PDA

View Full Version : I feel like a horrible dog-mom.

K9soul
10-25-2004, 06:01 PM
I'm going to try to collect my thoughts enough to post this, I just had the most horrible experience ever and I'm feeling like this is completely my fault.

I was working and Tasha was whining to go out. I got up to take her out but decided to put her out on the tie-out for a few minutes because I wasn't going out with her and I didn't want her to race to the edge of the yard and spaz at the neighbor kids if they were out. I clipped the lead on and told her okay and I didn't even have time to think or react, she shot out at full speed, I don't know if she saw a squirrel or what, she didn't know she was hooked up to the tie-out... she hit the end of the tie out at full speed, and hit the ground with a horrible thud. I cried out in sheer terror, I thought she had snapped her neck and I had gotten her killed. I ran out to her and she stumbled to her feet with vomit dripping out of her mouth and shaking. I screamed for David and he came running out, I couldn't coherently really tell him what happened I was so torn up and still terrified something horrible was wrong with her.

She seemed to snap out of her daze when she saw him and she started frantically licking my face because I was crying. She seemed okay at that point but I took her in and the vet tech looked her over (vet wasn't there) and said there didn't appear to be any injury and just to watch her.

She seems completely normal now, she's laying here relaxing, but I can't get over it. I feel like I should have known that could happen, should have been more careful, led her out on it or just gone out with her to begin with. I feel like such a horrible mom. I'd never ever ever have forgiven myself if something had happened. I'm having a hard enough time as it is, and she's okay. :( :( :(

GoldenRetrLuver
10-25-2004, 06:05 PM
Oh, Jess... {{{big hugs}}}

You are not a horrible dog mom. You're one of the best I know. I felt the exact same way when we had to rush Daisy to the vet, and I know it's very hard to get over.

I'm glad Tasha's okay, give her some hugs for me. I hope you feel better, too. :)

Tweety_Pie
10-25-2004, 06:06 PM
aww, I'm sorry your upset. What a scare that must have been!:eek: :(

I'm glad Tasha is okay. And I hope you feal better soon, and you are not a horrible dog-mom, you are an AWESOME dog mom!!!

{{HUGS}}

swimma253
10-25-2004, 06:06 PM
oh how terrible!:( I am so glad she is ok! :) You are NOT a terrible dog mom. It was just an accident.

Jamieejo85
10-25-2004, 06:08 PM
Aww..how horrible! I am sure it gave you quite a big scare there Jess! But I am happy that all is well now. Give Tasha a big smooch from me..Like Golden and Tweety said, I hope you feel better soon too:D
Jamie

Miranda_Rae
10-25-2004, 06:08 PM
{{{HUGS}}}

You are a very good dog mommy. You care SO much for your pets, and you love them very much. I hope Tasha is doing better, and I hope you are too. :D Give her a kissie and a hug. :)

tatsxxx11
10-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Oh Jess:(:(:( What a horrible day you guys have had:( But I don't want to EVER hear you say you're a bad doggie mom; NEVER!!! No one loves and cares for their pups more than you Jess. I'm just so glad to hear that Tasha's ok. You take a deep breath and go hug your baby and get got those awful thoughts out of your head. We all understand why you're so shaken, but it was an accident:( We love you guys. Please, don't be sad Jess:(:(:( And please give Tommy and Tasha a hug for me. They don't want their mommy to be sad. {{{HUGS}}} Sandra

KYS
10-25-2004, 06:17 PM
You are not a horrible mom.

When I was camping with Rocky 2 years ago.
I had him on a 15'-20' tie out.
He saw a chipmonk or something and went after it.
I was amazed that he did not kill himself.
(he did it more than once too!) :(

I am so glad Tasha is fine.
I agree scary, but you are not a bad mom!

(((hugs)))

K9soul
10-25-2004, 06:19 PM
Thank you guys. I know I'm being hard on myself, but it's so hard. I feel so responsible for them, they depend on me and trust me completely. I know Tasha loves to tear out like a rocket when I take her out sometimes, I just didn't realize or think she might not realize she was clipped to the tie-out. I know it's over, and she's okay now, but it's just so hard to get over. I feel like I've had a horrible shock to my system and I'm so shaky and emotional it's hard to deal with. I just keep stroking her head and telling her how sorry I am, and she keeps giving me kisses because she knows I'm upset and she wants to make me feel better.

tatsxxx11
10-25-2004, 06:22 PM
Keep kissing your mommy Tasha. She needs your love right now, more than ever:)

{{{HUGS}}}

Kfamr
10-25-2004, 06:59 PM
Jess, don't be so hard on yourself.
You're a WONDERFUL dog-mom... It's not your fault, it was a mere accident.

