PDA

View Full Version : My Vet Prescibed Storm The Wrong Diet

krazyaboutkatz
10-26-2004, 12:48 AM
Hi everyone. I haven't been online much lately because I've been quite busy and have also been having some computer problems. I found out on Sunday Oct. 17th that my vet had prescibed the wrong food for Storm's crystal problem. I just happened to be at an emergency clinic with a friend of mine and we were visiting her male cat Tigger. He had complete blockage and had the struvite crystals. I then started talking to both vets about what Storm had gone through and that they found calcium oxalate crystals and that my vet prescribed the Hills c/d diet. My vet also told me that the c/d diet would help both the struvite and calcium oxalate crystals. They both gasped and were very shocked because they said that he should be on the Hills x/d diet and that the c/d diet would make his crystals worse. I was quite upset and also quite concerned for poor Storm.:mad: :(

That night I researched all of the Hills Prescription diets on the internet and copied both the c/d and x/d diets. I also copied an article about calcium oxaltes which stated some different diets that would be appropriate for cats with them. I then copied the Waltham/Royal Canin S/O diet which is for both types of crystals. I also called the Hills company on Mon. morning and I asked them questions about the c/d and x/d diets and they agreed with both of the vets that I had talked to.

I made an appointment for Storm to have another urinalysis at my vet on Wed. My vet was away until Fri. but had another vet on call. The vet said that he didn't see any crystals and the lab report also didn't show any crystals. I also left my vet copies of the information that I had gotten from the internet. I spoke to my vet on Fri. afternoon and he basically denied everything. He agreed that the c/d diet would be bad for Storm but denied telling me to put him on it. I was so mad by this point but I just had to bite my tongue.:mad: I would never put my cat on this diet without my vet prescribing it. My furkids will never go back to this vet ever again.

I now have found a wonderful new vet's office that is very convenient to me and the office hours are also great.:) They have 3 different vets and are open M-F from 7am-7pm,Sat. from 8am-5pm and Sun. from 8am-4pm. They also have grooming available and have vaccination clinics every Sun. from 12pm-2pm. There office visits/exams are also $1.50 cheaper than my old vets and they're in a very large modern office. I'm so happy I found them.:)

I'm now feeding all 4 cats the Waltham/Royal Canin S/O dry food and I've also ordered the wet food that I'll use for treats.:) This vet hospital is also currently helping a friend and co-worker of mine's cat. Her cat broke her leg on Sat. and I found out about it on Sat. evening. She took her to emergency but she needs surgery so she needed to see a vet asap. I told her about this vet hospital and she was able to see a vet on Sunday. I guess that all of this has happened for a reason. Thanks for letting me vent and for reading this thread.:)

Also my friend needs some prayers and positive thoughts for her female cat Pepper. She's probably going to have surgery tomorrow. Her front leg is very badly broken and there also might be some nerve damage. Thanks.

aly
10-26-2004, 12:53 AM
How scary!!! Good for you for doing that research and confronting him about it. Its really too bad he lied and denied it :eek: I hope you'll be much happier with your new vet :)

slick
10-26-2004, 12:57 AM
Oh Tracey, I'm sorry you've had to go through all of this. :( :( I'm so glad that you found another vet that certainly sounds more trustworthy. Prayers on the way. Also please tell your friend that more Canadian prayers are being said for dear Pepper. May the sir jury go well.

catfamily
10-26-2004, 01:15 AM
OMG ,Thank You for this info.I have my Tucker that I worry about urinary problems in the future and was going to change EVERYONE to Hills C/D.Everyone including vets say it's for Urinary trac problems.I'll look up all the info you told me.All my cats love dry food but I have Tucker who has urine problems, and Colby who is too fat and Rosco that gained to much weight to worry about them all getting sick in the future.I'd rather spend a fortune on the best for my 10 cats then risk anything.And just feed them wet when they want and have the special food always out for security on the kitchen floor.
Could you email me if I cannot find the correct info?
I just looked up waltham Diets and found:Waltham/Royal Canin S/O dry food Urinary SO 30.Is that the correct one?It sounds great for cats with real problems like yours but might not be good for all my 10 cats.The Contraindications:Growing kittens,Pregnant or lactating queens(Which I don't have) and Concurrent use of urinary acidifiers..which would be my worry for my normal cats.I wish I could find a perfect food that would be great and nutricious for ALL my cats.Waltham is an excellent food.Probably the best.Maybe they have a regular cat food for them,as it is so nutricious.
It looks like Royal Canin Waltham Sesitivity Control may be best for my home.I always thought of Waltham as one of the best pet foods in the world.I'm hoping my vet will agree on it and let me order it to be delivered to my home with a prescription.

