PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from the vet!

DogLover9501
10-27-2004, 03:48 PM
We just got back from the vet a little while ago with Jasper!

He ran out of Prednisone, he's now on a new drug called Vanectyl P, which only has 2mg's of Pred, and he was taking 5mg's before.

He also weighed in at 59.3 LBs!

He met a little tiny silky terrier puppy, and was very gentle ;) :D

Just a little update, please hope that these pills will work so he can have less Pred!

K9soul
10-27-2004, 03:49 PM
I haven't heard of Vanectyl before. Sure hope it works so he can be on a smaller dose of prednisone :). Glad you had a good vet visit!

Miranda_Rae
10-27-2004, 03:53 PM
Are these for his allergies? What is Pred? I don't know. I hope they work too! :D Kissies Jasper. Wow! Heidi weighs more than him! :eek: She weighs 62 lbs!

DogLover9501
10-27-2004, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by Miranda_Rae
Are these for his allergies? What is Pred? I don't know. I hope they work too! :D Kissies Jasper. Wow! Heidi weighs more than him! :eek: She weighs 62 lbs!

Yeah they're for his itching, We aren't actually sure if it's an alergy or a skin problem. Prednisone is a steroid that has alot of bad side affects and effects every organ, and shortens their life. I want him to have as less of that as possible!!

Also I'm glad Jasper is putting some weight on, he was so skinny, he's at a good size now, but the bad part is that his head and chest aren't even filled out yet :eek:, I think he's going to be somewhere around 70 LBs after that.

Glacier
10-27-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Miranda_Rae
Are these for his allergies? What is Pred? I don't know.

Prednisone is a steriod. It's a powerful anti-inflammatory drug. It's commonly used for skin allergies in dogs--one of mine takes it during the summer. It takes the inflammation out of the skin so the dog doesn't want to scratch. It's used for lots of other things too. It's used alot in humans as well. In general it works extremely well, but it has many side effects, some of them can be serious so it has to be used carefully.

tatsxxx11
10-27-2004, 05:46 PM
Sounds like you had an encouraging trip to the vet's today Jasper:) Good boy, packing on the extra weight! I hope he responds well to this new drug and the lower dosage:) Hugs to you Jasper!:)