Tasha wants you to feel better and get over it, so you better do as she wants. :p {{HUGS}} to both of you special girls and to Tommy too!

dukedogsmom
10-25-2004, 07:36 PM
I would have been very scared, too. But please don't blame yourself. Tasha is safe and is now worried about you. Give her and Tommy some hugs from me and I hope you sleep well tonight. I'm so glad she's alright. Relax and try not to be too upset. Cuddle up with her and you'll feel better really soon.

DogLover9501
10-25-2004, 07:51 PM
:eek: :( How scary!!

Like the others have said, don't blame yourself!! You are far from a horrible dog-mom!

LKPike
10-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Your not a bad mommie :) What makes a person a bad doggie parent is: if they don't care for their dog when s/he is injured or in need of help. I bet Tashas really happy to have you as her mom

guster girl
10-25-2004, 08:25 PM
I think most people would feel the same way, that's just part of being a caretaker, I think. I am glad that Tasha is alright! :)

K9soul
10-25-2004, 08:43 PM
Thank you again for the words of support everyone. That is two scares I have had with Tasha this year now, I think this last one was definitely the most traumatic. I'm sure any of you who have had a bad scare know the awful feeling it is, and how it lingers for a long time, even those who haven't can probably imagine it. I'm sure she senses my insecurity tonight, normally by now she is curled up on the sofa downstairs, but tonight she is sticking close to me. I'm so glad my baby is ok.

chocolatepuppy
10-25-2004, 09:18 PM
At least it turned out ok, don't be so hard on yourself. I think we all use a little bad judgement with our babies once and awhile and beat ourselves up for it! Just so Tasha's ok , that's all that matters now! :)

greysandmoregreys
10-25-2004, 09:31 PM
Not a bad mommy at all!!!

Glad that she didn't get really hurt. We all have our blond moments, makes us human :D

I'm sure a couple extra treats and she will be all better ;)

wolf_Q
10-25-2004, 10:08 PM
How frightening! I'm so glad that Tasha is ok! Please don't EVER think that you are a bad doggie mom, you are a great dog-mom!!

K9soul
10-25-2004, 10:12 PM
Tasha right now :)

http://frank.doordolt.com/albums/Dave-and-Jess/tashanow1.jpg

http://frank.doordolt.com/albums/Dave-and-Jess/tashanow2.jpg

She decided things are ok now and went couch potato mode. Her head got kisses before and after the pics :D

dogs_4_me
10-25-2004, 10:14 PM
I'm glad she's feeling better now..:)

Miss Meow
10-25-2004, 10:15 PM
You're a great doggy mum :).

Sometimes things happen in that split second that are beyond our control or planning. Pickles got his leg caught in the curtain cords when he was younger and I bawled my eyes out and beat myself up for weeks for not cutting every single cord when I moved in. We are often harder on ourselves than anyone else could be!

popcornbird
10-25-2004, 10:27 PM
Oh my gosh!!! :( How scary!!! {{{hugs}}} to you and Tasha. You're NOT a horrible dog-mom. You're the best they could ever have. I'm glad she's alright. That must have been so scary for you. :(

LKPike
10-26-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by K9soul

http://frank.doordolt.com/albums/Dave-and-Jess/tashanow1.jpg

awwww poor tasha :( her eyes look so sad! I bet shes more upset than you, cause your not your 'happy normal' self today :(

RottiMommy49
10-26-2004, 01:33 AM
Being new here we don't know each other but I can tell you are a loving, caring Mommy and would not ever do anything that you knew would cause harm to your furkid. Don't be so hard on yourself. We have all had something happen at one time or another and it's just one of those things.....an accident.
The same thing had happened to my Nikita. She was out on her rope and saw a squirrel and off she went and ....well you know what happened. I was outside with her but couldn't do anything to stop it. Cheer up and forgive yourself for something that wasn't your fault.

Lots of Hugs
Monty, Kiki and Deb
http://ibelieveinangels.mypicgallery.com/rottiangels/debrotts_large.jpg

Holly's mom
10-26-2004, 07:08 AM
Jessica, you are a WONDERFUL dog mom!! I'm so glad Tasha is o.k. Give her an extra hug and kiss from me.

pitc9
10-26-2004, 07:13 AM
Oh Jessica.... you are a great dog mom, and a wonderful person, I'm sure everyone here knows that!! I'm glad to hear she's okay!
Now we just have to make sure that YOU are okay! :p

Logan
10-26-2004, 07:39 AM
Oh Jessica, I hate it when things like that happen, and I am first to blame myself too, but they just happen, and thankfully, Tasha is fine!!! :) She's so precious all bundled up in her blanket. She'll be just fine, and you ARE a great dog mom!!!!! :)

anna_66
10-26-2004, 08:54 AM
Like everyone else has said you are "NOT" a horrible dog-mom.
So quit blaming yourself! She's fine and that's all that's important now:)

trayi52
10-26-2004, 09:06 AM
I'm glad she is feeling better now. I just hope you are feeling better too. You are one of the best dog mummies I have ever known, so don't worry yourself so much!

