03:43 PM
wow that is cheap. its like 199 for only 8 weeks here. I don't have that kind of money. Thats so cheap.

Cincy'sMom
10-30-2004, 04:26 PM
Miranda-There is also an option on the TDI test to look up places that give the tests. You should be able to find someone who can do the test.

When we took our dog through basica trainingit was about $95 for entry level classes, and $85 for upper level classes. All of them were 6 weeks. I think now puppt K and such is like $110 and clases like therapy dog are now $95

Miranda_Rae
10-30-2004, 05:45 PM
Miranda-There is also an option on the TDI test to look up places that give the tests. You should be able to find someone who can do the test.

When we took our dog through basica trainingit was about $95 for entry level classes, and $85 for upper level classes. All of them were 6 weeks. I think now puppt K and such is like $110 and clases like therapy dog are now $95

Lol...this is what it said when I clicked on my state: Testing information currently not available

I am pretty sure that means that there isn't any simple because what the heck would it be doing HERE?!?! :rolleyes: :p :o

Cincy'sMom
10-31-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Miranda_Rae
Lol...this is what it said when I clicked on my state: Testing information currently not available

I am pretty sure that means that there isn't any simple because what the heck would it be doing HERE?!?! :rolleyes: :p :o

What state are you in? (if you don't want to post it here, you can PM me) I have some phone numbers, I can do some checking and see if I can find anything near you.

Miranda_Rae
11-04-2004, 01:26 PM
What state are you in? (if you don't want to post it here, you can PM me) I have some phone numbers, I can do some checking and see if I can find anything near you.

The lovely state of North Dakota....:o :rolleyes: Now I must go hide my face in shame....:o