PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded nail trimmers

Diane FG
10-29-2004, 09:35 AM
Out of my 4, Fudgie is the only one who doesn't mind getting his nails trimmed. My other 3 run for cover when they see me going to the draw that has the trimmers in it!

I've never quicked anyone, but boy do they hate it!! Everyone gets a treat when I'm done..... they like that part of it :)

Miranda_Rae
10-29-2004, 09:38 AM
Heidi doesn't mind her nails being done, sometimes it seems like she is falling asleep. :rolleyes: She hates her ears being done though. She is getting better though. :) She will try to cover her ears with her paws...lol too funny! :p

binka_nugget
10-29-2004, 09:54 AM
Oy! I hate cutting nails! I've never quicked anyone either but Kaedyn loves to put up a fight. He's fussy about getting his front paws trimmed but he doesn't care at all about his back paws.

Miranda_Rae
10-29-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
Oy! I hate cutting nails! I've never quicked anyone either but Kaedyn loves to put up a fight. He's fussy about getting his front paws trimmed but he doesn't care at all about his back paws.
I don't mind....Heidi really doesn't care. I have quicked a nail before, but it really didn't seem to bother her. :confused:

KYS
10-29-2004, 07:16 PM
I have to admit I have quicked Sheba, and
she has a memory of a elephant.
(She has black nails too.)
I only have to cut the 2 nails on Rocky.
He does that scratch dance on the lawn and
keeps them trim himself.

manda99
10-29-2004, 07:19 PM
I am so scared to cut Smokey's nails. I cut too short once when he was a puppy and while he didn't even flinch I was traumatized and cried thinking I hurt him.
I haven't done them myself since. But I think I need to get back on the horse, so to speak, and try again. Any advice?

BitsyNaceyDog
10-29-2004, 07:47 PM
Out of my four Charlie is the only difficult one. We use to have to muzzle him, now we keep the muzzle close by but don't usually need it.

Kfamr
10-29-2004, 08:38 PM
Mine get theirs clipped once a week, and none of them mind it.
I have hit Kiara's quick numerous times, as her nails are completely black. I keep paper towels and corn starch near-by. I soak up any blood that may be out, and then quickly put a bit of corn starch on it.
The corn starch stops the bleeding.

sammy101
10-29-2004, 08:58 PM
we've never cut Kodies nails!:eek: They've always stayed nice and short,he goes for walks twice a day,on the concrete so that keeps his nails down.

Cookiebaker
10-29-2004, 10:19 PM
When Malone was a pup, he put up a dreadful fight. It took both Mark & I to keep him settled down. He learned that he can't get away with funny business, so even though he doesn't like it, he doesn't fight us, either.

Emerson has never minded it. He just lays still and puts his paw out. :)

wolf_Q
10-29-2004, 10:51 PM
Nebo was a little bugger as a pup but he's great now. He will just sit there and let me clip them.

Reggie and Sydney do not like it, I usually just hold them in my lap. Syd is the worst of the bunch....but compared to many dogs nails I've clipped at work, she's an angel!

Lady's Human
10-29-2004, 11:00 PM
It takes at least two people to trim Lady's tootsies. one for her to hide her head in, and at least one to hold her and trim the toenails. The vet won't do it without tranquilizers, but thankfully we got the driveway paved and the pavement has been keeping her nails trimmed.

Giselle
10-29-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by manda99 I am so scared to cut Smokey's nails. I cut too short once when he was a puppy and while he didn't even flinch I was traumatized and cried thinking I hurt him.
I haven't done them myself since. But I think I need to get back on the horse, so to speak, and try again. Any advice?

Some tips that have worked for me:

Cut the dog's nails when the dogs are tired/groggy. Less energy-less fuss;)
Take a toothbrush and water and clean the dog's nails. It really does get out some dirt.
If you have dark nails, look at the nails from the cut area. The nail will be oval and have an outer shell and a hollow area inside. Think of an egg. The yolk is the part where the hollow area is supposed to be and the egg white is the outer shell, the part you're supposed to cut. Whenever you see that the hollow area is NOT hollow, then that is the quick. It's a nice thing to know:)
Treat and praise and make things quick (no pun intended).
Use a bright flashlight for the horn-colored nails.
File the nails down around the sides and on top to force quick back even more.
Lastly, you can try a Dremel! Always read instructions first, and never spend too much time on one nail, however.

Good Luck.

LuvmyPapillons
10-30-2004, 02:48 AM
This is an interesting post..I trim all 4 myself also. I have hit the quick only twice..and Jackie hasn't forgotten. They know they will get a "ymmie" when finished. I have the hardest time with my male Papillon, Mic..2 days ago he actually growled and nipped at me the bugger! But alot of sweet talk and few NO's did the Job..
Brushing teeth is were I have the hardest time..any suggestions?
I use a good doggie paste and a smal enough brush..But they hate so much!! I have only been brushing every 2 weeks...BAD owner!!
Victoria
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid144/pf378c19714a19a7e1d70c5bf4ee993c0/f6776b25.jpg

Buddy Blaze Lover
10-30-2004, 10:09 AM
Blaze HATES getting his nails trimmed too! I don't know...he's just never liked it...

Miranda_Rae
10-30-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Mine get theirs clipped once a week, and none of them mind it.
I have hit Kiara's quick numerous times, as her nails are completely black. I keep paper towels and corn starch near-by. I soak up any blood that may be out, and then quickly put a bit of corn starch on it.
The corn starch stops the bleeding.

Heidi has completely black nails also. We use quickstop. When I did cut her nails too short one time I didn't have quickstop so I had to use flour. :o

K9soul
10-30-2004, 12:30 PM
Tasha's nails are completely black so I'm always more nervous when cutting hers but so far haven't had too much problem, I may have slightly quicked her a time or two but not too badly. She's pretty good but her feet are ticklish and she jerks them suddenly sometimes. Tommy used to be pretty "jerky" when clipping his nails but he's gotten really good about it now, he mostly just lays there. He jerks some when I'm trimming the hair on his feet bottoms though, I know that tickles his feet. I've mildly quicked him once and he had no reaction.

My RB Willie is the one who got quicked the worst once. His breeder was helping us groom him for a show and Mom told her she had clipped his nails but I guess she either wasn't thinking or thought that they were still too long because she took out her clippers and clipped them more. Well one she clipped way too far up and it bled badly. He never flinched, never showed any signs of pain at all, but I was extremely alarmed at the amount of blood, and Mom was angry with Helen (breeder) for reclipping them. Even with quick stop it was hard to get it under control. I still wonder how she managed to clip that nail so far up like that, but it was an accident. She felt horrible.