PDA

View Full Version : my brother's first pet

lute
10-28-2004, 08:59 PM
my parents are thinking of lettin my brother get a bird. he wants to learn as much as he can before choosing what kind of bird to get.

he wants a bird that he can hang out with.
it can't be too loud because we live in an apartment.
i have a tiel so we have bird experiance.

okie PTers please help my brother find out what bird is good for him.:D

aly
10-28-2004, 09:20 PM
Browse around on the Bird Talk forum : http://www.birdtalkmagazine.com/anforum/

They have lots of threads started by people with the same question and you'll find a lot of good advice!

lute
10-28-2004, 09:29 PM
cool...thanks!:D

flamepony12
10-28-2004, 10:02 PM
I know that most parrots make A LOT of noise. Budgies are small, but they sure can shreak. I have a female cockatiel, who does not make ANY sound at all, except for whistling an occasional tune and chirping a hello :D I've heard that boy cockatiels are sometimes more noisy than females, because of the courting. but males can talk. Whatever kind you think is right for your family! :) good luck! :)

lute
10-28-2004, 10:27 PM
thanks flamepony12, i have a male cockatiel and he talks and is loud at times.

i was thinking he would like a budgie,but he likes lucy(my tiel) so they are an option. he also likes the way finches sing. i was wondering if sun conures were too loud for apartments because he saw one and he likes them too.

Giselle
10-28-2004, 10:44 PM
Hehehe...Have you joined BirdTalk? I'm GreenleafGreyhound on there. I'm also on DogFancy, if you want to drop in with a canine issue:)

Word to the wise...Aratinga Conures (this includes Suns, Jendays, Nandays, etc.) are loud by nature. It's just natural for them to scream, I guess. Maybe you'll get lucky and end up with a quieter one, but Aratingas are generally LOUD. I doubt this will work for an apartment situation. I second the notion for a pet budgie. They're great little birds and are extremely easy to tame even if parent-raised. I also recommend a parrotlet. However, these guys are quite active and have loads of personality stuffed into a tiny body. Think---Tiny Macaw;) I also recommend a Lovebird. Don't have too much experience with them, but if raised properly, a lovie will make a great birdie friend.

BitsyNaceyDog
10-28-2004, 11:08 PM
Cockatiels and budgies of corse are great first birds, but if he's looking for something a bit bigger I love and would recommend an Indian ringneck parakeet. I have one and he is great. He can get vocal, but compared to other birds they really aren't too loud. My Oscar is a pretty good talker and a wonderful eater, and he loves to be with us. They come in several different colors- green, blue, yellow, white.
Here is a picture of Oscar after a shower:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/kblaix/animals/birds/IMG_0734.jpg