Willie:)

K9soul
10-26-2004, 11:27 AM
I had expected that people would respond with concern for Tasha, but was surprised at how much concern was shown for me too. I do think like some others have said it's only natural to feel responsible for anything bad that happens to those we care for, it's awfully hard not to keep thinking "if only" or "what if." She's been getting some extra spoiling since it happened, so all she knows is she is enjoying the extra attention.

Thanks again everyone :)

ParNone
10-26-2004, 11:41 AM
Hi k9soul!

Glad to hear Tasha's okay and don't worry. Accidents happen and dogs seem to be really good about knowing that you didn't do it on purpose.

I had something similar happen to Gull a few weeks ago. I had him on a long line at my sister's, so he wouldn't jump on the kids. Well at one point, they took off running and screaming right by him. He took off running at full speed in pursuit of'em. I could see what was going to happen, but too late to stop it. Lucky for him, his full speed isn't all that fast, so when he hit the end, I don't think he got as bad of a jolt as it could of been, but he did slam back into the grass. I apologized to him and all was forgiven, with a Collie nose nudge. :)

Par...

*LabLoverKEB*
10-26-2004, 06:57 PM
No, no no, you are a wonderful doggie mom! You spoil you kids, love your kids, and spend time with them. Is that a bad mommy? I don't think so! See, you're great mom! Don't feel bad! [[[[HUGS]]]]]

GraciesMommy
10-26-2004, 07:12 PM
Just posting your feelings here proves what a wonderful mommy you are. I would be just as hard on myself, even tho it was an innocent mishap and not at all your fault. Thank God she is ok..now you be ok too! ~big big hugs

GraciesMommy
10-26-2004, 07:17 PM
I just posted before and guess what JUST happened to me and little Gracie? I put her in my husbands computer chair (we have side by side puters) on her blankie, gave her 2 toys to play with so she could sit next to me while I play here..and she reached up on his desk and took a guitar pick!! She was choking on it! Good grief!! I didn't even notice he had it sitting there..so you see..that was an innocent mistake on my part...and could have been really really bad! (and I felt bad too!) But I am just thankful that she is OK...and I just have to watch this little imp like a hawk!!

zaylagrey
10-26-2004, 07:29 PM
I think we've all felt like bad mommy's at least once. Just the other day when we were going to a meet and greet I closed the back window on Zayla's nose. :eek: Talk about feeling like a bad mom! I pulled over and consoled her and examined her mouth while I felt horrible. Luckily she came out ok.:(

shais_mom
10-26-2004, 10:31 PM
You are not a bad mommie!!!
Unforseen things happen, that is why they are accidents! :(
But I am glad that Tasha is giving mommy kisses and trying to make her feel better.
And I agree with Zaylagrey we all do things sometimes to make us feel like bad mom's.
{{Hugs to you and Tasha}}

Chica
10-31-2004, 08:27 PM
Hello,

That was a bad scare!:( I hope she is doing fine now.:)

Dogz
10-31-2004, 08:32 PM
Oh, Jess, do not be so hard on yourself. We have so many good doggie-moms on Pet Talk, and you are definately one of them.

I am so glad that Tasha is okay. It was very wise to take her to the vet to get checked over.

*hugs*

7up
10-31-2004, 09:26 PM
Hi, I have made mistakes with my dog before that could have ended up so much worse than they did and I felt terrible for not realizing it ahead of time, but when the outcome is good, I try to look at the whole thing as a blessing in disguise.

What happened with you doesn't make you a bad dog mom. It makes you a better one because now you stand little or no chance of ever having that happen again. You are probably the least likely of anyone, to go through the same ordeal.

Unfortunately, things do not always work out as good. Luck is one of the nicest gifts we can ever get in life, so try to enjoy yours. It might not come around again for a long long time!

Jay

K9soul
11-01-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by 7up
What happened with you doesn't make you a bad dog mom. It makes you a better one because now you stand little or no chance of ever having that happen again. You are probably the least likely of anyone, to go through the same ordeal.

I think you're right about that and have some good insight about it all. I'm now extremely conscious about putting either dog out on the tie-out, after I clip them I lead them a couple steps on it to make sure they know it is on. Tasha is rather afraid of it now though and won't really go off the deck with it on unless I go with her, and then she stays glued next to me as if she were on a leash.