PDA

View Full Version : Kurby's Hurt!

K & L
10-28-2004, 09:54 AM
I got an e-mail from the park officials saying Kurby was limping really bad. We tried for several nights to capture him and finally succeeded last night. Kevin's taking him to the vet this morning. We noticed a lump on the side of his leg so hoping it isn't broke.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid79/pdb0b2f70018baaffae1800e747bcfe8d/fb0d20e4.jpg

catnapper
10-28-2004, 09:55 AM
Poor Kirby! Please don't let him be seriously hurt!

Barbara
10-28-2004, 09:57 AM
Oh I hope you can trap him soon so that you can find out what's wrong with his pawsie.

Uniqueviking
10-28-2004, 09:58 AM
He is beautiful!

Best wishes to Kurby. I hope he is not seriously hurt.

kimlovescats
10-28-2004, 11:27 AM
Oh, beautiful Kirby .... I hope it's nothing too serious, and he is back to himself in not time! Please keep us updated, Lisa!;)

Laura's Babies
10-28-2004, 01:22 PM
What a beautiful boy! Update as soon as you find anything out PLEASE!

jenluckenbach
10-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Oh Kurby, you know I have been in love with you since I first saw you. I hope you can get all fixed up and start feeling better real fast.

K & L
10-28-2004, 04:35 PM
The vet just called and they're having problems getting Kurby to cooperate (he's feral) so they will have to put him out in order to exam him. We don't know anything at this point!:(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-28-2004, 05:14 PM
Oh no, Kurby! Please don't fight the white coats. They're only trying to help you and won't hurt you a bit.

He sure is a beautiful boy and I sure hope it's nothing serious. :(

catcrazylady
10-28-2004, 05:31 PM
OH NO! Poor Kurby! He is a GORGEOUS kitty! I hope it's nothing serious. Kurby is in our prayers!!

rg_girlca
10-28-2004, 08:19 PM
Poor Kurby. How scared he must be.

He is such a gorgeous looking cat. I pray that all will be well with him.

christa
10-28-2004, 08:26 PM
Poor Kurby! Hope everything turns out all right!

Keep us posted!

K & L
10-28-2004, 11:17 PM
Kurby has a dislocated left hip. Try as they did, the vet could not reposition it back in its socket.

The prescribed corrective action is to surgically remove the top of the 'hip bone'. With cats, the bone is pretty quickly replaced by cartilege (or something) that becomes rigid enough that it acts just like the removed bone. (We had to have this done with one of our other cats and you can't tell by the way he walks or jumps that there was ever anything wrong with it. We can't remember which hip was operated upon.)

The problem is that Kurby is a feral - though friendly enough that he'll let Kevin pet him. Even if we could afford to have the operation performed, we'd need to nurse him for at least a few weeks. Ever tried to nurse/medicate a feral cat?

We're faced with either getting the hip fixed or putting him down.

Right now we're leaning toward getting the hip fixed - he's only a year and a half old and has good prospects for a successful recovery with fewer complications (less or milder arthritis). We need to figure out where he'll stay and how we'll medicate him. There's a slight possibility, given his youth and friendliness with Kevin, that he may tame up somewhat and we could adopt him out, away from the park.

kimlovescats
10-28-2004, 11:20 PM
Oh my, Lisa .... what a challenge indeed. Good luck! Come on Kurby .... you be a good boy and let Kevin help you out!;)

Laura's Babies
10-29-2004, 07:26 AM
Awwww! I hope you can figure something out so that he can get that hip fixed and get a good home. Give him time, he will tame down.. Maybe tame him BEFORE surgery and actively work on taming him for a few weeks?

Cataholic
10-29-2004, 08:03 AM
OHHHH>........I hope things work out the best for Kurby. Who knows..this may be the turning point for him. Good luck.

catmandu
10-29-2004, 09:10 AM
We pray,that you can help Kurby,and get him,the Furr Ever Home,that he deserves!We know,that you are doing your best,and that you,are the only Friends,that Kurby has!