mina'smomma
10-26-2004, 08:31 AM
If my vet did that I would leave too. That is just sooooo irrresponsible.!!!:mad: I'm glad you found a new vet that will treat your cats like they should.

catmandu
10-26-2004, 08:37 AM
That is the wonder,of the internet,that you can do research,that much more quickly,and find out,about the food.,taht your Cats need! And that Vet,he should have known better! We are glad,that you got a new White Coat,who is a little more,up to date!

neko1
10-26-2004, 08:37 AM
Ahhh brings back horrible memories....

When Neko first got blocked, we took him to an emergency clinic.. well the stupid vet there also put him on the wrong food (the C/D:mad: ) And 2 weeks later, poor thing was blocked again! So we were able to take him to our regular vet who then put him on Waltham S/O. This was almost 7 years ago and he's been fine ever since:)

kimlovescats
10-26-2004, 08:52 AM
Wow, Tracey, what an ordeal you've been through!:rolleyes:
Well, I'm glad you did your homework and now have your kitties with a new and proper vet clinic! Good job, Catmom!;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
10-26-2004, 10:08 AM
What an ordeal! I'm so glad you took the time to do the research and make sure you know what's best for Storm. We trust doctors and vets and take their word for things, but it's always good to be an informed patient. He seemed to not like the fact that you confronted him and questioned him - but it sounds like it's all for the best since you now found a nice new vet who might actually fit into your schedule a bit better.

I'm glad to hear Storm is still doing well and will keep your friends' kitties in my thoughts and prayers. :)

jazzcat
10-26-2004, 10:37 AM
Wow, things do happen for a reason. I'm so glad Storm didn't suffer due to this vet's mistake and I'm really glad you've found a much better vet.

Prayers on the way for Pepper. Please let us know how she is doing.

krazyaboutkatz
10-26-2004, 11:01 AM
Thanks for your replies everyone.:) I'm just so glad that I caught this in time so Storm didn't have a relapse. So far everyone is doing well and they all love the new food. The food also makes them drink more water and make a lot more pee biscuits so it helps to flush out their systems. The Waltham/Royal Canin S/O is safe to feed to healthy cats or else I wouldn't be feeding it to both Sunny and Sky. I'll update you when I can about Pepper.:)

Sara luvs her Tinky
10-26-2004, 12:03 PM
Poor Storm!

It is a good thing you caught it in time... I wonder what your vet was thinking when he prescribed that diet :confused:

Well if anything it is good that you have found a vet that you like and close by too!:)

kuhio98
10-26-2004, 12:18 PM
I'm SO glad that Storm suffered any problems from this mistake. What's wrong with people? There is nothing wrong with making a mistake. We're only human. But, I'm glad you've found another vet. Hopefully this one will learn from his/her mistakes.

Great job on the research! By passing it on to your old vet, who knows how many other babies you saved from painful crystals.

AmberLee
10-26-2004, 03:17 PM
OMG!!! So glad to hear that Storm hasn't been affected by the mistake. Sheesh! I'll call or PM you when I get in tonight, okay? I'm taking a class in Mountain View, so I'll probably be late. I guess PMing is better... Hang in there.

gini
10-26-2004, 05:39 PM
Tracey, thank goodness you had the intelligence to start talking to the second vet and discover this. Of course, your own research is priceless.

I have been going to the same vet for years............but certain things have happened that make me wonder..........and he is very expensive.

I am just so glad that you got to the bottom of this and now have all your babies on the same "good" diet.