PDA

View Full Version : engineered hypo-allergenic cats

Paul
10-26-2004, 05:13 PM
   Allerca (http://www.allerca.com/) is taking orders for genetically engineered hypo-allergenic cats for delivery in 2007. The first breed of hypoallergenic cat produced will be the British Shorthair for $3,500.

A glycoprotein, Fel d 1, secreted by the sebaceous glands, is the major cat allergen. This allergen is found in the fur, pelt, saliva, serum, urine, mucous, salivary glands, and hair roots of the cat.

Using patented genetic technology, the ALLERCA team will focus on the particular gene that produces the Fel d 1 glycoprotein. Using a technique known as “gene silencing”, the process reduces the gene’s ability to produce the protein.

Other genetic methods may produce allergen-fee cats, but these procedures rely on nuclear transfer (cloning) and may result in associated known risks prevalent in cloned animals. The gene silencing method adopted by ALLERCA is regarded as the most effective method of producing healthy hypoallergenic animals and is considered harmless to the cat.

Every pet is special.

Paul

jenluckenbach
10-26-2004, 06:08 PM
that is fascinating. :)

Miranda_Rae
10-26-2004, 07:59 PM
$3,500? :eek: :eek: My goodness, thats expensive!

Twisterdog
10-26-2004, 08:22 PM
You know, that is very interesting to me.

I am deathly allergic to cats ... as in an emergency room visit.

I've always wondered ... if I hadn't been allergic to cats all my life ... would I now be a "cat person" as well as a "dog person"? I've never paid much attention to cats, knowing I could never touch, pet or own one.

Wouldn't that be fascinating if I might someday actually own a cat?

sammy101
10-26-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Miranda_Rae
$3,500? :eek: :eek: My goodness, thats expensive!

ditto!!:eek:

Tonya
10-26-2004, 09:29 PM
I'd pay a pretty penny if they can convert my existing cats into hypo-allergenic. :D

KYS
10-26-2004, 10:20 PM
I'm allergic to cats too.
The price would have to come down a LOT!!!

Karen
10-26-2004, 10:26 PM
I want there to be some way they can, like Tonya suggested, convert a cat to being hypoallergenic. Maybe some day ...

smokey the elder
10-27-2004, 09:37 AM
That is really cool. I like how they are taking the precaution of spaying/neutering the cats. However, if the "knockout" gene is dominant, they could crossbreed to regular cats and create a large hypoallergenic gene pool!