PDA

View Full Version : Ticks

elizabethann
10-24-2004, 04:16 PM
Though I use Frontline on my dog, he still gets ticks. Does this happen to anybody else's dog? Am I doing something wrong? Please help!

greysandmoregreys
10-24-2004, 04:18 PM
Your pets can still get fleas and tick on them even though you put frontline on them.

Once the little buggers bite the animal that has frontline applied it should die within 24 hrs.

guster girl
10-24-2004, 04:19 PM
I've never had that problem, but, I haven't lived anywhere that ticks were a major problem. I don't know if maybe not all ticks are covered in the protection? I'm just brainstorming....I know there are different kinds of ticks. Ummm....maybe check and make sure you're using the correct dosage for the weight of the dog.....and, that the medication is going onto the skin.....is your dog able to lick it off? Again, not assuming anything, just brainstorming!

elizabethann
10-24-2004, 04:21 PM
I didn't realize they can still get ticks even though we use Frontline. Bummer. Thanks for the comments everybody and the brainstorming. I can't wait until Winter. I've been told ticks aren't around the colder times of the year (Dec/Jan/Feb/March).

micki76
10-24-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by greysandmoregreys
Your pets can still get fleas and tick on them even though you put frontline on them.

Once the little buggers bite the animal that has frontline applied it should die within 24 hrs.

Correct! Which is why we still treat our yard once we see one. Usually when we do see one, it's crawled off one of the dogs and onto us! :eek:

BitsyNaceyDog
10-24-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by greysandmoregreys

Originally posted by micki76
Correct! Which is why we still treat our yard once we see one. Usually when we do see one, it's crawled off one of the dogs and onto us! :eek:

Actually that is untrue, the flea or tick DOES NOT have to bite your dog before it will work.
here is a link to frontlines website (http://frontline.us.merial.com/faq/faq.asp#q2).

guster girl
10-24-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by KBlaix
Actually that is untrue, the flea or tick DOES NOT have to bite your dog before it will work.
here is a link to frontlines website (http://frontline.us.merial.com/faq/faq.asp#q2).

I don't think they were saying the tick HAS to bite, just that if it does, it should die within a certain amount of time...that's how I read it, anyway! :)

greysandmoregreys
10-24-2004, 05:25 PM
HMMMM, I know that what happens is that the frontline goes into the sebasus glands (sp?) and then in turns coats the hair on the pet.

I know it says the fleas don't have to bite but what about the ticks? Now you got me wondering :)

shutterbug0303
10-24-2004, 05:30 PM
As far as ticks go, we don't usually see a problemw with them unless we are out frolicing in the woods. As for the fleas though...Frontline helps a lot, but not a total cure for Chloe. I have to keep it on her more often than once a month...usually every 3 weeks. I still see the ocassional flea, even with the increased use, and she still scratches uncontrollably. She does have very sensitive skin and is allergic to so much...so in that respect, both Frontline and low doses of children's benadryl (sp?) help. Anyone else have a really itchy pup?? :)