PDA

View Full Version : Thought about getting a Lorikeet...

ILoveReptiles
10-24-2004, 05:52 PM
BF & I thought hard about getting a lorikeet of our own, but after researching it thoroughly, we both decided it would be better not to. I have all the pets I can handle for now, and it wouldn't be fair to such a specialized care needing bird.

Oh well.

guineapiggie13
10-24-2004, 06:13 PM
WOW! :eek: I saw a picture of a rainbow lorikeet and they are abosloutley beautiful! They are from Australia aren't they? It's too bad you couldn't get a lorikeet.
Also, what does "BF" mean? :confused:

K9soul
10-24-2004, 06:17 PM
I'm assuming BF means boyfriend, correct me if I'm wrong :)

Well it's good that you guys really looked into it and made your decision based on what you felt was best for both your present pets and the lorikeet. Perhaps someday in the future you'll go ahead :)

ILoveReptiles
10-24-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by guineapiggie13
WOW! :eek: I saw a picture of a rainbow lorikeet and they are abosloutley beautiful! They are from Australia aren't they? It's too bad you couldn't get a lorikeet.
Also, what does "BF" mean? :confused:

BF = Boyfriend :)

I believe they are from Australia. And according to my research, they only eat nectar and fruit, not seeds. Plus, as a result of their diet, they are messy... and they need their cage cleaned every day, as well as constant interaction - more than I have time for, so I decided it would not be fair.
;)

guineapiggie13
10-24-2004, 06:22 PM
ohh, ok I see now! I think that if the rainbow lorikeet was an only pet, it would be an easier pet.

Giselle
10-24-2004, 09:23 PM
LOL, yes Lories are very messy eaters. My breeder knows a few, and the SF Zoo has a whole flock of Lories. They're naturally inquisitive and naturally tame. Imo, they'd be the equivalent of a 'Too if you kept one as a pet. Cuddly, I bet.

chrissycat21
10-25-2004, 04:44 PM
Lorikeets are beautiful! I saw some at the San Diego Wild Animal Park where you got to go in and feed them nectar. Such pretty birdies!

CathyBogart
10-27-2004, 03:23 PM
Hehehehe, we don't carry Lorikeets at my store because of the way they SPRAY their poop everywhere!! Some even hang upside-down and spray it WAAAAY out of their cages!!! Plus, their diet is kind of a pain to reproduce.