PDA

View Full Version : what profession or skill do you admire most....

carole
10-25-2004, 08:10 PM
As I was painstakingly taking up the hem of my son's Cricket pants (I am no sewer , believe me, and HATE it with a passion) I thought to myself I really admire Dressmakers, or in fact anyone that can sew well, it really does take skill and patience.

I took clothing in High School for three years and never finished one garment, I had the most horrible teacher, she was called Miss Fowler, a scowly , sarcastic young women , who I was terrified to ask anything, she always made one feel so dumb, and she was indeed nasty to everyone,maybe If I had a nice teacher I would beable to sew better.

By the time I had finished I was very irritable, one I cannot see to thread the needle, but my son did that, and Two the pants are so wide and floppy, it makes an already difficult job harder, needless to say he was pleased with them and went off to cricket and played well, his team won, and he was playing his mentor and two of his mates., I told him never again Scott,and demanded my payment of a paddle pop. lol.

So tell me about your most admired profession or skill and why?:)

Desert Arabian
10-25-2004, 08:28 PM
Police officers and fire fighters- they put their lives on the line every single day to keep us and our loved ones safe. Their family has to live with the fact that they may never see their loved one again once they walk out the door.

Closely followed...doctors, surgeons, and EMT's- they are the ones who save peoples lives, perform miracles, and bring people on the brink of death back to life. It is an extremely, extremely, extremely stressful job that keeps them up for days straight and away from family for long periods of time. A close adult friend of mine, Lynn, is a nurse in the emergency room at Froedtert (largest hospital in WI) and her horror stories make me wonder why the hell anyone would want to be in that career field sometimes.

KYS
10-25-2004, 08:31 PM
Oh geesh! this is a hard one, because their
are so many.
I would say those in the care giving/securitey fields such
as Doctors, nurses, police, teachers and firemen.

lizzielou742
10-25-2004, 08:33 PM
Singers!!!

aly
10-25-2004, 08:34 PM
Politicians!!!

HAH - kidding :D

All of ones mentioned above and more :) I have a great respect for everyone who does what they do well.

guster girl
10-25-2004, 08:56 PM
That is really difficult for me to answer. So, I won't directly. :) This is going to be pretty generic, but, it's how I feel, as I was just talking to a friend about it. I think, as long as someone does something that positively impacts other lives, and, enjoys doing whatever it is that they're good at (whether it's being a firefighter, a bartender, a doctor, a teacher, a musician, a poet, a painter, whatever), I admire them. If the person does what they do with passion, integrity, and, honesty, that's what makes me respect someone.

catnapper
10-25-2004, 10:28 PM
Hmmm... so many out there!

Teachers - my husband is one and people have no true clue as to what they do! People think they get all summer off... but thats not exactly true, plus they most often work more hours in a day than those working 9-5 jobs.

Accountants - I can't add 2+2 :o

Scientists - they study things in a way I've never be able to understand. They spend years and years working on the same question... and many itmes never find the answer! Too much concentration for my tatses! :p

captain
10-26-2004, 02:01 AM
Nurses ......

teenster3
10-27-2004, 09:02 PM
I don't know about professions but as far as SKILLS go:
I'd say anyone who helps out homeless, unwanted, needy animals. I just think they're absolute SAINTS for "helping creatures that can not defend themsleves."

I also think people who work with organizations like: missing children, orphanages, homeless shelters, food pantrys, etc. deserve appreciation!

I think guster girl had a good point too!

Tina ;)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
10-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
Police officers and fire fighters- they put their lives on the line every single day to keep us and our loved ones safe. Their family has to live with the fact that they may never see their loved one again once they walk out the door.

My sister is a police officer and I thank God that I have her every day that I do.

My sister said:

"If you want to be a hero, be a firefighter. You save lives, you save people's children, you save people's pets. But as a police officer, you're the bad guy. You take away parents from kids, you arrest people."

:( So true. :(

Miranda_Rae
10-27-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover

Closely followed...doctors, surgeons, and EMT's- they are the ones who save peoples lives, perform miracles, and bring people on the brink of death back to life. It is an extremely, extremely, extremely stressful job that keeps them up for days straight and away from family for long periods of time. A close adult friend of mine, Lynn, is a nurse in the emergency room at Froedtert (largest hospital in WI) and her horror stories make me wonder why the hell anyone would want to be in that career field sometimes.

I know this is going to sound really weird, but my cousin is a firefighter, an EMT worker, and he is also works with the police! :eek: He is one busy man! :)