PDA

View Full Version : Horse Neglect: I NEED YOUR HELP! ASAP!

Desert Arabian
10-29-2004, 12:01 PM
Hello Everyone,

I need fellow PT’ers to do a huge favor for me, especially all the horse people on the board. Heather D, Amy T (my friends) and I are trying to bust a place (not saying the name of the place) for horse neglect; we want to gather as much information as possible before we turn them in. We want to find CREDITABLE information about horse care laws in Wisconsin. We are having a hard time finding stuff on the internet, we are going to call local vets, and look around to see if we can find any published books at the libraries or something.

Can you please search the internet and see what you come up with for horse care laws (basic health standards) in Wisconsin!? Remember is has to be CREDITABLE...not someone’s opinion on what the laws should entail. Any information you find will be greatly appreciated.

This is an extremely hard process my friends and I are going through and extremely stressful. We have been trying to bust this place for a year or so- but it takes such a long time to get all the information we need to confront them about their neglect. Please, we really need more help, even if you don't live in Wisconsin, help us out a little bit. We need all the help we can get.

Please, please, please, help us! Thank you soooo much! If you help me get information that means you helped horses get out of this horrible situation- if you just sit here and read this thread and say "that is so sad, poor horses" you are just letting them stay in this horrible situation and suffer even more- help the horses by helping us get the information we need to stop their suffering.

-Laura, Heather D and Amy T

Thank you so much for taking your time to read this and help us.

Desert Arabian
10-29-2004, 12:05 PM
Here is a piece of Heather's e-mail I recieved from her last night...it might help explain exactly what informtion we need better....

I've actually been looking into Wisconsin laws around animal abuse or neglect, talk about exhausting and futile.
I have a hard time finding any kind of information. I just wanted to see what the basic standards are for health care to horses, besides water food and shelter. I'm trying to find a more specific list of standards, how high of a standard is floating of the teeth, and sheath cleaning, is it really a basic health standard? I'd like to find a creditable factual basic health standard used for horses now a days so I can use it when i talk to [NAME REMOVED] and
[NAME REMOVED]. If you would like to help me, I am trying to find as much information about basic health standards for horses what they are and their details. If you know any vets that deal with horses or could tell you about health standards or talk about anything about the standards of teeth floating,
sheath cleaning and hoof trimming that would be a start.

dukedogsmom
10-29-2004, 12:06 PM
Call your local law enforcement. We have an Ag Crimes unit. Also, check with the Humane Society. Is there any way you can get a spy in there to take some pics? That would be good, if you could do it in a way where they thought that person was interested in the barn, etc.

Desert Arabian
10-29-2004, 12:14 PM
We don't want to call the local law enforment yet. We first want to gather all the information, then confront the person see if they will step up the care and get the horses the proper medical care they need. See, we really don't want to get them in trouble, we just want them to step up their care they are rather stubborn people who believe captive horses are the same as wild horses and do not require especial care like teeth floation. If we have the creditable information, and they read it, they will step up the care because they know their business operation will be shut down if they don't.

I already have taken may pictures myself, since I've been there many times. I also have first hand experience working with the horses, that is why it is hard on me to see them suffering.

Denyce
10-29-2004, 12:37 PM
Ok. Here is a list of different websites dealing with Animal Cruelty and Laws. I hope it gets you started.

http://www.animal-law.org/index.html

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=lawmanual

http://www.api4animals.org/47.htm#States

http://www.petbreedersnmore.com/shelters.html

I don't know how much any of this will help you. It is from some work I am doing as far as our crappy SPCA is concerned but it might get you started.

I think you are going to find what you are trying to do very difficult. Unless the horses are "showing" signs of neglect and lack of food and medical care then there isn't much that can be done. They must be underweight with obvious signs of neglect such as cracked and broken hooves, open wounds or sores, low body weight scores etc.

Also what you are doing is what some local law enforcement called us here.......vigilante. It is often just the best thing to try and work with the law. Threatening isn't always the safest thing to do.

I wish you luck in this. I understand and applaud your efforts. Just please take care. You ultimately want to do what is the best for the animals.

Denyce

dukedogsmom
10-29-2004, 12:42 PM
If they haven't taken proper care of them before, what makes you think they're going to change just because you ask them to? I would report them to the proper people and try to ease the suffering of the horses. People like that don't deserve to have any animals.

PJ's Mom
10-29-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
If they haven't taken proper care of them before, what makes you think they're going to change just because you ask them to? I would report them to the proper people and try to ease the suffering of the horses. People like that don't deserve to have any animals.

I agree. Besides, the animal control authorities may give them that opportunity. Take care of the horses or lose them...it's better left to professionals, I think.