PDA

View Full Version : T & J have fleas.... !!!!!

Sara luvs her Tinky
10-26-2004, 07:26 AM
I noticed Tinky and Jupiter scratchin a little bit here lately... and yesterday I was cuddlin with Tinky and I saw a *FLEA* walking around in her neck fur...:eek: :( :(

What is the best flea medicine I can get for them????
Or how do flea collars work..?? They don't wear collars so I don't imagine they would appreciate them too much.

:( :eek: :( :eek: :(

Logan
10-26-2004, 07:43 AM
Are you using Frontline or Advantage on them, Sara? That would be what I would choose to do. We do it monthly on all the dogs and the cats (of course, my cats do go outdoors, so I must).

Hope the itchy babies will be flea free in no time!

Logan

Killearn Kitties
10-26-2004, 07:57 AM
It is Frontline I use as well. A little squirt on the back of the neck and they will be fine again. :D

Sara luvs her Tinky
10-26-2004, 08:08 AM
o.k. Thanks!!

I guess I will pick up some frontline today at walmart.

I know there is some kind of flea medicine that can be harmful... but I couldn't remember the name... i think it is HARTZ isn't it??

Either way.. if you guys use frontline then I know it is safe... and my babies deserve the BEST!!!:D

catmandu
10-26-2004, 08:22 AM
I would try advantage,and then,the Ova Collars,from,the Vets,to keep,the fles,off!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-26-2004, 09:59 AM
Oh no! Poor itchy babies. :(

Fortunately I've never had to use any type of flea treatment, but I know people here use either Frontline or Advantage. And yes, I believe it is Hartz that is dangerous. Good luck getting rid of the critters 'cause from what I've heard, it's not easy because once they're on the cats they're in the house, so you might have to do the flea treatment for quite awhile to make sure they're gone for good.

Hugs and smoochies to both of your sweeties. :)

Logan
10-26-2004, 10:03 AM
Can you buy Frontline at WalMart? If so, I need to know it! It is quite expensive to treat 4 big dogs and 2 cats everymonth! I have always ordered mine from a Pet Supply company or bought it from the vet.

Sara luvs her Tinky
10-26-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Logan
Can you buy Frontline at WalMart? If so, I need to know it! It is quite expensive to treat 4 big dogs and 2 cats everymonth! I have always ordered mine from a Pet Supply company or bought it from the vet.

You know i really don't know... i just assumed...
You can buy "everything" at walmart.

If i find it there i will let you know.

jazzcat
10-26-2004, 10:31 AM
I don't think you can buy it at Walmart but you can at most Petstores and of course it's cheaper to buy it online.

I use Advantage on my dog and so far as long as I keep her flea free I don't need it on the cats but I do use it on my Dad's cat Miss Kitty. Which reminds me I need to get her more, thanks.

Fox-Gal
10-26-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Logan
Can you buy Frontline at WalMart? If so, I need to know it! It

No can't buy it at Walmart. PetSmart and Pet Supermarket sells it, I know that much. I get mine on-line, so much cheaper, but if they have fleas now you really can't wait for shipping.

If you can't get it right away, you can always use that Bio-Spot till you find Frontline or Advanage. It's not the best, but it works, till you can get the good stuff in.

Sara luvs her Tinky
10-26-2004, 12:20 PM
Thanks everybody for your help.

T and J have never had fleas before!! I feel terrible that they do now... I hope i don't have any trouble getting rid of them!!!
I have to go by Pet Smart for some food... so I will check with their vet office to see if they have any frontline or advantage..

sirrahbed
10-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Sara - I was horrified when I found fleas on Emily last year! The vet just laughed and said I could have easily brought them in on my shoes or clothing. All it took was one application of Advantage to each cat and the fleas disappeared with the day. He had said if too many eggs had been laid - one more treatment might be needed the next month but very unlikely. The new products (like Frontline, Revolution, Advantage) - drops to place betwen the shoulders - are 100% better than what we had even ten years ago. Amazing, effective, easy and QUICK.:D

Someone here had a cat with a bad allergic reaction to Revolution - it burned the skin and caused hairloss - so I have heard it is good to place the drops in various places rather than all in one concentrated spot - all between the shoulders but a bit apart from each other.

jazzcat
10-26-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by sirrahbed
Someone here had a cat with a bad allergic reaction to Revolution - it burned the skin and caused hairloss - so I have heard it is good to place the drops in various places rather than all in one concentrated spot - all between the shoulders but a bit apart from each other.
That was my Scout. Here's a picture of what Revolution did to her when the vet tech applied it all in one spot. It burned her skin and I had to put ointment on for a couple of weeks.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/scoutscar.jpg

ramanth
10-26-2004, 01:47 PM
Oh no! Poor T & J. :(

I use Frontline for Zam and Logan. :)

Hope everyone is flea free soon!

krazyaboutkatz
10-26-2004, 11:31 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that T&J have fleas.:( I've been using advantage for years and haven't had any problems since. I buy the large dog kind and then measure it so it lasts a long time and is cheaper too. You'd need to ask your vet about this though.:) I've heard that both Hartz and Biospot are not safe for animals. Good luck.:)