PDA

View Full Version : Magoo is gonna give me a Heart Attack!!

catcrazylady
10-28-2004, 06:34 PM
Just when I thought he couldn't do anything else....I know, I know, I've said this so many times before and he keeps on surprising me, but I really didn't think there was anything else here he could get into. I was wrong AGAIN!
I know I said I didn't treat him like he was handicapped but I have had to the last few nights. I'm afraid he is going to get hurt.
He has found two new windows that need to be investigated. I'm sorry I don't have pictures of him in these windows but I'm frantically running to stand by his side and get him down when he's ready.
He finally figured out how to get in this window. He gets on the speaker, then the table, then in the window. Coming down isn't going to be that easy! If he misses any step then he is going to be near an awful lot of sharp corners!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid144/p1a741dfe5bdb16990993d71d43c227bd/f6787cb4.jpg

This is as far as I got with pictures!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid143/pd7f51134e1b146a8eb8ff082a84dc24d/f6a019b0.jpg

He has done this several times in the last few weeks and I have been sweating it everytime. Last night he pulled a new one on me and hubby. We heard all this racket in the bathroom and Maggie Sue came flying out of there. We assumed she cleared off the back of the toilet but we were wrong! Hubby looked in and I saw a shocked look on his face. I asked him what was wrong and he couldn't answer. I went and looked and Magoo was in the window!!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid144/pa91930f28b7fbc80df56d977214443b9/f6787cbe.jpg

He jumped onto the toilet, then the tank, and then into the window! He really could get hurt coming down so we got him out of the window! This boy is making me a nervous wreck! I usually close my eyes and just let him do his thing but I just couldn't with these two windows! Can you believe him?!

What? What'd I do? You guys are such worry warts! GEESH!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid143/pcb5084486df5b515801ff4553aa46107/f68bdbcb.jpg

See that rolled up sock on the floor? Hubby keeps a supply of rolled up socks to throw at Leroy when he is in the window pulling on the screen. It keeps us from having to get up every five minutes! I don't think it's working though because Leroy thinks it's a game. :rolleyes:

RedHedd
10-28-2004, 06:42 PM
Oh Magoo! Life is never boring with cats around, but who knew it would be so er, um, *exciting* :rolleyes: with a blind cat! Oh Magoo! BEHAVE! :p

kimlovescats
10-28-2004, 06:45 PM
Lisa, I really think Magoo will be fine ... but I can certainly understand how worried he makes you! He's pretty well padded from bumps and such .... as long as he doesn't hit glass or anything extremely sharp! Try to let him venture on his own, as hard as it may seem .... I can only guess it is just like letting a toddler loose on his feet the first few times ... you know they are gonna fall, but it just kills you to watch!!!:eek: ;)

Freckles
10-28-2004, 06:49 PM
What is so appealing about windows? Does he feel the cold pane?
Or in the summer, heat comes through the windows?

RICHARD
10-28-2004, 06:54 PM
And what makes you think living with one sighted cat is a picnic???;)

My only worry would be the 'Gooster falling into the open toilet!

I love the fact that you close your eyes when he's up to exploring...

Some words of wisdom???

Buy some hair dye and relax!!!!!;) :) :D

catcrazylady
10-28-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Freckles
What is so appealing about windows? Does he feel the cold pane?
Or in the summer, heat comes through the windows?

The weather has been gorgeous so we have the windows open as much as possible. He will sit on the floor and sniff up towards the window and if thinks it's open then up he goes. To watch him in the window you would never know he was blind because he sits there "looking" out. I guess he likes the fresh air.

Kim, I have tried to let him alone with everything he does but I have to draw the line on these two windows. Nothing is centered and he never tries to come down the same way he went up. I just can't close my eyes on this one. I've tried!:eek: Somebody at work asked me if I would like to video him during the day while we are at work and my answer was NO WAY!! I don't want to know what he does!;) :D :D

catcrazylady
10-28-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
And what makes you think living with one sighted cat is a picnic???;)

My only worry would be the 'Gooster falling into the open toilet!

I love the fact that you close your eyes when he's up to exploring...

Some words of wisdon???

Buy some hair dye and relax!!!!!;) :) :D

When the toilet lid is up he just walks around the outer rim!
We have lots of other windows he can get in but he prefers a challenge!

btw-I just did my hair over the weekend and it didn't help!;) :D

RICHARD
10-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by catcrazylady

btw-I just did my hair over the weekend and it didn't help!;) :D

Ah, the prices we pay for caring for the little ones!

christa
10-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Magoo, sweetheart, don't give your meowmie a heart attack!!!

;)

Lisa, you've got a special guy there, but you don't need me to tell you that! Every Magoo story you tell me amazes me more and more.

Kisses to Magoo!!!

rg_girlca
10-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Oh Magoo sweetie, why are you giving your meowmie a heart attack, with everything she has done for you. I know you don't realize you are doing it and you don't mean it, but please, please be careful with what you are doing. Do you think once the windows are closed and he can't smell the air, that he will stop jumping onto the window sill?

Lisa, I got nervous just reading what you had posted. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I don't blame you for being nervous, but have you tried to watch and see if he could make it down without any injury by you staying close by.

Does this cat have NO limits????? The amazing Magoo, you gotta love him.:) and boy do I ever. :D

Laura's Babies
10-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Magoo! HOW in the world do you EVER figure all that out to get up to those places?? That is amazing?? Are you sure you are as blind as they say you are?? I am beginning to wonder about that!!! WOW!! How do you do it??

This is exactly WHY this boy is my HERO, my Inspiration and my LOVE!! I guess in his mind Meowmie is the one with a problem... he don't seem to have any!!:D

catcrazylady
10-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Laura it's amazing to watch him. He takes those big hairy paws and feels the surface first and then jumps. It is really funny to watch him check out the toilet to make sure the lid is down. He reaches way into the middle and feels all around before he jumps. This boy ain't stupid! I think he would be on the roof if he could find a way up there!

Lorraine, I usually run to the window and wait for him to try to get down. He never goes to the right spot and I'm so afraid he is going to come down between the speaker and table. That speaker has a sharp edge all the way around and then the table edge as well as the wrought iron legs that stick out.
The bathroom is a whole other problem! The window is not centered behind the toilet and right on the other side is the sink. In between is the garbage can and toilet paper holder so there is no safe place for Goo to get down!

When we help him get down he stomps off in a huff and lays down. He does not like to be rescued!!! Little Stinker!

trayi52
10-28-2004, 08:08 PM
Just goes to show how special Magoo is!

Willie:D

Pam
10-28-2004, 08:27 PM
Is it possible that Magoo has been given a compensating extra "gift?" I only say that because I remember reading somewhere that when one loses one of their senses the other ones become more attuned to their particular circumstance. I wonder if maybe sound or something aids this little guy somehow. I know that whiskers act sort of as a guide although I am not exactly sure how that works. Anyone know? No matter what the reason, he amazes me every time I see him. I can only imagine what it would be like to live with him. Give him a scritch for me. :)

Richard, why do men insist on leaving toilet lids up?! :rolleyes: :mad: :p :D This is getting way off topic but last weekend my little grandson (3 yrs. old) was over and had to go potty. When he walked into our bathroom the seat was up and I heard him say "Uh Oh." (He is used to sitting down for everything). I saw an opportunity to try something new here and asked him if he would like to go potty like his daddy does (standing up) and lo and behold he did. I guess that was one time when it was beneficial. :rolleyes:

QueenScoopalot
10-28-2004, 08:42 PM
Maybe you need to throw in the towel, and create some stairs for Magoo! He amazes me in all that he can do. :eek: I'm sure when you're at work, he's navigating through all these new places yet to be discovered! ;)

Uniqueviking
10-28-2004, 10:11 PM
He is just too cute for words, the little Magoo... and I love reading about him. He always cracks me up.

How about getting one of those padded baby bumper guards (for cribs) and tie around the speakers ;)

LOL @ the rolled up socks!

catmandu
10-29-2004, 09:20 AM
That is pretty scary,as Sctrappy Magoo,not only might hurt himself,but knock something fragile,onto the floor,and someone could step,on it! Scarppy did that,with a glass,one day,and Pouncer stepped,on it,and needed a Vet Visit! I will tell Scarppy angel,to warn,his protege!

jazzcat
10-29-2004, 11:14 AM
That is pretty amazing. I guess he's just that kind of exploring kittty. Scout has been over a year and she still hasn't jumped up on hardly anything (of course her short legs are part of the reason) but mainly she's just not a curious exploring kitty. I guess sight or no sight doesn't matter when it's in the blood.

Be careful Magoo and stop scaring your meowmie!

NKBurlington
10-29-2004, 11:54 AM
I can certainly understand how you must feel! I'd be paranoid as well that he might hurt himself. I'd be terribly worried about him.

It's amamzing how well he gets along though and how curious he is.

Amazing!

guster girl
10-29-2004, 03:03 PM
I know this is not a new thread, but, I was just reading through some of the posts. Maybe you could buy those padded corners to put on the corners you think could be a danger. Like the ones they make for babies and kids. Just a thought. :)

catfamily
10-29-2004, 03:27 PM
I'm like you.Worry worry worry.It use to make Mike crazy the way I worry.But now recently I found Mike is picking up my worry habbits.We get so involved with our cats.I think you may want to put hooks on the right side of each window for the strings where the blinds are, so when the blinds are up the string is further away from the window so they don't hang themselves by accident.I did that and it made me sleep better.And if your worried about sharp furniture or objects...you might have to find another place for them until you can figure something out.All cats love the windows so you may have to move things and Jan had a great idea for steps.Yikess!!!! All this work .LOL