PDA

View Full Version : Dog saves woman's life

jonza
10-29-2004, 01:03 PM
Finally, some positive news on CNN, it makes a change from all the mud slinging going on nowadays. Perhaps it would be better if our politicians were dogs or cats! :rolleyes:

Dog saves woman's life by calling 911
Friday, October 29, 2004 Posted: 7:26 AM EDT (1126 GMT)

RICHLAND, Washington (AP) -- Leana Beasley has faith that a dog is man's best friend.

Faith, a 4-year-old Rottweiler, phoned 911 when Beasley fell out of her wheelchair and barked urgently into the receiver until a dispatcher sent help. Then the service dog unlocked the front door for the police officer.

"I sensed there was a problem on the other end of the 911 call," said dispatcher Jenny Buchanan. "The dog was too persistent in barking directly into the phone receiver. I knew she was trying to tell me something."

Faith is trained to summon help by pushing a speed-dial button on the phone with her nose after taking the receiver off the hook, said her owner, Beasley, 45, who suffers grand mal seizures.

Guided by experts at the Assistance Dog Club of Puget Sound, Beasley helped train Faith herself.

The day of the fall, Faith "had been acting very clingy, wanting to be touching me all day long," Beasley said Thursday.

The dog, whose sensitive nose can detect changes in Beasley's body chemistry, is trained to alert her owner to impending seizures.

But that wasn't what was happening on September 7, and Faith apparently wasn't sure how to communicate the problem. During Beasley's three-week hospital stay, doctors determined her liver was not properly processing her seizure medication.

cyber-sibes
10-29-2004, 03:56 PM
What a neat story! Good girl, Faith! Her owner & trainers must be so proud of her! I love shows on how they train service dogs, it's great to hear a "real life" story. Dogs are so awesome!

dukedogsmom
10-29-2004, 04:05 PM
That is so amazing! I'll bet she's so proud of Faith. I know I would be, and am. What a smart dog.

chocolatepuppy
10-29-2004, 04:05 PM
Great job Faith! :)

tatsxxx11
10-29-2004, 04:09 PM
Good job Faith! And what a perfect name for such an amazing dog:) You're a true heroine Faith:) Your Mom must be so proud of you!!! Thanks for sharing this John. Finally, a little happy news:)

Freckles
10-29-2004, 05:20 PM
HERE's (http://www.katu.com/stories/72211.html) her picture.:)

manda99
10-29-2004, 07:13 PM
Awesome!
I think it's so extraordinary that aniamls can sense when something can happen. And the fact that they can actually be trained to do stuff like this - amazing.

AND Faith being a Rottie makes it even cooler.
Now, someone find me similiar stories where the dog involved is a pittie. :)

dukedogsmom
10-29-2004, 08:07 PM
That video brought tears to my eyes. What a sweet dog. And, I loved the comments of the news people at the end.

Kfamr
10-29-2004, 08:12 PM
Now, how people could "hate" dogs after seeing this they must be insane.

Dogs are such amazing creatures.

flamepony12
10-29-2004, 08:20 PM
wow, that's amazing! I loved the end of the movie.

"It's bad people that mess up dogs."

senorita02
10-29-2004, 09:43 PM
what a hero faith is!!!!:)

Cookiebaker
10-29-2004, 10:27 PM
I just saw this story on Cnn.com. What a great story, and truly a beautiful, beautiful dog. They had a video up on the story, and it brought tears to my eyes. :o

popcornbird
10-29-2004, 11:57 PM
What an amazing heartwarming story!!! Faith is truely a hero pup!

KYS
10-30-2004, 08:57 AM
Isn't that a great story.
On one of the news channels
this morning they interviewed the rescued woman, her
hero Rottie. and the 911 operater on. :D

tatsxxx11
10-30-2004, 10:13 AM
I just saw that on TV too, Karen! Faith is such a beautiful pup! She was given a "canine hero" award by the city:)

delidog
10-31-2004, 04:58 AM
Awww!!
Good Girl Faith!!!!
What a Great Dog!!!!!

You are right,Johnza...the Kerry/Bush thing is getting old fast!!!