PDA

View Full Version : Natural Choice Dog Food

sammy101
10-28-2004, 08:01 PM
Does anyone feed their dogs Natural Choice?Were thinking of switching Kodie over to that,instead of Pedigree,We got a free sample and kodie loved it.
i just would like to know

how much a dry bag is,for Large Breed
if it has any bi-products,etc.

thanks!:)

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-28-2004, 08:05 PM
it's the only food I can give my dogs without them getting sick! it's a great food, in Canada it costs about $30.00-$40.00, I don't rmember exactly. As far as I know it dosn't have any bi-products at all.

binka_nugget
10-28-2004, 08:22 PM
Here are the ingredients of Natural Choice - Large Breed:

"Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Corn Gluten Meal, Rice Bran, Dried Beet Pulp, Wheat Flour, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Dried Egg Product, Lecithin, Dried Kelp, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Biotin, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Manganese Proteinate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Manganous Oxide, Chondroitin Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid"

And these are the ingredients to Pedigree - Complete Nutrition (Adults):
"GROUND YELLOW CORN, MEAT AND BONE MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA/BHT), WHEAT MILL RUN, NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOR, RICE, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CARAMEL COLOR, WHEAT FLOUR, WHEAT GLUTEN, VEGETABLE OIL, VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, dl-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C*], VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], BIOTIN, d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), TRACE MINERALS (ZINC SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE)."

Even the first two ingredients in Natural Choice are better than the first two in Pedigree.

I'm not sure how much it is but when you feed a higher quality food, it usually balances out because less can be fed and if the change is drastic enough, there are less vet bills.

wolf_Q
10-29-2004, 12:18 AM
I'm assuming you are talking about Nutro Natural Choice dog food? I think it's a good food, I fed it to Nebo for a while. Around here I think it runs about 21.99 for a 20 lb bag.

Denyce
10-29-2004, 08:32 AM
If it is the Nutro Natural Choice that is what we are feeding Seqouia also. She seems to like it alright. She isn't a real fan of dog treats and such. So the fact that at some point of each day she finally cleans out her bowl says to me she likes it. :)

I have never had a dog so uncaring about dog food. We only put about 2 cups in each morning and she doesn't finish it until sometime during the night. We also give her some canned food in her Kong but if we put it with the dry she then eats too much at a time and throws it up. So she gets about a half a can of canned a day in 2 servings and about 2 cups or so of the dry.

Her coat has improved dramatically once WE started feeding her. I don't know what her previous owners fed her. I was told they didn't feed her much at all and she would go for a week or more with no food. *shrug* She doesn't behave like a food deprived dog at all and her body condition wasn't horrible.

But her coat was in terrible shape. It was almost completely white with very rough long hair. She has so much undercoat it was over 2 inches thick in some places and falling out by the handfuls.

Now on the Nutros she is gleaming. Her coat is now a very thick dark red that is so plush I love to rub my bare feet on her back. She is soft and silky and it isn't falling out by the handfuls anymore. Her tail is still the coarse hair that was all over her body before. She has also put on about 5-10 pounds. She is still trim but is a little "thicker" than she was. You can't feel her backbone anymore.

See here is my beautiful girl

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/TheMightyHuntress/271fb88f.jpg

So after all that rambling.....yes....we really like the Nutros Natural Dog Food.:D

Denyce

Denyce
10-29-2004, 08:34 AM
Oh and we pay about 17.00 for 25 pounds at Petco for it. The first bag lasted about 2 months. She is way cheaper to feed than the cats. Oh and she only poops about once a day on it so there is much less waste.

Denyce

anna_66
10-29-2004, 08:47 AM
Denyce, Seqouia is gorgeous!

Denyce
10-29-2004, 09:28 AM
Thanks anna_66,

I had a feeling you might have missed the thread where I introduced her. Someone on there said you would love her.

If I had any idea of how to link a thread I would but it is titled "Our New rescue husky Sequoia." Her story is there. We just love her so much and are so very proud of her.

Denyce

mruffruff
10-29-2004, 09:36 AM
I use the Senior for two of my dogs and pay 17.85 at Pet Supplies Plus for a 15 lb bag and the light for the other one, same price.

They are all shiny and healthy. In fact, Samson's allergies are better than with other foods.

Mary

Kona & Oreo's mom
10-29-2004, 11:03 AM
Oreo eats Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed and loves it.

greysandmoregreys
10-29-2004, 11:21 AM
My crew eats the Nutro's Natural Lamb and Rice.

They all love it and we hear all the time about how soft there coats are and how great they look.

All my dogs (females 60lbs-males 90lbs) get 1c in the morning and 1c at night with some can food mixed in for flavor.

I SWEAR by Nutros!!!! Small stool amount, great coats, no upset tummys. They love it

The other nice thing about Nutro's is they often are handing out coupons to save $5 off a bag of food. 40lb bag normally cost about $26.00 where we are.

Nutro's also sells food for sensitive tummys that from what I hear works real well too.

I would definately switch from the Pedigree to the Nutro's.

sammy101
10-29-2004, 03:40 PM
Yes Nutro! thanks you all your replys.its not too expensive,i guess.

Denyce Seqouia is beautiful!

Theres a big difference in ingredience,and Nutro sounds alot healthier than Pedigree!