PDA

View Full Version : Pit Bull banning: Do you think it's fair?

guineapiggie13
10-24-2004, 09:22 AM
Lately, Ontario's government has officially banned pit bulls across the province. I am in the middle of banning them. It is true that people need to keep them leashed up and not loose so they don't go attacking people everywhere. But then again, if the dogs are given one more chance so they could be trained and calmed down a bit, they would be fine. I saw on tv a poor pit bull being dragged across the cement to the police car by policeman and it broke my heart to see it so scared being dragged away by the leash. I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

nea
10-24-2004, 10:01 AM
I think its HORRIBLE. :mad:

Pit bulls are NOT bad dogs. They are sweet, loving, silly dogs who make great companions and family members.

guineapiggie13
10-24-2004, 12:28 PM
After seeing the post "Pit Bull Video" (In Dog House), I now see that pit bulls can be great pets if they are in a caring, loving home. I was a heart-breaking video, so I wouldn't reccomend watching it if you can't take seeing pics of abused pit bulls. Some people look at pit bulls as one-dimensional: a viscious and killing breed. But, there is only one thing I do not understand. In one part it said Labs and cocker spaniels can be just as viscious. How?

CathyBogart
10-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Pitties are the biggest goofs that have ever existed...

nea
10-24-2004, 04:06 PM
[i] But, there is only one thing I do not understand. In one part it said Labs and cocker spaniels can be just as viscious. How? [/B]

Labs and cockers are like any other breed of dog. If abused, or poorly bred, provoked, etc. etc., they can be dangerous. You don't hear about them being "vicious" as much as pit bulls (or rottweilers, german shepherds, etc.) because the media doesn't seem to think its nearly as "important" as if the attack was caused by a pit bull (or dog resembling one...).

I knew an agressive cocker once. He was a purebred dog, from a reputable breeder. But his owner was ingorant. She wasn't purposly bad, and actually did love the dog. But, she was ignorant. And did not raise the poor dog right. So he grew up being insecure, teased by her kids (who probably didn't mean any harm), and wasn't socialized correctly, for the first 2 years of his life. The reslut was that this dog was scared to death of kids, defensive with other dogs, and plain insecure around everything. And he responded with agression. Not his fault... But nonetheless, not good. And yes, he was a cocker spaniel.Any breed can be agressive.

binka_nugget
10-24-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by guineapiggie13
But, there is only one thing I do not understand. In one part it said Labs and cocker spaniels can be just as viscious. How?

Labs, Cockers, and Pitbulls are all dogs. Give a dog to an idiotic "owner", and you can easily end up with a vicious dog, regardless of breed. Also, Labs and Cockers are WAYYY overbred (resulting in poorly bred dogs with bad temperments). I have a Sheltie, bet ya never thought of seeing a vicious Sheltie, have you? He was raised in a horrible home (and probably wasn't the most well bred dog), resulting in his human agression. The point is, it can happen to any dog of any breed.

I think the ban is just plain stupid. Ban Pitbulls, then what? The morons are going to go look for a new breed to ruin.

guineapiggie13
10-24-2004, 04:16 PM
Okay, now I see. Thanks, nea. I think I should have posted this in the Dog general or somewhere else. oops

guineapiggie13
10-24-2004, 04:19 PM
Also, thank you. :D I totally agree, and I think that pitbulls are just like any other dog, and can be as sweet as a poodle or chihuahua.

ILoveReptiles
10-24-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by guineapiggie13
Also, thank you. :D I totally agree, and I think that pitbulls are just like any other dog, and can be as sweet as a poodle or chihuahua.

Chihuahua's aren't necessarily sweet. I've seen my share of nasty ones. They're hyper, and they like to go for the ankles if they are mean.

The one in the complex I live in had a very bad case of food aggression, but after bringing it to the attention of the owners, they dealt with it and the dog is ok now.

guineapiggie13
10-24-2004, 05:33 PM
Yes, I know one chihuahua that was a bit of a nipper, but I was refering to to breeds of dog that are mostly sweet.

ILoveReptiles
10-24-2004, 06:00 PM
I firmly believe that any dog has the potential to be nasty or sweet, depending on how it is raised and what its environment is like.

I don't think it's a function of the breed, but then again that's just my opinion.

Because of this, I do think that banning pit bulls is wrong.

Giselle
10-24-2004, 09:33 PM
I believe banning Pit Bulls was arrogant and ignorant. Rather than out of sight, out of mind, they could work on behavior and breeding. How about letting reputable breeders breed? Pit Bulls are inbred and overbred because some aren't even used for purposes other than as "bait" dogs in dog fights. As one girl put it, punish the deed not the breed.

Things like food aggression and dog aggression DO happen in every singly itty bitty breed. My Pekingese has food aggression. Yeah, my PEKINGESE. It's so simple. You can prevent aggression by socializing and training and nurturing. You can fix current problems over time with praise and positive reinforcement. Besides, once the APBTs are out of the question Rotts, Dobes, Staffies, anything you can think of---banned.

puppyluvs
10-24-2004, 10:11 PM
BIG NO !!!

K9soul
10-24-2004, 10:46 PM
Very well put Giselle, those are precisely my feelings on it as well. I recently did a lot of looking around and reading about the pit bull situation and my conclusion has been they would do a lot more to "fix" the problem by making and enforcing strict laws in anything to do with fighting dogs, owning fighting dogs, and even spectators of dog fights as well as stricter animal cruelty laws.