PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a pet will?

Uniqueviking
10-27-2004, 09:07 AM
I'm in the process of having one made. It was brought to my attention by my parents who saw a segment on TV re. pet wills.

I live on my own with my 5 furbabies, and even though my family has a key to my place in case I'm not home and something happens, this pet will is a really great idea.

It's set up by an pet and animal care organisation here in Denmark called "Dyrefondet" (the animal foundation).

What you do is write a will saying Dyrefundet will be given all rights to your pet(s) in case something happens or in case of your death.
All details on each pet is in the will (Their personality, health history and things like that) and you then state what you want to happen in case of your death or an accident. Dyrefondet will then go collect the pets and care for them according to your wishes stated in the will.

They've also provided posters and stickers I can put up on the doors here in case police, fire department or ambulance people need emergency access to my place so they can see there are live animals inside.

Just thought I'd share this very good idea :)

catmandu
10-27-2004, 09:14 AM
The Found Cats,are covered,buy a 100,000 Dolar Insurance Policy,and after I join,the ound Cat Angels,thety will live,in the Pampered Feline,with Deluxe Accomidations,Outdoor Cat Runs,and All The Premium Food,and Temptations,that they can eat! I never want,to see them,in cages,begging,for a New Home!

Samantha Puppy
10-27-2004, 09:19 AM
Samantha would be devastated at not only losing me, but being separated from my husband and family. In the event of my untimely death, she is to stay in my husband's care unless he feels unable to continue caring for her in the manner in which I did. In that case, she is to go to my parents and live with them. She loves them to pieces and while I know she'd miss me, she would be happy and spoiled the rest of her days.

Laura's Babies
10-27-2004, 12:59 PM
I think about this a lot! I think it is bad enough that a pet looses their human but to have to be taken out of the home they are use to really bothers me. I have been thinking about setting it up where my babies get my house and whoever takes care of them, gets to live here, rent free. I just am not sure how to go about doing it, how to set it up ect.

Catsnclay
10-27-2004, 02:43 PM
We have a general pet clause in our will. What that means is, all of our pets at the time of our death will get our money first, for their health and well being for the rest of their natural life. We also specified that they were not to be seperated, they all had to stay together.

I know for a fact if we go first some of my family members would not think twice about getting "rid" of the cats. They are not pet-friendly people, so to avoid any problems, we had this written in our will.

:o There are also going to be some very dissapointed people when they read our will............

carole
10-27-2004, 02:49 PM
I have not made any provisions for my cats in my will, but you have given me something to think about, I am soon going to be in the process of re-doing our will, so I am going to mention them, I feel ok knowing that my children and my parents and sister are all animal lovers and would see that they were ok,but yes I am going to make my wishes concerning them clear, thank you for bringing this up.

catland
10-27-2004, 03:52 PM
This is something that I have also neglected to do for our kitties and is something that I should do.

We have however, promised my my husband's parents and aunt that if anything should happen to them, we will take in their kitties.

We can't promise that we would keep them but we would make sure to find them a good home if we can't so that they would not end up in a cage at a shelter.

catmandu
10-28-2004, 08:53 AM
You should,as my Lawyer,a friend,of the Animal Welfare told me,have it in writing,so there are no loose ends,and the Cats,go where you want them,to be!

BitsyNaceyDog
10-28-2004, 11:05 AM
I have plans for all of my crew, but nothing in writing. I have just told my best friend where everyone should go. Justin and I should sit down and write something up and even get a will as we don't have one.