PDA

View Full Version : Ashlee Simpson, A LIP-SYNCHER!

BCBlondie
10-25-2004, 10:28 AM
In the key of fake

Teen songbird Ashlee Simpson had a microphone malfunction on "Saturday Night Live" last night, scurrying off stage when a production glitch caught her lip-synching the wrong tune.

The pop star, younger sister of singer and TV star Jessica Simpson, sounded great belting out "Pieces of Me" in her first segment on the show. It was the same song that she butchered at August's MTV Music Video Awards, drawing withering reviews for a flat, out of key performance.

But the triumphant moment turned into a debacle when she came out to debut the song "Autobiography" for a second set. But whoever was responsible for piping in a studio-engineered rendition for Simpson to mouth screwed up, playing "Pieces" once again.

The raven-haired beauty hopped around briefly, then slinked off the stage as her hapless band half-heartedly faked away. It didn't take long for critics to vent their rage on Ashlee Simpson's official Web site.

"Finally, you're exposed for the fraud that you are," wrote an E-mail poster named drdrewby minutes after the embarrassing performance. "You have cheated your fans and people who actually thought that you had a lick of talent. You should quit the music business because you are now and always will be a complete and utter joke."

Said CowboyJeff99: "I knew she sounded like crap live, so I was 'wondering' what was going on when her voice sounded just like the radio edit."

When the cast of the live show came out to bid the audience good night, actor Jude Law tried to explain Simpson's slipup.

"What can I say folks, live TV," Law shrugged.

A still-humiliated Simpson apologized to her fans - and blamed her band for playing the wrong song.

Greg Wilson

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/245688p-210457c.html
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/story/245807p-210567c.html
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=194848
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/25/people.ashlee.simpson.ap/index.html

:rolleyes:

aly
10-25-2004, 10:33 AM
Hehe, here's what I posted in the other thread about her:

I don't believe it 100% proves she was lip-syncing. A lot of people use backup tracks and sing along with them. I know I probably would use one if I were a singer. I can only imagine how hard it is to sing and dance live and try to make it all sound and look good!

I am admittedly a fan of the Simpons, although they are spoiled brats. Their shows (especially Jessica's) on MTV are very entertaining. I feel bad for Ashlee. She's still so young and just trying to get her career going.

BCBlondie
10-25-2004, 10:39 AM
Sorry, I didn't see guster girl's post!! :o

aly
10-25-2004, 03:10 PM
Whoooooooops... color me wrong. She's now admitted to lip synching because her voice was ragged and tired from overuse. She also said it was wrong of her to blame her band.

She made a statement on her official site, which I can't link right now because my computer is being funky. I'll post the link later on.

christa
10-25-2004, 03:15 PM
Ah, we can't be surprised about this, LOL . . . I mean, think about it, these girls get out there and dance their hearts out, jump around, and keep their breath? I always said that there's no way that Britney Spears actually sings at live events! It's obvious with her. Unless she can sing without moving her mouth :rolleyes:

I like Ashlee . . . she's just getting started . . . I hope that this doesn't damage her rep because she's worked so hard to get to have the same stats as her sis.

:D

lizzielou742
10-25-2004, 03:18 PM
This pretty much covers it.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1492993/10252004/simpson_ashlee.jhtml

Hey, at least she kinda apologized for blaming the band. I don't think it was a good idea for her to use the F-word twice in her post though!!

Oh well! :rolleyes:

RICHARD
10-25-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by christa
I hope that this doesn't damage her rep because she's worked so hard to get to have the same stats as her sis.

1-36-22-36???????

Someone told me that the first number was her hat size....:confused:

aly
10-25-2004, 03:20 PM
I don't think it'll damage her permanently. It hasn't seemed to bring her down TOO much. She is embarrassed, but at least she already put out an apology and will be making a public appearance tonight. They also showed her out partying on Saturday night right after the catastrophe.

I have no problem with the entertainers who lip synch if they have a good reason (such as strained voice or lots of dancing). I'd rather watch them lip synch and dance than just stand there like a dead fish and sing live.

Lady's Human
10-25-2004, 06:09 PM
Milli Vanilli's careers ended over Lip Synching. Maybe it's okay this time because she's blonde and sprays her clother on every morning?

Edwina's Secretary
10-25-2004, 06:20 PM
I thought the issue with Milli Vanilli was that they were lipsynching to other people's singing. Is that what she did?

And isn't she the brunette?

Uabassoon
10-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Lady's Human
Milli Vanilli's careers ended over Lip Synching. Maybe it's okay this time because she's blonde and sprays her clother on every morning?

Edwina's Secretary is right. The problem wasn't that they were lip synching. The problem was that the music wasn't even theirs. Usually when artists lip synch they are doing it to their own track not someone else's voice.

aly
10-25-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary

And isn't she the brunette?

She is brunette now, but a natural blonde.

guster girl
10-25-2004, 08:43 PM
And, heavens no, I can't believe I'm sticking up for no talent "singers"! But, she actually doesn't wear a lot of skimpy clothes, either. She's more the skater/punk look, I thought.

aly
10-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Did you guys see her on the Radio Music Awards tonight? It was so cute and funny! She did great! I have to commend her for pulling herself quickly out of that mess and poking fun of herself. She's just 19 and handled her mistake maturely.

guster girl
10-25-2004, 09:46 PM
My roomie and his girl are watching tv, so, I didn't see the show, I missed her performance. Glad to hear it went well, even if I'm not a fan. ;)

dogs_4_me
10-25-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by aly
Did you guys see her on the Radio Music Awards tonight? It was so cute and funny! She did great! I have to commend her for pulling herself quickly out of that mess and poking fun of herself. She's just 19 and handled her mistake maturely.

I agree, she is a great singer and I am happy that this wont mess up her career.

aly
10-26-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by guster girl
My roomie and his girl are watching tv, so, I didn't see the show, I missed her performance. Glad to hear it went well, even if I'm not a fan. ;)

When she performed, she re-enacted the SNL mishap, hehe. She turned to the band and said "HEY you guys are playing the wrong song ..... just kidding!"

zippy-kat
10-26-2004, 01:19 PM
Ok. I know people with acid reflux but I've NEVER heard of it causing them to lose their voice.

Maybe their's isn't as severe as Ashlee's but hmmmmmm....

catland
10-26-2004, 01:23 PM
She should have just used the famous expression of another famous Simpson.

DOH!

Lady's Human
10-26-2004, 09:08 PM
I'd have more respect for someone who is a musician if they canceled their performance rather than rely on Lip Synching if they were having problems. There's a long list of 70's and 80's rock bands who have cancelled performances because the lead singer has a sore throat, etc.

Also, if you have to lip synch because you can't gyrate around on stage and sing at the same time, HIRE SOME BACKUP DANCERS. When I pay to go to a live performance, I want just that, a live performance. If I want to listen to lip synching, I'll just go listen to a cover band.

lovemyshiba
10-28-2004, 08:51 PM
hee hee

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/popcandy/2004-10-26-pop-candy_x.htm