PDA

View Full Version : Kitten Sneezes good or bad

mina'smomma
10-26-2004, 08:40 AM
I was laying in bed last night reading when Mina jumped up and layed down next to me. All of sudden she sneezed really loud. Should I be concerned, or is it normal? I know I'm being a silly paranoid meowmie, but if my baby needs medical attention I want to give it to them.

Samantha Puppy
10-26-2004, 08:43 AM
If she is still active and playful and still has a good appetite, don't worry. If she starts becoming listless and won't play or eat, it's time to go to the white coats.

sirrahbed
10-26-2004, 08:45 AM
Hard to say! Both of my kittens sneeze on occasion - at least a few times a day. But I have had them to the vet twice now(for problem at the other end) and asked about the sneezes. He did a swab from each nostril and checked in under the microsope and said all four smears were perfectly clear, yet they still sneeze. He felt that they were either allergies to the new environment or else reactions to excessive digging in their litterpan (YES they are diggers!!) and they have no other respiratory symptoms and nothing has gotten worse. So, I would say to watch Mina for any other symptoms like runny or crusty nose, increased sneezing or runny eyes. The sneezing may or may not be anything at all - just watch and see:)

catmandu
10-26-2004, 08:51 AM
One Good Sneeze,wouldnt bother me,unless there is ign,of nasal blockage!A lot,of little sneeezies,would concern,me a lot more!

catnapper
10-26-2004, 09:15 AM
One sneeze is a one time thing. Harry was sneezing a lot last week. I asked the rescue I got him through and they sid to wait a day and if he was still sneezing to take him to the vet. He stopped, so no need to take him. Just keep an eye on how many sneezes and how often. Keep an eye out for other symptoms like watery eyes or lots of snot.

jazzcat
10-26-2004, 10:58 AM
Rocky and Rumor sneeze from time to time but they are fine. I think the may stir up a little dust when they run under things or maybe the dust from the litter irritates them. Jazz had a URI as a kitten and her sneezes were frequent, snotty and accompanied by gunky eyes, listlessness and lack of appetite.

QueenScoopalot
10-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Sneezing is often very common. Kitties who've had a recent FVRCP vaccination tend to sneeze some for several days after. Dust etc. can also cause them to sneeze, as it does us. As long as Mina's eating fine, and has no signs of yellow/greenish nasal discharge, I wouldn't worry any. ;) If it progresses to a colored discharge, then it's a bacterial infection, and antibiotics are needed. Putting a kitty on antibiotics frequently can lead to an immunity to the antibiotic should they REALLY need it. ;)

Craftlady
10-26-2004, 05:08 PM
Spring and Fall we get the sneezes on occassion when heat first goes off and a/c comes on for spring/summer. Then when the heat first comes on in fall/winter. Keeping up on furnace filters and vacuming the registors which are on the floor (great hair collectors) :( is a full time job. :rolleyes: