PDA

View Full Version : Flyball - line judge

slleipnir
10-24-2004, 09:09 PM
I was sooo nervous, but I did it. Today there was a flyball tounry here and I vollenteered as line judge. I sat with someone who showed me how to do it for like 3 races, and the rest I was alone :eek: After like 3 hours of it though I think I got the hang of it! it's just so much you need to look out for..like, did the dog start after the green light was on? did he go down all the jumps?? did he get the ball and bring it back over all the jumps and start line? did the other dog pass too soon? Did the handler reach over the start line? Are thejumps ok? Ahh, it was kinda overwhelming, but it was fun to see flyball like that! it looked so fun.

Zeke is doing well, he doesn't have class till nov 1. He needs to practice with the ball and the ramp. He won't get 4 paws on it. Other then that he;s doing so awesome!! The ppl say he has a lot of potential, and after watching the races today, he's (I think anyway) a lot faster then a lot of the dogs :)

To work on his ball problem(he won't focus on it in class) I've been working withhim going to get the ball (while dead...not me throwing it or even playing with it first) I tell him 'go get the ball!' and he has to go find it and bring it back...no zeke, the BALL not the BONE! so off he goes again to find the ball :rolleyes: he's doing well, he goes and finds the ball now, even if I put it in another room, he seems to know what 'ball' means now.

I want to make a ramp to work on that too...but I'm so busy this week with my midterms :(

I'm very proud of Zeke, he's no where near perfect, and some of the dogs seem to be doing a lot better, but I never thought I'd even get him to focus on me.

cali
10-24-2004, 09:22 PM
lol congrats! I did good line judging at your first tourny lol I know I cant line judge, but I am always assigned the job of ball shag anyway lol most new people tend to stay with box judging ;) much easier lol what club are you training with anyway? I always like to check out the other clubs :D

slleipnir
10-24-2004, 09:24 PM
They're called Fast N' Furious. I believe they're a pretty good canadian team? lol...It's small here though so I have no idea if they're popular.

They have a website..like... flyballdogs.com/fastnfurious i think

Kater
10-24-2004, 09:36 PM
Sounds really neat, Audrey! :D
I know Zeke will continue to make you very proud! Hopefully you'll have time to work on making a ramp at some point. School always gets in the way!!! :rolleyes: :p
Speaking of your puppers...aren't we due for some new pics??? PLEASE! :D

cali
10-24-2004, 09:42 PM
does look like a good team lol, and really big! your fasted team is about the same as Storm, PDQs fastest team, :p

Kfamr
10-24-2004, 09:50 PM
I'll bet you had fun!
Good boy Zeke! You've made momma proud :D

Dogz
10-24-2004, 09:55 PM
That sounds like a fun event!

Good boy, Zeke! I am sure he will get the hang of it in no time, Audrey.

I really want to do some flyball classes with Prince, it sounds like fun! So that's sledding, agility, and flyball?! :p

micki76
10-24-2004, 10:01 PM
That sounds pretty cool! :D

Good for Zeke! I can't imagine getting either one of mine to focus in any way, shape, or form for flyball. :(

bckrazy
10-25-2004, 01:35 AM
oh yay!! good job! I know, it is *so* hard, and so confusing... I don't think I could ever do that. everything just goes so fast, but I guess you get used to it. I'm still not used to it! I know Zeke will do so well, just keep practicing that swimmers turn!

About ball motivation, just make sure you don't leave balls laying around the house or yard, only let him play ball when you're doing flyball, or when you're playing fetch. Make a huuge deal about the ball, throw it around, roll it, and generally tease him with it :D :D he will do sooo well. Gonzo and me, we still can't really get into flyball because he still has problems passing.... other dogs will always be more fun to him than any old ball, so he'll always have to be a start dog in only fun matches, I think. Flyball is so much fun anyway! good luck with everything!

cloverfdx
10-25-2004, 05:31 AM
It sounds as though you did a great job Audrey :D. I was terribly nervous my first time line stewarding aswell (And messed up ALOT), but now it is second nature to me, but a bit hard if a team from your club is racing in the oppersite lane and you forget to time your lane :o.

I am so happy to hear that Zeke is doing so well in training and he is focussing on YOU :D, that is great. I am off to check out your clubs website.

:D Please keep us updated.

KYS
10-25-2004, 08:42 AM
Good for you and Zeke and it sounds like you did a great job
as a judge..